1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Firefox crashing frequently.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Eidolonic, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

I'm getting a 'plugin container' error message, and crash frequently. Generally seems to happen when I'm viewing video of some kind, and has occurred from several different sources: Youtube, random sports stream, random video clip linked from another forum.

Any idea what might be causing this? I don't exactly do much with my firefox in terms of plug-ins, mods, or whatnot. I run it pretty barebones. It's just incredibly annoying when I have to open up task manager to cancel firefox every time it happens and locks up the computer.

2. carl

carl Seventh Year

Which version of firefox, which version of flash are you using and what addons/plugins exactly?

3. Eidolonic

Eidolonic Supreme Mugwump

Uh...

Let's see if I can figure it out. I honestly don't touch my browser too often. My lifelines for work/school/etc are within my bookmarks folder, and while I do back that up somewhat frequently, I'm still a paranoid fuck.

Firefox version 3.6.4? I think.

I honestly have no clue about the Flash.

I see a Shockwave flash 10.0.32.18?

This problem was quite recent, within last day or two.

4. Archangel

Archangel First Year

One of the recent versions of Firefox (might have been 3.6.4 in fact, I forget) added this new feature where they run plugins like Flash in another process - which is supposed to stop them from locking up the browser like that.

I haven't had any trouble with it personally, but have heard of a couple of issues. Probably the easiest thing to try is to check if there's a newer version of Firefox out and give that a go if so.

5. carl

carl Seventh Year

6. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

Drop Firefox like a bad habit and use Google Chrome.

In case you can't/won't/don't want to, you can also try uninstalling flash and reinstalling it. That might fix the problem, or it could do nothing at all. Another idea is to uninstall your plugins/extensions one at a time until it stops, then reinstall all but the one that causes the problem.

Also:
    I personally never straight download an EXE from someone's link. Instead of linking to the EXE you should link to the page about the software. In this case, http://www.filehippo.com/updatechecker/

Note: I use FileHippo's update checker thingy too, and it works pretty good.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010