1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Denarian Variation by Shezza88 - M - Dresden Files

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by mike.90, Apr 8, 2010.

1. mike.90

mike.90 First Year

Title: The Denarian Variation
    Author: Shezza88
    Rating: M
    Words: 23,545
    Published: April 8, 2010

Summary: Set after The Denarian Lord: Eight years after Harry killed Voldemort, the last Denarian Lord is surprised to find Amanda Carpenter begging for his help. They had come and taken her daughter away. As Harry fights to get her back, Albus has his own plan...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5879832/1/The_Denarian_Variation

This is a new story by Shezza and follows his other Denarian stories plot line. Yes, it's by Shezza88, thus it's worthy of reading and it is fuckin awesome, so please don't complain in this thread.

The ending of the story was pretty awkward and kinda felt like it was forced and it seriously didn't seem to go with the flow, I had problems with it. I will continue to have problems with it unless there is another story that explores the mysterious character. The cliff hanger was a bitch but I gotta hand it to Shezza, that guy has style.

For some reason I seem to be liking stories written by Australian people o_O Shezza, joe_6991....

All Books of the Series:

The Denarian Renegade
    By the age of seven, Harry Potter hated his home, his relatives and his life. However, an ancient demonic artefact has granted him the powers of a Fallen and now he will let nothing stop him in his quest for power. AU: Slight Xover with Dresden Files
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3473224/1/The-Denarian-Renegade
    Link: http://patronuscharm.net/s/20/1/
    DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=5482

The Denarian Knight
    Sequel to The Denarian Renegade: Harry, the new and reluctant Knight of the Cross, finds himself fighting against new enemies as he is dragged into conflict. He will have to use all of his power to overcome new obstacles, some more surprising than others.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3856581/1/The-Denarian-Knight
    Link: http://patronuscharm.net/s/54/1/
    DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=8904

The Denarian Lord
    Lord Voldemort readies for war while Albus Dumbledore seeks peace- through any means necessary. At the same time, Harry Potter moves to eradicate the Order of Blackened Denarius. In the middle of this is the Winter Lady, whose motives remain unknown...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4359957/1/The-Denarian-Lord
    Link: http://patronuscharm.net/s/209/1/
    DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=10038

The Denarian Variation
    Set after The Denarian Lord: Eight years after Harry killed Voldemort, the last Denarian Lord is surprised to find Amanda Carpenter begging for his help. They had come and taken her daughter away. As Harry fights to get her back, Albus has his own plan...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5879832/1/The-Denarian-Variation
    DLP-Thread: https://forums.darklordpotter.net/showthread.php?t=15825

The Denarian Apocalpyse
    Fourth Book in the Denarian Series: Harry Potter. Albus Dumbledore. Lord Voldemort. The machinations and plots of these three wizards have had unseen consequences that are, now, only just beginning to catch up to the Wizarding World. They are coming...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7184989/1/The-Denarian-Apocalpyse

The Denarian Omakes
    A collection of omakes written by various authors. Credits go to Surarrin, Nuhuh and Taure. I hope you enjoy.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4355372/1/The-Denarian-Omakes

Checked by Minion, January 5, 2013
    Added links to the entire series

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2013
  2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

3/5.

It is written well and whatnot, but it is boring.

It is boring in the same type of way Wastelands of Time is boring. It is written with awesome and whatnot, but it never ends. The series goes on and on and on and you stop caring. The ending of The Denarian Lord was good enough that nothing more needs to be written, but it still continues.

3. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I would agree with SmileOfTheKill that the series ended perfectly where it did. Thus, how I see the story depends on it's status (which hasn't been clarified, but...)

If it is a proper canon continuation, then, yes, I think that this just feels odd after such an obvious ending, filler and nothing more. If anything were to follow the Denarian Series (and we were led to believe that it was ended) then I would expect something a little more... substantial. I would give it a 3.5/5 because individually it is excellent, but it does not match the pace of the previous stories, and so feels a bit off.

It felt like... well, imagine (if we all liked all the canon books as much as the Shezzaverse) if 'Quidditch Through The Ages' was released as a sequel to HBP. The change of pace and length would be rather jarring, and it is so here.

If, however, this is simply a sort of omake, as suggested by the title ('Variation', a 'what if'), written in response to the new book to see how things would play out in this universe, and not a true 'continuation' of the Shezzaverse, then, treating it as an omake, I would give it a straight 5/5 for awesome implementation.

It did leave an interesting cliffhanger, but again, the resolution of that would depend on what this story is. It could be a series of omakes unrelated to the actual universe, or it could (preferably not) be canon.

4. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I still say that this is arguably the best series in fanfiction, and to see a well written and interesting continuation, well, that's just fine with me. The only thing that bothers me is that it seems a one shot, but left a huge cliffhanger, which is just such a tease. But still, 5/5 from me.

5. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Pretty sure that this should be in the "Other Fandom For Review". Thats where all the other Denarian fics are.

As for this? 5/5. I'm kinda happy with it as a short story tbh. But if there is more writing, can't really complain now.

6. ab546122

ab546122 Backtraced

Shezza needs to sign up for Fanfictionholics Anonymous.

