1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Manga sites getting shut down for Square Enix

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Wingthesword, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Wingthesword

Wingthesword Squib

I'm pretty sure everybody knows by now that One Manga is shutting down tonight at 9. And Square Enix just announced their new online manga site. Anybody else here of the opinion that they should be bombarded by derogatory comments?

Do I have a 'Here here'?

2. Moloch

Moloch Groundskeeper

... So by abiding the wishes of the people who made the manga they should be abused by everybody who used their website?

Fuck off scrub.

3. Feoffic

Feoffic Alchemist DLP Supporter

Glad to see this shiesty site finally closing down, hopefully they'll use it as an opportunity to go legitimate like Crunchyroll.

4. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Sucks, but I usually use Mangastream anyway. Faster on getting stuff out. I'll care when THAT closes down.

5. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

I'm pissed because they are going down and that I can't be upset because they are respecting the creators' wishes.

I want my manga but I don't want to be a douche about it.

So conflicted.

6. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

At any rate, I guess Square Enix does need to find something new to do. Recent history has damn well proven that they can no longer make a decent game to save their lives.

I won't be using whatever shitty paysite they come out with btw. There will always be free manga sources out there (same as with video game ROM sites after all these years of attempted crackdown), so this initiative will never see complete success. It is fairly irritating regardless, of course.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This for the most part. Unfortunately some of the smaller series' like Bakuman or Psyren get skipped some weeks.

8. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

...You know you're gonna ask me to find this shit for you, bitch... You always do. :<

Yeah. Just means faggots will have to learn how to IRC or torrent. >_>

Huh. Makes me wonder how the IRC scene is going. Should drop back into some of the old haunts...

Fuck yo couch. I got no beef with going legit if you find you have a market for it. But considering a huuuuuuuuuuuuge margin of the audience got into a lot of these series because of niggers like Snoopycool and Omanga and One Manga making shit available where the creators refused to market, fuck yo couch.

This is a dick move from a dick company that has finally realized thier "Ignore the Internet Market" market strategy has failed spectacularly and are now attempting to force out competition with strong arm tactics. Very much the same way WotC did to Magic Workstation and Apprentice after they had been giving glowing praises of them, when they put out MtgOnline...

And I hope yo couch fucks you. DLP is not your personal army for whenever you get cheesed off some site chooses to do something you dislike. If you had a legit reason, like they were raping babies and killing all the hot milfy bitches that had them, maybe. But since they're just shutting down...

Don't be a lazy faggot. IRC is still around, torrents are still around... You just have to work to get your shit now.

9. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

It's not even that, Vash. There will be regular sites that will still post up free scanlations whether the producers like it or not. Like I said with the ROM's, game companies have been trying to get rid of them for years now and I know of several major ROM sites that are still in operation. Just have to have the server(s) in a place that doesn't give a fuck what some Japanese corporation wants to demand.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Oh, I'm aware of that. Its just IRC is so much more convenient than having to wait when servers go down to have to move. :/

11. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Eh - I usually read them offline anyway. And I feel like Nuhuh - I'd like to get it fast and easy, but I can't blame the publishers for closing other sites.

EDIT: And btw: For those worried about their guilty pleasures, have a look at this:

DomDomSoft-Manga-Downloader

The already awesome basic version is freeware.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  12. Feoffic

I can understand scanlators and the people who consume scans to a certain extent, but One Manga and its ilk are the worst kind of site when it comes to this material. Why? Because the owners are making a profit off of it. That's why they are being shut down, and why I say good riddance to them in general.

The only thing that is changing with the loss of One Manga is convenience, that's it. The scans still exist, and the scan groups are still going to do what they do best. The lesser known titles and the unmarketed ones? Yeah, they'll still be found and scanned at the same rate as before, all that is different now is that people will actually have to exert some effort in finding them. You actually said it best,

13. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

At least FMA ended before this happened. That was a great ending.

14. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And AnimeA, AnimeVibe, Ourmanga, Citymanga, Sunmanga, ...

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  15. Chengar Qordath

Chengar Qordath The Final Pony ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    I'm reasonably sure that any good internet search engine will turn up plenty of results for "*Name of Series* Read Online" unless the series in question is ridiculously obscure. It doesn't hurt that a few publishers actually like online fan-translations since there animes/mangas never would have been exported if not for the fact that large fan-translation communities convinced the publisher that there was a viable overseas market.

16. Chime

Chime Dark Lord

Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari

edit: oh lawd, lol wrong thread! zzz might as well say something since I bumped this

IRC will exist forever. You'll always be able to get whatever you want with that, so it's completely futile to try and stop scanlation. However, Enix knows that many younger/inexperienced people will be unaware of the scanlation scene if they shut down sites like OM, which will be a slight boon to them, however, I suspect it will do either more harm, or change nothing, as sites like OM introduce people to the products they want to sell.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  17. Feoffic

How many times do I have to say this...

Square-Enix had nothing to do with the closing of One Manga.

What did cause it to close down was a harsher line taken by both Japanese and American comic/manga publishers, such as Shueisha, Dark Horse, and DC, when it comes to sites like it, and instead of having to deal with any legal issues from either end the owners of OM decided to close shop instead.

Square just happened to launch its new online viewer on the same day.

It wasn't a conspiracy, it was coincidence.