1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Black Lagoon OVA: Roberta's Blood Trail

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Jul 3, 2010.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Apparently a copy was leaked two weeks early and fansubbers got hold of it. It's the first episode of a five episode OVA.

The story: During an US operation in Venezuela the head of the Lovelace family was killed. Roberta now goes on a killing spree to avenge her master - to the dismay of her charge Garcia, now the new head of the family.

Apparently all relevant characters assemble in Roanapur, where a war is about to begin...​

The first episode "Collateral Massacre" prepares the stage and introduces the relevant characters. A new maid appears with similar skills as Roberta. While I didn't like her action sequence that much, she had an awesome moment with a knife :awesome

Comments anyone?

2. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Never watched the anime, mostly because it didn't portray the same level of humor to me as the manga.

But in the Roberta arc, Fabiola earned major degrees of awesomeness for that freaking rocket launcher that she pulled out of her ass. Revy's and Rock's reaction to it only made it all that more hilarious.

3. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

dling it right now.

4. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Just finished, and it is good.

5. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Thanks for the notice. ;)

6. Redeye

Redeye Penultimate Lurker DLP Supporter

Just finished, and it definitely left me wanting moar, as only Black Lagoon could do

7. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Just watched it. Was sufficiently awesome, but DAMN, was the knife really necessary?

8. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Okay, didn't want to make an extra thread for this, so, hope it is alright to use this one:

Apparently, Black Lagoon, the manga, is going to continue starting January 19th.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-12-17/black-lagoon-manga-return-slated-for-january-19

Awesome news, if true. Liked the anime more than the manga but I am almost certain that if the manga advances sufficiently, they will adapt that to anime again too, seeing that the anime is only five chapters behind the manga, as of now.

Really hope this happens, love this anime/manga.

Revy :3

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  9. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

Awesome!

I really enjoyed the anime and absolutely loved the OVA. There's a lot of potential for future arcs, particularly as the OVA showed major developments to Rock's character.

10. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Okay I can NOT be the only one who has watched this! I demand that attention be brought to the fact that Roberta's Blood Trail is out, and nobody has talked about it!

11. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I was not really an active member when it came out, otherwise I'd have talked about it a lot more. Loved it. It took everything that made Black Lagoon a fun concept and made it better. Especially by making Rock, and everyone in every single involved faction, epic.

Though I dunno how much discussion you'll get on it 2 years later...

12. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Meh. It's essentially a panel for panel adaptation of the manga. The only reason to watch it is to see all the action scenes in motion.

13. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

Which can be admittedly a lot of fun if you have foggy memories of the manga.

Or if you watch it before reading things. Whatever.

14. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

The main problem I had with this arc in the manga is that Roberta goes from a very badass killer to an unstoppable demon, with a great mind for modern strategy. And then, she can go from a killing frenzy to seductive mode in seconds. And a supposedly non retarded soldier falls for that, after he sees what she is capable of.

15. Nemrut

High Score:
    Only watched the subbed version a year or so ago and would check out the dub since I prefer the dub of this anime.

But yeah, what everyone said. Loved it. Great action, good dialogue, great evolution of Rock's character and the balance of the relationships and alliances and yeah, very awesome.

Agree on the seduction scene though, seemed a bit weird that a soldier who had worked with her before would fall for that. But that was really the only thing.

16. Jarik

Jarik Chief Warlock

I guess he probably fell prey to his own ego. From his point of view he had her at gunpoint, and had all avenues of escape or attack covered . Sure, he knows her reputation, but for that same reason the prospect of having her at his mercy and submitting to him must've been too much of a temptation to ignore. He'd have had all the street cred for doing that to Roberta.

I also really liked the interaction between the US soldiers and Balalaika's crew.

I have actually heard unanimously good things about the dubbed version of the anime, but haven't been able to bring myself to give it a go just yet. I guess it makes sense cause they're all meant to be speaking English anyway...

17. Invictus

Invictus Master of Death

I never liked the american dubbs, most of the times I just think that the voices don't go well, but in anime I just can't see the dubbs. Or there is a sub version or I can't watch it. And I love the brazilian dubbs, with very few exceptions like Bleach and Gravity Falls, they are excellent. The only problem is that they clean everything, even in live action movies.

About the guy. I know it was setup to be that way, but c'mon, we men use our 2nd head a lot, but that's just stupid, like playing russian roulette with an automatic weapon.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  18. Cruentus

Cruentus Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Then again how often do you expect someone to be carrying around a belt buckle gun of all things?

19. Idiot Rocker

Idiot Rocker Auror

If you've ever seen Dusk Before Dawn, well, that should answer your question.

20. Nemrut

High Score:
    Expecting the Belt Buckle Gun or not, allowing the person who just single handedly tore through your small army and did such a thing regularly back when you worked together and expect that to work out just screams stupid. Makes me wonder how he survived until then.