1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Dragon Vs Basilisk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Xanatos, Apr 6, 2006.

?

DRAGON vs BASILISK - who would win?

1. Basilisk

93.9%
  2. Dragon

6.1%
  1. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

Who would win? in my opinion, it probs be the Dragon, burn that over grown serpant to a crisp :twisted:

2. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I would say the basilisk - the basilisk's glare should still work on the dragon as a dragons eyes are vunerable.
    Plus, the wizarding world seems to be far more fearful of basilisks than dragons.

3. Giovanni

Giovanni God of Scotch

I say Fawkes...

Fawkes owns all.

4. Lord Nemesis Black

Lord Nemesis Black Fourth Year

I'd have to say that a dragon would win.. Imean the dam things can fly out of the basilisk's stikeing range. AS far as the basilisk eyes go it would only work if the dragon were to look directly into it's eyes.

5. Necrule Paen

Necrule Paen DLP Elite DLP Supporter

I say that sometimes its the dragon and sometimes its the basilisk with the odds favoring the basilisk.

6. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

If the stare works, basilisk. If memory serves basilisks are considered the second most deadly creatures. But that's deadly to humans.

Rooster vs. Basilisk.

How's that for a seriously weak achilles heel?

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Yeah but how many roosters will cry on command? You've gotta be pretty lucky for the rooster to cry at the right moment.

8. digitalstorm

digitalstorm Seventh Year DLP Supporter

I vote for the basilisk. Death Glare > Fire

9. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I gotta lean towards the dragon now, because Fawkes was clearly unaffected by the glare.

I think to humans a basilisk is still more dangerous than dragon, but the flight and the fire versus just a big arse snake, seems to favor the dragon.

And what would you think a rooster would do seeing a basilisk? Squawk in fright, just as the basilisk turns tail and runs away scared. As they are known to "flee" from roosters. Course that means they stand up proud and tall to the dragons. But with a mortal enemy of spiders, again, comes off a bit wussy.

10. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

It could be argued that, since Phoenixs are essentially invulnerable(spelling), they react different to poisons/harm/mental harm..

If the basilisks glare does someone to the brain, perhaps the phoenix just reacts differently.

I still favor the basilisk on this one.. though I'm inching towards the dragon, your arguements make a lot of sense.

11. Myst

Myst Headmaster

I say Dragon, my guess is the glare only works on weak minded creatures... aka Humans.

/Myst

12. DarthBill

DarthBill The Chosen One

Spiders flee before the basilisk. A rooster's crow is lethal to it. They can live for thousands of years (apparently from just rats). I'd say that the rooster is the only thing the basilisk is afraid of, if only for its cry. Were I a basilisk, I'd just try to squish the rooster before it crows. It is still debatable about whether or not the glare works on dragons, I don't know. If it does, the basilisk would win. Otherwise, the dragon.

13. Dubrichius

Dubrichius Groundskeeper

Well, Dragons are powerfully magical creatures in their own right; and all we know is that the Basilisk's glare works on Humans, and magically week creatures (Mrs Norris is probably part Kneasle). I would have to say that the Dragon would come out on top, because it can attack from a distance, while the Basilisk would need to get right up close to its prey.

14. apocalypsemeow

apocalypsemeow Professor DLP Supporter

I figure the Dragon would win. It has height+fire. It doesn't necessarily need to look at the Basilisk's eyes, and can flame it.

15. Lord Osiris

Lord Osiris Auror

I'll say Basilisk due to the fact that a dragon would have to atleast be within a certain distance to let the flame go, and as the flame would loose heat the farther away it is, who's to say that it will even effect the Basilisk's hide? Take into acount that a snake that size would have an incredible stiking speed not to mention reach, it need only make contact with its venom to render the Dragon usless. What about terrain, room to move, cover, water etc.?

16. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Definetly Dragon. The Death Glare is potent but the dragon is also a magical creature that is resistant to almost all spell. That means it may be resistant to death glares as well (Save vs. Death). The only other weapon a Basilisk has is it's poisionous bite which mean getting close to a dragon after slithering through fire breath. In close range the Dragon has teeth, claws and a sharp, flexible tail.

Dragon when faced with a Basilisk: Can I have fries with this

17. Lord Nemesis Black

Lord Nemesis Black Fourth Year

How about,, would you like that orignal or extra crispy?
    and for the Basilisk lovers (coughGinnyCough) out there: Would you like that with one fang ore two?

18. david9

david9 Banned

Basilisk would win vs a HP Dragon. People saying a dragon would be as resistant to the death glare as Fawkes forget that Fawkes also "survived" the killing curse from one of the most powerful Dark wizards ever, whereas the dragons in GoF were blinded (Krum), put into a trance (Fleur), and outsmarted (Cedric & Harry) by three 17 year olds and a 14 year old.

D&D/LOTR/Other Mythical Dragons would probably be able to beat a basilisk though, since they aren't just stupid animals that can breathe fire like in HP.

19. Duke of Rothwood

Duke of Rothwood Professor

Good point, I agree with the above post

20. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Don't forget that dragons are knocked out by 8 stunners - Basilisks are feared for a reason, not just their death glare. On a side note would Snape's animagus be a basilisk because of his death glare?
    Also there are snakes, and even spiders, that eat birds - and dragons are just a highly evolved bird really. As for the mortal enemy beings spiders - Did you see the size of that thing in CoS? It was bloody well huge! With very potent poison I believe. Spiders are the most common phobia among humans so it being an enemy of a bloody, great snake ain't to far fetched. They are also 3 of the top ten most venomous animals on earth - nothing to laugh at I assure you. (Can you tell I'm an arachnaphobe yet?)
    I vote basilisk, cause it has an enormous striking range, the most lethal poison in the Wizarding Worldand would probably be super fast (like King Cobra fast) to have been feared throughout history. Dragons may be able to fly, but basilisks can kill on sight (just think of the possibilities! :D ) and I doubt dragons would be immune to it - if they can be felled by a few stunners a powerful magical creature with death sight is in a whole different league.

Hope my response isn't as rambling as I think but oh well.
    Aekiel