1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Via Osmosis by Uncle Stojil - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Alindrome, May 24, 2010.

1. Alindrome

Alindrome A bigger, darker mark DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Title: Via Osmosis
    Author: Uncle Stojil
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: Naruto
    Pairing: None
    Summary: The night he was sealed inside the human child, the Kyuubi conceived a plan meant to give him freedom. Twelve years later, that plan is finally set in motion. And the brat is going to cooperate, that he knows it or not. AU and slight FFVII crossover.

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5668998/1/Via_Osmosis

To be honest, I'm a sucker for Stojil's stories. This story has a good deal of humour to go with the pretty decent characterisation. Any required canon retelling is made interesting by Stojil's unique and humorous writing, and the slight crossover elements are done surprisingly well.

You might be weary of the (so far) helpful Kyuubi, but the characterisation is solid and, if you're willing to suspend your disbelief of that, makes an interesting character which avoids the obvious trappings of being super-powerful, while still adding well to Naruto's development.

Personally I'm a little weary of the 'Materia' in terms of overpowering Naruto. It's unlikely that they'll ever be a dire issue with the story, though. I guess we'll see where he's going with it.

Oh, and a warning: Stojil tends to update slowly, from what I've seen.

I give it a 5/5: four points for the overall story quality and the extra point for Stojil always being able to make me amused, as well as an excellent portrayal of events so far.

2. azrael

azrael Professor

I don't know, I started reading this story earlier and I couldn't get into it. It turned me off pretty early on, and it didn't help that it seems to have much smaller chapters than Stojil's other works. I'd much rather he worked on "Stubbornness of a Demon" than on this.

3. Hw597

Hw597 Seventh Year

Yeah I'm having problems even getting through the first chapter. I have a major issue with how the Kyuubi is presented.

Far, far too human. All these little quips and human motivations is a mistake as far as I am concerned. When writing script for Demons or Spirits of any kind I feel an author should make an effort to highlight how different from us they are meant to be. His portrayal might as well be a slightly nutty bloke sitting behind Naruto's navel.

To be honest I think the majority of Naruto stories actively involving the kyuubi make this mistake. Just because the kyuubi has said a few lines in canon, I don't think it means that it is essentially a human. "Dancing with Demons" is a good example of how I think an intelligent demon would interact. Not a just slathering monster but just utterly different (certainly no human quirks like sarcasm, annoyance and eye-rolling).

4. syed

syed Supermod

I am sorry for necroing, but i want to get others opinion on the story. I like how the materia is being integrated into the story, it is actual possible for it to be even canon compliant. I am just wondering if over the years has most demons accidently created pieces of material, but i guess could be explain it is usually reabsorbed. The only thing that is a mystery is how summons could be integrated. MY thinking is the summons would be that they would take familiar form, so they would all be fox shaped but with different affinities. They could keep the game names, like Shiva, but give it to a fox with power over snow and ice. So to gether they could form a whole new summoning clan.