1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gray Maiden I: Philosopher's Stone by Chris Widger - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Lord Osiris, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

Title: Gray Maiden I: Philosopher's Stone
    Author: Chris Widger
    Rating: T
    Genre: General
    Pairing: Non as of yet
    Summary: Taken from the lifeless arms of his mother on Halloween, 1981, Harry’s life is altered forever. Lily’s best friend has pledged her life to raise and protect Harry. But how will an entirely different upbringing change the Boy-Who-Lived? For whatever Harry has become, it’s much different than what everyone expected.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2866740/1/

My summery: Well you can't really get more general then this fic it's an all right AU he is setting up but incredibly fustrating at points. On the plus side it is Slytherin Harry and he does kinda act it out well.

2. Tobang

Tobang Fourth Year

I just finished reading this story…it was decent. Follows canon a little too closely for my taste…not to mention it seems like the author couldn’t determine if she wanted to make the character in the story more mature or not. Sometimes her Harry acts likes he’s 20 sometimes he acts his age…11.

Something else I noticed especially near the end…this is basically just a (lot) more brutal version of the original story, Harry going threw the stones defenses was really cool, definitely not a story for the kiddies. I would say that this story has a lot of promise to become good in the future, but as it stands its just mediocre.

3. razz

razz Seventh Year

So it's just another recount of Philosopher's Stone??.. PPh. I'm so over all that shite right now.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I enjoyed it, it wasn't just a recount of PS, it used the main plot points but changed everything else. Its writing style was solid and it had good expression

5. Memory King

Memory King Order Member DLP Supporter

Checked the series out a long time ago, didn't care terribly much for this specific story. I skimmed a lot of it, and found it too angsty for my taste. Didn't deviate all that much from canon either, which is definitely a minus in my book. I understood the sequel perfectly for instance, it's pretty easy to read the beginning and end of this one before jumping forward.

Writing quality was pretty good however, and I don't remember anything particularly cringe-worthy, except for vague recollections of overly emotional moments.

3/5

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009