1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned New California Dreaming by Hotpoint - T - Fallout

Discussion in 'Games' started by Othalan, May 6, 2010.

1. Othalan

Othalan Headmaster DLP Supporter

Title: New California Dreaming
    Author: Hotpoint
    Rating: T
    Genre: Sci-fi/Adventure
    DLP Category: Other Fandoms
    Pairing: None as of yet
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 123,296
    Updated: July 4, 2012
    Published: May 20, 2009

Summary: Yes I'm from the New California Republic but no I'm not a damn tourist. DC sucks, lousy Brotherhood. You know I'd be safe and warm if I was in LA... well safe-ish anyway...
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5074902/1/New_California_Dreaming

One of the first really good Fallout fics I've seen. It's mainly OC-centric, though there are several nods to the Fallout games, especially Fallout 3, as well as a few cameos from game characters. It's as well written as anything Hotpoint does, so there shouldn't be much for anyone to complain about on that score.

The only issue I take with it is the update rate. Hotpoint has a history of being infuriatingly slow for such a good author. The NCD has ten chapters, with 46,261 words total. It took him nine months to write that much, and it's been more than two months since he's updated it.

That said, I still think it's worth a read, so go ahead and give it a shot.

Checked by Minion, Feb. 11, 2017
    Someone message me, if it could be counted as complete.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2017
  2. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

This is pretty damn good. Almost certainly the best Fallout fic I've read so far. It does a good job of incorporating the history from Van Buren as well as developing the ideas of how life in the Wasteland must be like for people travelling and living in cities.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend it, the OC's are well written and the story's moving in an interesting direction. Easy 5/5 for me.

3. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

This is actually pretty epic. Granted I'm only at chapter 3 right now, but the main character is likable and the writing is superb. At this point, an easy 5/5.

Edit: The story continues to get better and better. I highly recommend this to any fan of Fallout 3.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  4. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

As everyone has already mentioned, this fic is a must for any Fallout fan. Very enjoyable story and OC's as well as a suprisingly good integration of some of Fallout 2's aspects with Fallout 3.

The only problem is, is that it doesn't seem as though his Fallout fic is his main story anymore. Instead it's some Buffy fic his been writing since the start of the year,

Still 5/5 for the 10 chapters he has out.

5. Carmine

Carmine Unspeakable

Really enjoyed this so far. The integration of the different games works really well, particularly the aspects of New Vegas.

Easy 5/5. Also, he updated a couple of days ago.

6. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

It's the only Fallout fic I've ever read, and it's good. Sort of. It's biggest weakness are that its central characters are never really put to the test. They've got training wheels on. The we're-more-civilised-in-the-west gunslinger, the hero worshipping ingenue, and the penitent raider have a lot more potential for character depth than the rather flat implementations that have been realised in this fic.

It's interesting enough that I've been following it, but I think that Hotpoint could do better.

7. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I love this fic. Fallout is exactly the type of universe where you come up with your own interesting characters and fling them in there. 5/5.