1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

High School of the Dead

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Phantom of the Library, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Genre:
    Action, Ecchi, Horror.

Summary:
    Link.

Thought I'd share a new anime I started watching recently. High School of the Dead is an apocalyptic zombie thriller, and generally follows the usual formula of watching a small group of people try to survive as the world falls apart around them.

It has it's good and bad parts. For one, there's no kiddie crap like anime-tears or overly embarrassing moments for no reason, the animation is pretty damn good, though I am by no means an expert, and the characters, while somewhat stereotypical, are all fairly interesting.

There are a few things I consider annoying, though others may not, depending on their opinion.

There is a lot of pointless panty shots.

Girl getting eaten alive? Make sure she's upside down so her skirt falls above her waist. Running for your life? You bet your ass every girl runs in the perfect way to send her skirt flying and her chest bouncing.

Thankfully, they don't make a big deal out of it. It's just there. I for one actually found it kind of refreshing. In real life, if a girl does a back flip with her legs split, you're gonna get a show. Same thing applies here. Skirts shouldn't defy gravity.

Unfortunately, there is the fan-service character. The Nurse is the typical stupid blond with a massive rack, who runs around with her skirt ripped.

I hope she dies.

Anyway, give it a try. It might not be for everyone, but I imagine it'll hook a few of you.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  2. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

The creator has gone on record for being a bloody idiot with his statement to the extent, EVERY SHOT MUST HAVE PANSUUUUUU AND HOT LADIES.

I would expect the entire thing to be pure fan-service, and what I have seen has no shown me no reason to want to watch it. What are the good reasons to watch it then?

3. ChaosGuy

ChaosGuy Unspeakable

Well, this isn't exactly news and if I remember right it's only suppose to be 12 or so episodes. Which makes sense because the source material (the manga) isn't that far ahead and if was to long we'll get a case like Black Lagoon which takes a long break in between seasons.

EDIT: By creator, do you mean the manga writer, who is known for doing hentai doujins previous to this, or the Anime Director?

EDIT2: Reasons? It's basically an action manga/anime drawn by a guy who did hentai. So there will be fan-service in between the fight scenes. So... basically watch for the mindless action.

4. Phantom of the Library

Wasn't aware the creator was that stupid, but oh well. lol

Anyway, I guess I find it tolerable because the it's never really total fan-service. Yes, the females flash their undergarments a lot, but the scene is never about the that. It's kind of just tacked on.

Because of this, I didn't find it too jarring.

But, as for why you should watch it, I just find the characters interesting. They're all fairly stereotypical in nature, but there's already signs of character development. Especially the main character.

Other than that, you basically have to like zombie media to like this. Not because it's so bad that you can only like it if you love all things zombies, but because it's story telling and appeal is focused around that type of setting. Survival of the fittest, society falling apart, moral dilemmas, etc.

edit:

There's actually not a ridiculous amount of action. Sure, you're running from zombies, you're gonna have to smash a few heads, but there are other aspects.

Still not trying to say it's everyone's taste, though.

5. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

Seeing as I've only been watching Shiki and The Legend of the Legendary Heroes this spring season and I have nothing else better to watch atm, I guess I can try this out. Though, too much fanservice irks me so I might drop this quickly.

6. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

I don't mind fan-service. As long as it's entertaining when it comes to Anime, I'll least give it a whirl. The fact this includes Zombies will definitely make me want to least give it one watch.

7. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    What's Legend of the Legendary Heroes like?

8. Phantom of the Library

That is quite possibly the worst title I've ever heard.

Ever.

Gonna check it out anyway.

edit:

Just watched the trailer. Outlook not so good, but I'll watch the first few episodes and decide then.

9. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

My love for zombie flicks trumps my hate for anime. So far, I've been lulzing at how some of the students die.

10. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I like the manga better than the anime. It's just way better.

11. Fimbulvintr

Fimbulvintr Seventh Year

I've never seen the anime before today, but I have been keeping up with the manga, and going by that standard I think it'll turn out okay. There is character development, and I think it's well done (considering it's manga). I especially like how the characters reflect on the things they, and others, have to do to survive and how it changes them. The fan-service is there, but it doesn't distract from the story itself (much), and is sometimes a crucial part of the comic relief.

EDIT: Oh, and I love Busujima-sempai :awesome

12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Does it still have that infuriatingly fail political moment when the author developed rabies and started ranting about the U.S. out of nowhere?

Fuck this shit. Give me Elementary School of the Dead, or Special Ed. School of the Dead, let's see some ground being broken.

The art has the annoying every-face-is-the-same syndrome, with a few variables like hair.

13. Havoc

Havoc Seventh Year

That's anime for you, Andro. The fact that anime characters are dying appeal to me. That's how much I hate anime. Don't forget my love of bouncing boobs, and panty shots.

14. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

I for one refuse to watch the anime of HSOD since I'm far too much a fan of the manga of it. I picked it up from chapter 1 when a scanslation group was advertising it and I've been reading ever since. For an apocalyptic zombie setting, the characters have depth and are actually interesting, and the plot - while not overly original - keeps the story feeling realistic.

Regarding the art style: To me, the fact that the character design and artwork comes from an infamous/famous hentai doujin artist takes a back seat to the plot/story and characters themselves. After a while, you start to ignore the fan service and actually enjoy what's being presented.

Besides, you think this is bad? Try reading Triage X.

15. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Apart from the blonde nurse there had been a few irritating shots and bouncing boobs.

Apparently it's censored. Some scenes are said to contain more gore and violence and are cut - most likely to boost (uncensored) DVD/BlueRay sales later.

It is ok. It's one of three I probably continue this season: This, Shiki, Occult Academy.

16. Dilla

Dilla Seventh Year

Average. Episode three kept me interested, but so far there has been nothing to distinguish it from any other fantasy series.

Shiki has been the stand out for the spring anime season for me so far (bishi overload character designs aside).

It really is.

17. Demons In The Night

Demons In The Night Chief Warlock

Best part/death: two random girls are running away from zombies in the school:

Girl 1: "We're bff's lol!"

*Girl 2 gets caught by zombies and latches onto Girl 1's leg*

Girl 1: "Let go of me bitch!", *punts Girl 2 into group of zombies*.

also, this is highly entertaining simply due to the gore/action factor. I don't give a shit about the fanservice either way, but it is getting more interesting what with the character conflicts and the fact that they
    split into 2 groups, with the douchebag teacher taking control of one, while the main character and his bitch wander off by themselves

18. Cyclops

Cyclops Unspeakable

I never heard of this until today when I read the news about it being dubbed to English. Apparently the dub will premiere in March. I haven't read the manga, but I have seen the first 10 episodes of the anime.

I think what keeps me interested in this show, besides zombie mayhem, are the characters of Takashi and Saeko. I really like those two. I don't get why everyone but Takashi treats Saeko like dirt though.

The other girls are pretty annoying. Rei is boring as fuck, Takagi is pretty insufferable, and Big-Titted Nurse is so dumb it isn't even funny.

The little gun fanatic is alright, though. And I do like the little girl, Alice, so far as well.

The fanservice is a big distraction. It feels so out of place and tacked on. Especially since they can show a whole lot of tits and ass but they cut away before lips connect every time someone goes to kiss. This show just needs to decide if it wants to be a hentai or not.

Anyone know if they will make a second season of this?

19. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There are one or two OVAs - this month one was apparently sold with the Manga (though I didn't find it yet), and another will be released in April.

The manga contains enough stuff for several seasons. I assume it will depend on the DVD/BlueRay sales of this season.

20. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read the manga up until the end of the mall arc. Haven't seen the anime yet.