1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Sun Soul by 50Caliberchaos - M - Pokemon

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dilla, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

Title: The Sun Soul
    Author: 50Caliberchaos
    Rating: M
    Fandom: Pokemon
    Chapters: 38
    Words: 343,431
    Updated: February 13, 2013
    Published: September 10, 2009

Pairings: Ash K./Satoshi & Misty/Kasumi
    Link: Right Here
    Summary: The world is a dangerous, violent place, and mankind vies for its very existence on a planet prowled by terrifying monsters and powerful creatures. Ash of Pallet Town, a talented trainer, knowing this all too well, sets out to change everything.

This is a Pokemon fic that actually makes our cute little Pokemon quite lethal. Don't worry, it hasn't turned into a fanboy's dream of blood, guts, and gore with no plot. I really like Ash's and Misty's characterization here. The only gripe I have is that this author's let me down a coupe of times, but I'm hopeful it won't happen this time.

5/5 from the first seven chapters

Checked by Minion, May 12, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2015
  2. Chaoticblues

Chaoticblues Professor

I found this a while ago and it has since become my favourite pokemon fic XD.

3. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Since I started out in FF with Pokemon fics, I'mma give this a try.

Delia is not Oak's daughter. Wtf.
    Nevermind, LOL

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  4. artenry

artenry Guest

It's a dark, nitty-gritty world with some stark realities. I watched the Pokemon series when I was a child, and I played the game series, but never did I stop to think about what a world like that would actually mean for humanity.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Terrible, self-parodic start. Mediocre writing coupled with the fact that the writer went overboard with the violence, with the pokemon devouring another one. It's obvious he wanted to show how grim-dark his universe is, and the shock value isn't actually that great. It gets more tolerable later though. 3/5.

6. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I've got to disagree, Andro. I felt like putting us in a familiar situation -that being Ash Ketchum out in the wilds right outside Pallet Town, then having a Rattata of all things nearly rip his leg and arm off was quite intriguing. Definitely enough so that I wanted to continue reading, and now it's two in the morning and I'm happily waiting for the next chapter.

Excellent find, with good pacing and action, though Ash is inordinately lucky at points. Still, with the lacking of decent Pokemon fics out there this is the fucking golden jubilee in the rough! I'd easily give it 5/5 for what's already written, as well as the deviations the author has taken from canon.

No way has Misty been working for Team Rocket all along. No doubt they tricked her into thinking the trainers were the ones stealing the pokemon, or something equally as TResque. It kind of makes it obvious when the pairing is Ash/Misty...

7. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I approve, though a few minor things niggle. There's a lot of wtf pokemon type weakness/move choices going on (Fire attacks wrecking waters, Gyarados using special attacks, Pika-gility owning lots of stuff), but that's more or less faithful to the anime so I'm not much bothered. The dark aspect is a little thick in places, with the constant homicidal dangers of the pokeverse nearly killing our heroes practically every other paragraph, but I suppose that's way better than a bunch of extremely dangerous animals all living in peace and harmony.

On the plus side, the battles are cool and well described, the main characters are generally not totally retarded, and there seems to be a lot of setting and backstory about. Though character angst is present it isn't shoveled at us every 10 words and doesn't usually get in the way of people doing competent things like adventure and plan.

All and all, its a pretty good fic by Pokemon Anime standards, though honestly, this is an M rated fic and Ash and Misty have been all over each other for more than half of it, and been through half a dozen near death situations; they need to have wild sex already, if only for realism's sake.

4/5

8. Seratin

High Score:
    Having read it all...much awesomeness.

Seriously. This is the best fic in that fandom hands down. It's even better than the vast majority of HP.

You put a fish in a fire and what happens? It cooks. The world felt real, something that I could never imagine saying about any pokemon fic.

There were tiny little things that annoyed me but they were dwarfed by the amount of times I switched to irc and went:
    <Seratin> This fic is fucking awesome.
    <Seratin> 8D
    <Seratin> <3

Something a Harry Potter fic hasn't made me do in a long time. 5/5

9. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

I do quite enjoy the darkness of the fic, and the whole "this is our world, and we'll roll with it" attitude the characters have - hell, Ash and Misty stealing off of dead bodies was just my favourite example of the dark, gritty, aspect to this world, a world so often turned into a kid's thing... It's just refreshingly great to see a fic like this.

And I totally agree with Rhys - I honestly expected wild Ash/Misty sex back in Viridian Forest, even though I now doubt that they'll be doing that anytime soon. So yeah, this is Library worthy or what have you - just a good, well written, fic. Rare for the Pokemon fandom, so I'll treasure it!

10. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Awesome: noir!pokemon ftw!

The constant repetition of pointing out how cruel the world is was a little over done, but I don't think it's really a problem. In fact, what bugged me was the borderline deus ex machina escapes they had from near death on close succession.

But even that can't stop this from being full of win.

I played Pokemon when I was younger but once I got a bit older it seemed so... puerile? Immature? This fixes that.

The comments about Ash's exceptional abilities are interesting. Especially about how the Pokemon seem to know his instructions before he says anything... Aren't there psychics in Pokemon cannon?

Also, I suspect that Misty's sister is part of Team Rocket and likely the one who was actually killing people. After her comments about `all means necessary' and quasi-seductive attitude....

11. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

I felt the same way.

As a hardcore purist-Pokemon nerd, I always thought it was a shame the series didn't grow with it's viewers, instead trying to appeal to the new generation. Understandable, but sad nonetheless.

This fanfiction delivered, big time. The writing is great, the adult themes aren't exaggerated nor "childish" and the plot is both good and somewhat canon consistent.

I do wonder though by exactly which canon this story follows; the anime or the games. Most of the story's elements are obviously taken from the anime, but "core" cities and Great/Ultra balls [not shown in the original series] are elements from the games. It doesn't bother me if the author decided to combine the two canons, but I do want to know what he will be taking from each.

Besides that, for being the first of it's kind (i.e a Pokemon fic that does not suck), 5/5.

Edit: Just wanted to add that unlike most fics these days, reading this fic is fun. It's not the same old song in a slightly different variation, it's new and refreshing. Truly a pleasure.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  12. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

The story seems to be a mix of the Pokemon Adventures manga with the Anime characters and then add some more grim dark and then set to blend.

13. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

The manga? Here? I don't see it.

14. Seratin

High Score:
    Eh, I don't care. It reminds me of the games mixed with a dose of realism. Which makes me want more. I've never craved an update so badly. :|

IMO, this could be the Summer of change of the pokemon fandom.

15. Sully

Sully Groundskeeper

Pokemon trainers looting human corpses in search of supplies? Count me in.

16. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I like it so far; it's definitely a darker take on Pokemon but it doesn't go to an absurd level of GrimDarkGore like a lot of darker fanfics can do. Curious to see how the rest of the fic will decelop.

17. lucis

lucis Seventh Year

Here's to hoping!

I wonder what circumstances lead to a fic's memes becoming widespread?

In Viridian Forest? Worried about being attacked at any moment?

Update:

I need to revise my stance on Misty. I was rereading chapter 3 and read:

Misty stepped back and simply observed as Ash rolled the body over.... she trailed off as her eyes caught the little motif embossed in the lower right corner of the card, the letters ‘TR’ cast in red enamel. “TR,” Misty mumbled reflexively.“I saw that too,” said Ash, turning back to the corpse and quickly rummaging through some of the pockets inside the man’s vest. “Any idea what it means?” He pulled out a small leather purse and shook it. Coins jingled inside and he slipped reached around his back, putting it in his pack.
    “No,” Misty answered immediately, flicking the card away. “Ash we’re leaving right n-”

...“So you two are the ones who killed my partner,” she said, tossing her ebon hair out of her face and glaring angrily at Misty. “Twin Needle!” she shouted, prompting the second Beedrill to rocket forward towards Misty.

.... “Misty?” she asked quickly as though she couldn’t believe what she saw.
    Misty’s face froze in a mask of horror as she glanced at Ash from the corner of her eye. “Starmie! Double-Edge!” she shouted.
    Quick as a thought the purple Pokémon flung itself through the air, spinning like a shuriken towards the downed trainer. Ash could barely process what Misty had said before Starmie passed by the trainer, stopped in midair and turned around to face the now silent woman.

That's pretty incriminating. I don't think her sister is innocent, either, though.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. Snarf

Snarf Squanchin' Party Bro! ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think it's the fact that a lot of people are going 'holy shit, I love it!' at this fic, and the more it's up on the boards the more people are going to read it, and thus end up imitating it.

19. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Good story, so far. I can really respect this Ash about a jillion times more than the canon one.

5/5

20. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    That's not particularly difficult...

Quite a pleasant surprise to read. It's laid on thick at times as has been noted, but it's a very nice portrayal of how a world would be if it were filled with giant monsters that could spit fire or lightening. The game and the show are nicely twisted as they remain recognizable yet wholly different, fitting a much more darker world.