1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Building A PC

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by AntiChrist, Apr 4, 2010.

1. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Well, I've been inspired by recent posts and a failing laptop to try my hand at building a PC. I've never done anything like this before, so any advice or recommendations for parts would be helpful.

I am working with around 1.5k max, but I want to try and get both parts for the PC and a decent laptop/netbook for mobile purposes. I won't be doing anything extremely intensive; it's mostly going to be for web browsing, media and maybe some light gaming as in LoL or such.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

Where abouts are you? 1.5k is a lot different here in Australia than it is in the US. Well...tbh it's not at the moment but you get my drift.

Frankly, for web browsing, playing videos and light gaming, you only need half of that- if not less. If you set aside 400$ for a netbook, give yourself $100 to go play in a strip club and spend the rest on your PC you'll still get something good.

With an Core i3s or i5s, at least 3gig of DDR3, 1TB Hard Drive, a mid-range nVidia or ATI card (about 200), a motherboard, case and PSU, that's prob. about $800 AUS. Throw in $200 if you want a legitimate OS and get Windows 7 Home Premium and you have your machine.

It really all depends on who you can buy it from. If you're in US, newegg is apparently really good.

3. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Yea, I'm in the US. Thanks for the help. I'll take a look around newegg now.

4. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

On this same note, is it worth buying a prebuilt one and just upgrading from there?

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Prebuilts and upgrading is fine, just depends on the prebuilt.

You can get a prebuilt on a deal, based on the hardware inside it, wheras, you'd be paying a certain price for each piece of hardware you pick up if you built it bit by bit. You face the same problem with prebuilts, just not as much, and I assume it would come up somewhat cheaper.

6. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Yeah I know, I just don't really want to assemble it as I've no experience with it. Easier to swap things out.

7. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Then yes, the prebuilt is worth it. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough in my original post.

8. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

9. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Looks cool the only thing I wouold change is the monitor. Every acer monitor I've had for a desktop sucks better off getting like an HP or a Dell.

10. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

I didn't see a graphics card listed, very important. I know you said you weren't doing heavy gaming, but you might change your mind and you can get a decent one pretty cheaply. For example, you can probably find a geforce GTS 250 for less than $100.

Or you could wait and get one later, I suppose.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  11. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

Well I think the Motherboard has an onboard video chipset: ATI Radeon HD 3300. Would that be good enough or not? Or am I just getting confused and it's something completely different?

12. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Every onboard video chipset is terribad.

Also, I'd be very cautious with that power supply. Rosemill are (I believe) newegg's own line of rebranded OEM hardware, so you really have no idea of the quality of the parts you're getting. It's one thing a lot of people skimp on and then regret.

EDIT: That wireless card is a) Belkin (every Belkin product I've ever used has had terrible software), and b) a notebook wireless card. Look for a PCI wireless adapter.

EDIT 2: I wouldn't get an AMD processor for various reasons. If you decide to go intel instead, you'll have to change the motherboard as well.

EDIT 3: Samsung monitors are pretty nice.

13. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

A comparable Intel Processor is several times more expensive from what I have seen. Is there that much of a difference between Intel and AMD?

I'll go look for a new case and PSU and wire less adapter then and maybe a Samsung. monitor. Thanks.

Edit: Would this work for a PSU? Echo Star 680W
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=ESTAR680XGD&cat=PWR
    Edit2: Is this a good enough case?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119137
    Edit3:powercolor AX5670 Radeon HD 5670
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131334

14. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

KK, thats an okay motherboard with great processor (Made for OC), and an good case with good enough PSU, those total to about 300, now what you need is a great Graphics card, i would really suggest a gtx 260 or above since its only like 150? and it will handle high end games such as Modern Warfare 2 great. You should definitely throw in an extra 50 bux for an 24 inch monitor, huge difference.

15. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

16. Inquisition

Inquisition Canadian Ambassador to Japan DLP Supporter

Looks like a refurb to me.

I wouldn't recommend it, but if you need a cheap laptop that's larger in size, you could find worse. 3 GB of RAM is average, similar to a 250GB HDD. You even have a numpad.

If you want a decent desktop computer for less than $1000, you should probably go for the last-gen Intel stuff: Core 2 products and DDR 2 RAM, unless you can find REALLY good prices on Core iX stuff. Despite that being last-gen, you can find it at better prices because it's still somewhat recent (not to mention in stock).

17. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Any techheads want to do me a solid and suggest a prebuilt?

18. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

Budget Xiph.

19. AntiChrist

AntiChrist Professor

20. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

DDR2 is shit. Get DDR3 memory.