1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

FUUUUUU-

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Jon, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Jon

Jon The Demon Mayor Admin DLP Supporter

Alright. Computer troubles.

1. The fin of one of the base fans broke off, the only connection it has is to a powersupply cord that is affixed to the motherboard connections. It makes a rattling sound when it's in operation.

2. Every now and then a high pitched whistling down comes from the computer. It's none of the fans. Everytime I've tried to get close and listen it fucking stops. I've narrowed it down to my HDD's. Checked the healthy and they're all fine so WRY.

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Remove the fan and replace it? The rattling is more than likely the fan being off balanced because of the lost blade. >_>

The whistling, on the other hand... Probably running at too high an RPM? Its the click you need to beware of! D:

3. Jon

The fan can't be replaced because the lead that connects it to the computer is part of a set of powercables and other connectors with the case itself.

I unplugged the hdd and the problem went away, huzzah.

4. Jon

..God dammit the sound is back. WRY.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Is it leaning against something? Mine rattles when it gets to close to the wall.

6. Glernaj

Glernaj Stab Executive DLP Supporter

Did you try turning it off, and then back on?

:trollface:

7. Tehan

Tehan Avatar of Khorne DLP Supporter

Is this the same fan you shove things in when you want quiet?

8. Jon

I only did that once last night because I was trying to write. :) I have no idea when it broke.

9. Litany of Hatred

Litany of Hatred Fourth Year

The whistling noise is generally indicative of an HDD spinning up and down. If you wish to eliminate this as a possibility, run a disk defrag. It may be spinning up and down because you have fragmented data, or it is using the HDD as virtual memory. Either way, a defrag is an excellent way to get your HDD spoiled all the way up to its maximum RPM. Also? Bittorrents work in a pinch (if you don't have anything but Windows' horribly slow defragger).

Off-balance fans rattle until replaced. Most computer case fans are 80mm, and replacing it is your best bet. Tigerdirect.com and Newegg.com both carry them. Several companies also have new mag-lev fans which are noiseless and nearly friction free (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199).

EDIT: one more simple/stupid thing to check for the whistle. Optical drives spin faster than anything else in your PC and are EXPOSED to the elements (whereas HDDs are sealed in a vacuum). Make sure you don't have a disk in there.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  10. Vegemeister

Vegemeister Seventh Year

HDDs are not under vacuum. They are hermetically sealed, but air is necessary to maintain the spacing between the platter and head.

11. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

They are essentially hermetically sealed, but not quite. They have a hole with a micron-level filter which prevents any real net air in/out, but when your drive moves from various altitudes or air pressure changes, it has to change with it.