PDA

View Full Version : [Oneshot] Hedwig and the Goblet of Fire by Meteoricshipyards - T

vlad
03-24-2010, 02:34 AM
Title: Hedwig and the Goblet of Fire
Author: Meteoricshipyards
Rating: T
Genre: Humor/Romance
DLP Category: Humor
Pairing: Harry/Parvati - technically
Words: 3,993
Published: February 26, 2010

Link (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5777316/1/Hedwig_and_the_Goblet_of_Fire)

A humorous one-shot. Plot is a bit fast-and-loose and the writing while technically solid isn't spectacular. Still, it's was a humorous read and a fresh take on what would otherwise be GOF!Rehash. A nice little timewaster.

4/5

Checked by Minion, February 9, 2013

silverlasso
03-24-2010, 02:53 AM
Amusing...but owls don't bark. Ugh. Other than that, it was pretty good and I agree that it's a decent time-waster. As a humorous one-shot, 4/5 is definitely reasonable, especially when considering the originality.

vlad: The status should be "Complete".

Edit: Okay, owls do bark. My bad.

scaryisntit
03-24-2010, 05:44 AM
Agreed with everything silverlasso said. Hedwig's "bark"ing was kind of irritating. But the rest of it was a solid, quick, enjoyable read.

4/5

Vir
03-24-2010, 08:15 AM
uh... owls bark. Will edit with more...

Edit: Was kinda funny. Very light hearted

4/5

pdo91
03-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Yeah, owls bark. Not dog bark, but they do a sort of hacking thing as well as their hoots and hums.

I liked it well enough. 4/5 again.

happilyeverafter
03-24-2010, 11:22 AM
I thought this was a good oneshot. Pretty funny. As everyone else has said owls do bark, but they also go "twit-twoo".
4/5

Terrai
03-24-2010, 01:00 PM
Was a pretty lighthearted one-shot, though the owl barking made me facepalm and laugh at same time...

Id give it a 3.5/5

silverlasso
03-24-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, today I learned that owls bark. Shows what I know.

Still, every time I came across "bark", all I could think of was a dog barking. Perhaps I'll go YouTube some barking owls.

SUCCESS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEH6nF0F1Nk) Interesting...

Novera
03-24-2010, 01:30 PM
Voice:The Snowy Owl is virtually silent during nonbreeding seasons. The typical call of the male is a loud, harsh, grating bark, while the female has a similar higher pitched call. During the breeding season males have a loud, booming "hoo, hoo" given as a territorial advertisement or mating call. Females rarely hoot. Its attack call is a guttural "krufff-guh-guh-guk". When excited it may emit a loud "hooo-uh, hooo-uh, hooo-uh, wuh-wuh-wuh". Other sounds are dog-like barks, rattling cackles, shrieks, hissing, and bill-snapping.
Nestlings "cheep" up to 2 weeks of age, then hiss and squeal.

http://www.owlpages.com/owls.php?genus=Bubo&species=scandiacus

So I guess it would be unusual for Hedwig to bark, seeing as she is a female, but not impossible.

EDIT: Beaten to the punch.

Kensington
03-24-2010, 02:06 PM
I liked it. I especially liked how it wasn't only Harry who was circumventing the age restriction line on the Goblet, but that Ron and Draco got in on it as well. The author seemed to hit all the right spots for humor.

4/5.

Darje
03-24-2010, 02:44 PM
Well, today I learned that owls bark. Shows what I know.

Still, every time I came across "bark", all I could think of was a dog barking. Perhaps I'll go YouTube some barking owls.

SUCCESS! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEH6nF0F1Nk) Interesting...

That video is hilarious, even if it is just two owls barking at the night. xD

The story was pretty amusing too, but it didn't ring as well with me as some other stories do.

3/5

Shinysavage
03-24-2010, 02:59 PM
It was...ok. Technically sound, if rushed - although quite how you could extend this to a full length fic, I have no idea. But the humour left me cold. I smiled a couple of times, but nothing more.

2/5

Revenant
03-25-2010, 06:19 PM
Meh, I got a bad feeling about this fic as soon as I saw the title.
Writing was pretty decent, but other than that nothing spectacular. The attempts at humor fell flat. 2.5/5

Dark Minion
03-26-2010, 05:55 PM
It was ok. I agree that the fic is rushed - though not as bad as Rorschach writes. It had quite a few funny moments, for example when Harry explained to Hermione how to cross the age line.

And in my humble opinion it definitely is way better than the psycho!Harry - err - pysics!Harry that's praised so much lately.

4/5

Teresoul
03-29-2010, 12:20 PM
The fic is supposed to be humor, but I was only mildly amused by it. Writing style is good but the Hedwig vs. Dragon thing didn't sit well with me. Still, I managed to read through it, so that has got to count for something.

3/5

Intelligo
03-29-2010, 12:56 PM
Good for what it was.

I couldn't imagine investing any real amount of time in reading, let alone writing, a full length story with Hedwig competing in the tournament.

I had to force myself to accept the "Harry understands Hedwig" cliche though. It was tough.

3.5/5, rounded to 4.

Oneiros
03-29-2010, 09:09 PM
He was amicably talking to the sphinx. There was a gong that signaled the end of the contest, and as it went off right as Harry met the half woman, half lion, all naked creature, he took advantage of the situation. He didn't know any riddles so he was telling her knock-knock jokes.

And now, I have the strange desire to read a Harry/Sphinx story. 4/5 from me.

TheDefiantOne
03-30-2010, 01:06 AM
I thought it was funny, even with the barking. 3.5/5

Phantor Clockpiece
04-09-2010, 01:51 AM
Pretty decent for a crackfic. Good that it avoids redundancy.

Red_Hourglass
04-12-2010, 03:22 PM
http://www.owlpages.com/sounds/Bubo-scandiacus-1.mp3

Mercenary
04-12-2010, 10:04 PM
I liked it. Its funny for a short one shot. :D

4/5

Memory King
04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
This one is a solid 4/5 IMO. Situations pushing believability in some points though, but the fic works because it was never supposed to be serious.

Hugo
04-14-2010, 01:34 PM
TIme waste wise: totally worth it. This fic is only meant to be read when you have nothing to do and are a moron/retard like me who's procrastinating at exam time-5/5.