1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Thinking in Little Green Boxes by DireSquirrel - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Kensington, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Title: Thinking in Little Green Boxes
    Author: DireSquirrel
    Rating: T
    Fandom: Harry Potter/Marvel (Deadpool, X-Men, Avengers, Spiderman, Generation X, X-Force, Excalibur)
    DLP Category: Humor
    Pairing: NA
    Summary: The ever friendly and cuddly Merc with a Mouth discovers a baby named Harry on his doorstep.
    Link: http://www.tthfanfic.org/Story-21031/DireSquirrel+Thinking+in+Little+Green+Boxes.htm

Cons: It really helps to know your Marvel-verse. While the cast is used extremely well in my opinion, I think I would have been a bit more lost if I hadn't been an X-Men geek in elementary school. There are a few noticeable spelling/punctuation errors.

Pros: I found this story hysterically funny. So far up through 18 chapters the humor has remained consistent. Oddly enough, I generally hate anything to do with Deadpool due to the ways most writers tend to write him as the most annoying character in existence. In this story, with the first few chapters from Deadpool's perspective in first-person to transition to Harry in third-person, I was able to grasp the humor of Deadpool (and Harry to a degree) well enough that the story was pretty damn entertaining.

Conclusion: This story isn't going to blow anyone's mind for the drama and characterization. That said, DireSquirrel uses the casts of both HP and Marvel efficiently to make for an extremely entertaining read.

4/5

Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
  2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The entire thing happens to fast as he doesn't write enough details.

Too many people I don't know are in the story without any good explanations of who they are.

Uses the Deadpool is thinking in the little boxes joke even though the bloody thing is in text and that joke has been used enough that even I have heard of it.

This sucks. 1/5.

3. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It feels like edited highlights from a longer story, to be honest. The number of characters that show up feels more like the author saying "Look how much I know about comics!" than anything else, and a humour story that makes me chuckle twice in six chapters just fails, really.

Technically speaking, it's not bad, just bland.

2/5

4. Vir

Vir Centauri Ambassador ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's not funny at all. I don't get it. 1/5.

5. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Ran into this one a while ago. Too fast, way too fast. The humor only works if you actually know the marvel characters. Unless the author gives a background it's going to be hard for the rest of us to follow a story like this.

6. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

I've been following it, but it's not great. Worth a chuckle every now and again, but not library worthy.

3/5

7. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

I didn't like it.

I gave it 2/5 because I find the thought of Neville going on an epic quest to save his parents from insanity both awesome and very, very funny.

Other then that it sucked.

8. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

..I guess this is an aquired taste.

I fucking loved it 5/5

Maybe because I got all the references. :p

9. Stenstyren

Stenstyren Professor

Mehh, I don't even know who this Deadpool guy is so I guess this isn't for me. Never read a marvel comic in my life.

From what I saw, 1/5. I won't rate though, since I don't understand the universe.

10. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

It's an alright story. Nothing really stands out to me except a couple laughs here and there. I don't think I've ever seen Deadpool either, and I watched most of the Justice League episodes.

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Justice League is DC you fool! This is Marvel!

Yeah, I think by submitting this I've learned a couple salient lessons. First, I may have overestimated the amount of general knowledge in regards to X-men in particular you people had. Second, I think I was a much bigger comic book nerd when I was a little kid than I remembered.

But at least one person got the story. Yay Jon!

12. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    As has been mentioned, it feels less like a story and more like a summary of one.

Further, it's simply not funny. I got the jokes. They're just not good ones.

13. Rhapsody Belle

Rhapsody Belle Sixth Year

As a crackfic, I highly enjoyed it. I even got a few laughs from reading lines to my husband, who hates Harry Potter with every fibre of his being.

Still, it's not for everyone. Taking everything into account, including the obscurity of some of the Marvel characters and the intended audience, I'd give it a 3/5.

14. infamousdjb

infamousdjb Squib

Was reading it because of boredom and it was funny before he went to Hogwarts but it just went down hill from there. I couldn't even get past the whole pikachu army thing.

15. cold burn

cold burn Third Year

Well I am clearly in the minority in this case since I enjoyed it quite a bit. But then again I'm an marvel fan and I really needed a laugh when I read this. I'll give a 3.5/5 and round down.

16. knothead

knothead Groundskeeper

I read it, and I like it. A lot.

I got the references, and I consider myself only a casual fan of Marvel comics.

5 stars.

17. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

I suspect I'm catching maybe two reference in three, but I think it's pretty funny. I'd call it a solid 4 if your just reading it for the laughs.

as a side note the first two chapters are rather bland, but it picks up pretty rapidly after that.

18. The Mysterious Nobody

The Mysterious Nobody Auror

It's funny, but too disconnected, disjointed. Also, it lacks detail and elaboration, and relies too much in pop-culture references, abusing of the 4th wall breaking effect.

Being a Marvel fan, I enjoyed it, but it's not good enough of a story overall.

2/5 IMO

19. Jeram

Jeram Elder of Zion ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Silly, not up to snuff. It's not terrible, it just tries too hard. I found it amusing, then tiresome, then boring. Now I don't care about it at all. A shame, it had a bit of promise.

2/5

20. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

Funny, I read this off my own accord recently, and really rather enjoyed it. It isn't a masterpiece, but its funny enough that it had me chuckling quite frequently.

This got the best laugh out of me:

Professor Xavier was looking out the window, enjoying the first long stretch of quiet he’d had since Logan took Harry to the Savage Land. His tea was hot, the sun was out and the grass was green. All in all, it was a pretty good day.

“Professor?”

“Yes, what is it Hank?” Charles Xavier asked as he turned around in his hover chair. The blue furred mutant scientist Hank McCoy held a printout in his hands.

“We have the results of the genetic test,” Beast said, gripping the paper. “Harry is a mutant.”

“Oh, really, then his ability to talk to snakes…?”

“No, that’s not his mutant power,” said a very worried Hank McCoy. “I didn’t want to say anything, considering your…issue.”

“Hank, I have long since come to terms with my inability to walk,” the Professor said, waving the thought away.

“That’s not really what I meant.” Hank hesitantly passed the print out over. “Harry’s mutant power. It’s hair regeneration.”

“What?”

“Harry will never go bald.”

“Are you serious?”

“And his hair will never go gray,” Beast said quickly. The professor gave him a long silent look before just floating back to his office.

And that’s why Professor Charles Xavier became Onslaught.
    4/5