1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Kai

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Rin, Jan 26, 2010.

1. Rin

Rin Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter

Well, I finally got around to watching HnNKn-Kai. It sucked me in like a vacuum cleaner and had a rather satisfying end.

Anyone else watch it?

BTW, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, be sure to watch Higurashi no Naku Koro ni first before watching Kai, otherwise Kai won't make sense.

I guess I need to get my hands on Rei and see how that stacks up.

Also, I wanna take Hanyuu home.

2. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

I've seen it, it blew my mind away. Funnily enough, I watched Kai before I watched the first season, and it still made sense to me. In fact, on seeing both I like Kai better then the first season.

It has a fantastic way of building tension that the first season didn't do as well.

Have you seen Umineko no Naku Koro ni? The anime is okay to mediocre, but the Sound Novel is also awesome. It's not a sequel, but it's When They Cry 3. Grab Rei as soon as you can as it is AWEEESSOME, and the connections it makes to Bernkastel from Umineko make it even better.

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

The Higurashi series is one of the best out there IMO. It encompasses so many genres, and is just generally addicting. I watched both seasons when I first discovered it in a few days. I went on an anime binge and watched like 12 episodes in a row.

Higurashi is quite a bit better than Umineko though. That's not to say Umineko is bad, in fact, it's actually better than mostly everything else. It just doesn't stand up well compared to Higurashi.

And Higurashi Rei is very good too. It provides some great insight into Rika's character, and the main conflict/situation presented in that short series is quite wtf (in a good way).

4. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

When Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni first came out, I was shocked because it was the first time where everyone was killing everything left and right. But then at the same time, I got interested in the whole mystery and wanted to know who the true killer behind everything was. The first season was gory, mysterious, and just plain fucked up at some parts.

The second season was alright though I still liked the first more. It just focused mostly on backstory and finally answering most of the questions. Could of had more graphic deaths but the story made up for it.

5. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

Are you referring to the Anime or the VN? The Higurashi Anime is a lot better then Umineko's, but with the VN's it's the other way around. I highly recommend trying them both sometime, you can buy the first 4 arcs of Higurashi in English here and Umineko can be imported and then patched over at Witch Hunt.

6. Demons In The Night

What do you men by VN? I know both series are based off a series of computer games and then adapted into manga and anime formats. Are you talking about the game?

7. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I loved the first series but Kai was painful to watch.

I think the entire Kechii is god got tiring fast enough.

8. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

VN stands for Visual Novel. VN's aren't quite computer games, more then anything they are like the half way point between Animation and a Novel - The text is given over the top of static images with Sound/BGM. It isn't a common format anywhere except Japan.

So yes, if anyone refers to them as a game, they are referring to the VN, although I don't consider them games, as they usually have very little interactivity except maybe the occasional choice.

9. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

I have only seen the first season, and at first was put off when the first reset happened. Over all it was great. While the questions, why everything happens isn't answered in S1, I was pleased by the end.

I never got around to watch the second season because the reviews I read weren't that great.

If anyone looks for something similar, go for Kara no Kyoukai, a movie series with 7 movies. Boy and girl, girl with a trauma, boy doesn't know if girl is a mass murderer.

It's written by Type-Moon (the one which made Fate/Stay Night), with more violence than "When they Cry" and with an awesome soundtrack.

[​IMG]

10. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

I have all 7 movies sitting on my HDD, finished 'getting' them yesterday.

Even if reviews don't usually like Kai, I found it one of the few anime I watched and steamrolled through without sleeping during one night, so give it a chance! =)

11. Demons In The Night

Dude, you're really doing yourself a disservice by not watching the second season. Most of the big answers and reveals come in the second season. If you just watch the first series without the second, it would be like reading the first 100 pages of a mystery novel and then skipping the remaining 200 pages.

And what reviews are you looking at? Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai is one of the best rated anime series on animenewsnetwork.com

12. SmileOfTheKill

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni Kai was terrible though. I couldn't watch like the last five episodes due to the overwhelming power of love and hope and that crap.

13. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

You didn't watch the last five episodes? While Rika does get all sappy towards the end of the season, the next episodes are very dark and are probably some of the best in the whole series!

Oh, and further up you said -

Umm... what? They never say anything like that, what is discussed is that all the kakera without Keiichi always have the Hinamizawa Disaster, and usually a lot quicker then the ones where he is present. The only 'god' in the series is Hanyuu, who is the real spirit of what the villages call Oyashiro-sama.

Although of course Takano wants to usurp that title for herself - which is what you miss by not watching the finale.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2010
  14. Demons In The Night

this does not mean this:

It's terrible because you disagree with some of its most basic themes?

Shit, I can disagree with the particular themes of an anime while still objectively recognizing that it is quality. I hope that is not the extent of your criticism.

15. Rin

I watched Rei. It should have lacked the first and fifth episodes. It seemed inconsistent and ill-thought-out:

1. When did Loli!Hanyuu have kids?
    2. Are they seriously suggesting that in all the shards Rika's visited, that never once, before this one, did she jump into one where her mother, and not Rika, was the incarnation of Oyashiro-sama? Of course, Hanyuu just says its a dream, but . . .

Also,
    What is it with Japanese people and diseases? Ring was caused by Small Pox merging with a psychic, and now this?

16. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

...internet piracy powers, go!

17. Demons In The Night

lol, you don't even have to download most anime or use torrents. You can find streaming sites that stream both licensed and unlicensed anime; it just takes a minute or two on google trying out different search combinations. I'm pretty sure that Higurashi is still unlicensed in America, and you can find both seasons on megavideo.com

18. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

While you can find Kai on streaming sites, the first season is licensed by Funimation, so Kai being licensed may eventually happen. I have the season 1 box set =).

19. SmileOfTheKill

That is my fault. You can't call anyone god if there is a God in the series. I just got tired of Keiichi being hope and dreams and win and that stuff.

I know it got dark. In fact, the reason I hate it isn't because of the theme.

I said it a sentence ago, but I say it again anyways with MORE detail. I am fine with hope, it was just Keiichi, and the fact everyone lived. Satoshi Hojo lived, and with it, all of a sudden everyone was big family love time and the entire thing felt so contrived it was stupid. I don't mind hope, but I do mind when the story starts to feel like a fic fix ending. I didn't say that correctly the first time due to me just noticing what time it was when I was posting. I had to get moving.

20. Rin

Keiichi was merely a catalyst for Rika to realize that she's not bound to the same fate.

---------- Post automerged at 23:26 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

I've been watching Umineko. It's alright, I guess. Not really my style.

On the one hand, you have a bona fide witch killing people in front of Battler (what cruel parent names their kid that?!?!) and him insisting that she doesn't exist. He's fucking talking to her. Seriously? If you don't believe she exists, then don't talk to her and just dismiss her as your own schizophrenic hallucination! And then she accepts. Seriously? If you really have that kind of power, just kill the little puke and be done with it.

So far, the only thing that's perked my attention is adult-looking Rika, or Berkenstal, as she's called in this.