1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

External Hard Drive Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Feoffic, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

My external hard drive isn't connecting to my computer anymore; the light goes on, but nothing shows up. I checked disk management, but it doesn't show up there either, and I had DM do a rescan of my disks and still nothing. I tried restating the computer with it plugged in, plugged in and off, and not plugged in, but still no dice. I'm going to take it to a friend later and try plugging it in on their computer, and I'm also going to reinstall Linux Mint on my laptop and see if that works.

The OS I'm currently using is Windows 7 32-bit, and my external is a Lacie Big Disk; I've had it for about four or five years now, and this is the first problem that I've ever had with the thing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

4-5 years is most likely your problem, but yea some more detail would be nice, such as did you do anything specific recently (Reinstall, etc) or did you just wake up and it just didn't work. If you did do anything try it in Safe Mode and see if that works.

Also quick google:

Try these steps from La Cie's web site:

1. Disconnect all cables connected to the drive.
    2. Connect the power cable to the drive.
    3. Connect the USB-cable. First to the drive. Then to the computer.

If the drive is detected correctly the problem was probably caused by improper shutdown or un-mount (unplugging the cable without dismounting first, etc.). When this has happened, the USB-interface needs to reset itself properly. After this, reconnection should be no problem.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

The only other thing that has happened to my computer recently is that my main monitor died the other day; I doubt that that has anything to do with this though.

I haven't tried safe mode yet, thanks for reminding me.

I did what the Lacie site suggested, and it didn't work.

4. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Did it work on your friend's PC?