1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Robert Harris, anyone?

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by DarkRaven, May 31, 2010.

1. DarkRaven

DarkRaven Squib

I had to read Rober Harris' ''Pompeii'' as part of my English course for school. Unlike most books I read as part of my English course in school, this one I enjoyed reading so much that I read ahead and finished the book before the we got to the end in class.

Pompeii, as most of you probably know, is a Roman town that was completely covered in Ash during a volcanic eruption in 79 AD. The novel describes what too place during the days immediately prior to the eruption.

I must say that Harris wrote a page turner. He also really managed to pull off the Roman culture really well. My only real beef with this book is the ending. I personally think he created far too much build up, and the ending was far too sudden, but it is a small complaint in an otherwise amazing book.

I've also just finished reading Imperium by the same author. This novel, while still being historical fiction, is of a totally different style - political thriller. It follows the story of Cicero on his route to becoming the Consul of Rome. I really recommend you pick it up if you like Roman History or even politics.

These will certainly not be the last books of his I'll read. Have any of you read any others?

I'm going out tomorrow to buy Lustrum (set after Imperium)!

2. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

I have not read these but I have heard good things about them from other people.

What is the writing style like? I know you say it's a page turner but that's something people said about the da Vinci Code and I thought it was quite boring to read.

Is it character driven or more driven by the culture and history?

3. Sesc

Sesc Slytherin at Heart Moderator

Harris does some great history stuff, in my opinion, but that isn't to say it's purely that, he always wraps it in a gripping story.

I've read Enigma and Vaterland, both WWII settings -- the former about England's decryption and intelligence station at Bletchley Park, tasked with deciphering the German radio messages from the submarines, and the latter I like even more -- it's a what-if-Germany had won WWII-contemplation. The research is very well done, and the Europe he describes is frighteningly plausible. If you're at all interested in the topic, I'd recommend either without hesitation.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010