Oh the cliffhanger.... That unknown guy at the end - I know who he is...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  7. Illution

Illution Seventh Year

Y'all crazy for dissuading Shezza from continuing the epic verse. Yes, some fics were great but got ruined because they were drawn out but this is obviously different not just because it's shezza. You don't stop reading Dresden files just because it has 12 books already and say it could have ended nicely on book so and so. If he decides to continue the Shezzaverse we can be pretty sure it'll be another epic based onthe previous three. I read this in the work by author section and it holds up the standards expected. 5/5

8. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Found it boring.
    Its kind of a rehash of cannon, with chars replaced. That rarely makes up for a good story. Even though, there were some changes, it just felt like I was reading something, that I have already read.
    2/5. The 2 is solely for the writing. 3 points lost because fic didnt grab my attention at all.

9. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

Personally I liked it a lot. Yes some elements were rehashed from Changes, but the execution is different and unique enough to make it a worthwhile piece. I definitely wouldn't mind reading more based on the Denarian Trilogy series.

But I suppose Shezza's writing is somewhat like Joe's, in that some people just can't get into it.

5/5

10. Stormey

Stormey Groundskeeper

Oh, I like it all right.
    I loved the Denarian series.
    But when the rehashing occurs, thats when it becomes boring for me.

11. The Greek

The Greek Second Year

Guys, this feels a lot like bitchin'. Are you seriousle DISpleased with the omake? Even if it is an omake, even if it is a continuation and we'll see more...
    Well, it is awesome. It's at least 5/5 so where is the problem?

All right maybe the cliffie is a bit evil. Just a tiny bit... A bit evil like a Denarian. So Shezza, here comes the obligatory MOAR!

12. El Scorcho

El Scorcho First Year

I've got mixed feelings about this one... The thing I liked the most about the Denarian Series was Shezza's ability to create an original storyline within the confines of both the Potter and Dresden universes.

imo, Variation is a straight up adaptation, with little surprises in store for the people who have already read Changes. At the end of the day, this fic kinda detracts from the ending that we were already given.

That said, the writing is, as always, brilliant. I really hope Shezza decides to continue this series, and give it a proper conclusion.

4/5

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  13. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

You mean like its some kind of variation of what happened in Changes canon!?

I really enjoyed it, its a nice bit of writing, that while reasonably brief (if you can call 24k words brief) gives a very nice look into what happened in Shezza's Denarianverse since the end of Denarian Lord.

We get this pretty cool scene when Harry goes to meet Amaris, we learn about her and how things are going down in the Winter Court, Shezza slips in a shoutout to Jon's Voices, and we get some fun interaction between Harry and Amaris including the four things as part of their deal.

We know Harry has been traipsing around doing what Harry does best: Dropping mountains on people. Then we have a sweet look at BlackOpsMaster!Dumbledore who is exactly like we've come to expect from Shezza in regards to Dumbledore; completely badass.

Throw in some sweet action from both Harry & DD, a reasonable ending and you have something that is a 5/5.

14. El Scorcho

El Scorcho First Year

...I can't believe I missed that :eek:

I guess it makes more sense now.

15. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Every one of you saying that The Denarian series ending was a ggod thing, stfu and stop discouraging Shezza from writing.

16. Moridin

Moridin Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

I would be one of the last to discourage Shezza from writing more omakes. Like I said, by itself, this story is amazing. All I am saying is that this story shouldn't be considered a continuation of the Denarian series, but just an omake in it's own right.

The whole point of 'Variations' is to see what would happen if the events of 'Changes' happened in the Shezzaverse. That's probably why there isn't an original storyline.

17. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I couldn't agree more!

That said, this was... average. Below average even, compared to Shezza's other stories.

The writing was, as usual, pleasant to read and characters mostly stayed in character too, but the lack of plot, bar forced and rushed applying of Changes's plotline into Denarianverse killed it for me.

Besides, I had hard time believing that Harry would want to see Amaris ever again. Or that he'd have an occasion and a reason to fight Amanda (have we ever seen him hurting innocents? - words don't count).

Ah, and I fucking hate the cliffhanger.

Overall, taking into account that it was supposed to be an omake: 4/5.

Write the 4th book!

18. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

If they feel the series ended best where it did, then it's a valid opinion. Shezza has classified this as more of an omake rather than a real sequel, so I don't think he's writing it with the intention of matching his writing in the series.

19. Gafgarion

Gafgarion Second Year

It was more like a thought: "What would happen if Denarian Harry's child was kipnapped, instead of Dresden's?"

I liked the "What If" of this story, and the Dumbledore action scenes (Shezza should write something about the Headmaster, maybe his meeting with Fawkes).

5/5

20. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think y'all are taking this a bit too seriously. This was just a random idea of what Denarian Harry would of done in Dresden's situation. It's not meant to include a compelling well thought out original plot that instantly captures that readers minds and makes sure that they cannot put it down until its finished.

It's mean to be a fun little thing to read.

The end on the other hand, now THAT could lead into what I described above

Edit: Sincos has the right idea as well, this isn't a sequel, its a omake/short story.