1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Need Advice on external Hard Drive brands.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Innomine, Mar 2, 2010.

1. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    So, i'm looking at buying a 1tb external HDD for my laptop, can be USB2.0, Firewire 400/800, don't really care. Just want to know what the best brands are, what I should look for, what I should avoid and so on.

I know jack shit about Hard Drives, so yeah. Keep that in mind.

2. Revenant

Revenant First Year

I've got a 1tb Western Digital for my laptop which works very well and I would recommend that. Other than WD you've got Iomega, HP, Seagate, Toshiba, Hitachi, Lacie, Cavalry, and a bunch more.

Iomega, HP, Lacie, and Cavalry are good, Seagate's not bad and I would keep away from the others.

You should be able to pick up any of the above between 100 and 150 dollars.

3. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Hard drives don't really differ all that much from brand-to-brand - it is 60 year old technology afterall. Any "big" name will do.

4. moogleknight

moogleknight Second Year

I have a WD 2TB MyBook that I've had since October that has worked great, so I can attest that WD atleast is a good buy.

5. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

I use Seagate, but I hear Lacie is supposed to be really good.

WD === Son, I am disappoint. They have failed me so many times, it isn't funny. Same with Hitachi.

6. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Just get a USB HDD caddy and plug regular hard drives in to it.

7. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Eh, I looked into that when I went to buy mine, and found that the price didn't really differ.

I then got myself the Seagate (the small one, 2.5'' -- that's the FreeAgent Go), and I'd do it again. If you want rational reason for that: it wasn't more expensive than the other "big" brands, however, it had 5 years warranty instead of 2, and it looks damn cool.

For 1 TB, it'd be that one. You'll get it cheaper almost anywhere else, though, so I wouldn't buy it from Seagate directly.

Edit: Hm, apparently stuff in New Zealand is more expensive than elsewhere >_> I dunno how much you want to spend, but depending on where you want to use it, you might want to consider the 3.5'' drive then, since you'll get it for half the price, ~175 NZD. The warranty's the same, it's a lot more bulky, though.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2010
  8. Portus

Portus Heir

I've been quite pleased with the 1.5TB Seagate FreeAgent Desk I bought a while back. I got it at a big box store for $139.99+tax, which at the time seemed like a good deal but now seems like just a little high compared to what's available online, etc.

Anyway, the Seagate Manager software was at first a bitch, since what came with the HDD was only for 32-bit operating systems. I downloaded the 64-bit version from Seagate and since then it's been a pleasure to use. I set the software to backup everything on my laptop M-W-F, and there's a Sync function that you can use to keep files and folders up-to-date between several computers, which I don't currently use but seems like a very good idea.

I used to have a portable Western Digital 80GB HDD, and ended up dropping it in a parking lot. The drive fell about a foot and a half and never made a peep again. I was devastated; I had so much personal stuff backed up on that thing, but that's a HDD with moving parts for you. Conversely, I once left a USB thumb drive in a pants pocket and it ended up going through the wash and one cycle in the dryer. I pulled the thing out, it burned my fingers, I popped it into the computer and off I went. That's solid-state electronics for you. I wish it were affordable at this time to have backup drives using solid-state technology, but alas...

Good luck. Check out Amazon and Newegg.com

9. Innomine

High Score:
    Eh, thats just the currency exchange. It works out like that for everything. I'm expecting to spend $200~ or so. Right now i have it narrowed down to these possibilities:

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=368857 - Seems pretty standard.

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=375184 - Seems the best option, price wise.

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=382496 - Has lots of extra stuff I don't need for an extra $18.

http://ascent.co.nz/productspecification.aspx?ItemID=385263 - Costs about $100 more, but has firewire 800, which my Macbook Pro has, so could be a good idea.

Anything in particular that I should avoid in these? Or just pick what I want and get it?

I've heard a lot of stuff about Hard Drives failing and shit ,but I presume thats individual cases as opposed to brands in particular?

I also have absolutely no intention to use anything but a drag and drop interface. Just putting that out there.

10. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Right, and that'd be all 3.5''. Check the dimensions, 175.0 mm x 33.7 mm x 172 mm (W/H/L) for the FreeAgent. The 2.5'' is 80x12x130 mm or 80x20x130 mm. Also, the weight is 1 kg to 0.16/0.29 kg. You have to decide what you need there; as I said, the 2.5'' 1 TB version seems to roughly cost twice as much. If you aren't going to carry it around much anyway, there's no real point in paying that much more to have it smaller, for example.

And the difference between the first and the second one is the warranty. 5 years for any FreeAgent, 2 years for the Expansion. Considering that the price difference in that shop is ~ $10, I'd go for the FreeAgent. Plus, I found it at other shops for even less, but I've no idea whether that are decent stores or not, of course. The FreeAgent apparently comes with a small socket, btw, so you can use it on edge.

And as for the last one, I have no experiences regarding either FireWire or Iomega, but of course 800 Mbit/s > 480 Mbit/s (that's USB 2.0). It could be worth it if you move large files or many files on a regular basis -- shifting 100 GB will take 17 minutes, instead of 29 minutes (that's the theoretical maximum, of course; in practical use you won't reach those transfer rates).

11. Innomine

High Score:
    hmm, You make some interesting points there Sesc.

Thanks for the analysis, size doens't matter to me, this is simply to keep all my large media files and so on on. Maybe backup some music etc.

You make a good case with the warranty, so yeah, I'll probably go for that.

As for transfer speed? yeah, it probably actually doesn't matter that much to me. I won't be transferring that much stuff, so USB2 should do fine.

Cheers for the opinions guys.

12. SushiZ

SushiZ Auror

I myself have purchased 2 Western Digital Externals to date. My first one was a few years back, was not too big something around 360GB. I have had no problems with it and its been at least a few years. I recently purchased a 1TB My Book Edition from WD and its awesome. I can connect through USB, Fiber wire and eSATA as well so its useful on any computer. WD has pretty good warranty, 3 years If I remember correctly and you get good support staff to help you out.

Just my thoughts.

Regards

Edit: Only thing that's slightly annoying is having to convert Hard drives to NTFS because they all come in FAT 32 so you can't move files larger than 4GB.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

This is pro

It's what I plan on doing for my next hard drive cause I just filled the 500g WD I got from my dad for xmas