1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Other Side of the Coin by Zennith - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Zennith, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: The Other Side of the Coin
    Author: Zennith
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: None at the moment
    Chapters: 24
    Words: 92,276
    Updated: October 1, 2010
    Published: March 25, 2010

Summary: Harry Potter, Boy Who Lived and defeater of Grindelwald, has come to Hogwarts. Raised by Sirius Black and sorted in to Slytherin, Harry finds his way under the guidance and watchful gaze of his mentor and Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, one Tom Marvolo Riddle.
    Link: The Other Side of the Coin

Yeah, I'm submitting my own story. Ah well. So, I decided to post this in the For Review section, as I'm currently finishing up Harry's second year and after about 80,000 words I figured I might as well give it a shot. The story is being updated in the WBA and on ff.net, and will continue to be updated at a decent pace. The story mostly focuses on the developing relationship between Harry and Tom Riddle along with a political wizarding world that's hitting a bit of turmoil that Harry can't help but find himself involved in.

That's about it. Have a look, see what you think. Enjoy!

Sequel

Something Lost, Something Found
    Chapters: 2
    Words: 9,440
    Updated: February 21, 2011
    Published: October 23, 2010
    Sequel to tOSotC. Harry and Dumbledore have been crossing the continent in pursuit of Harry's education. But something dark and sinister, something from the past has been following closely in their wake, threatening all they've fought and worked for.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6421914/1/Something-Lost-Something-Found

Checked by Minion, January 8, 2013
    Added the sequel.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2013
  2. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I think the comments in WBA speak for themselves.
    5/5

3. Anme

Anme Professor

No question at all. 5/5.

4. Averis

Averis Don of Delivery ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Library worthy at worst. One of my favorite stories out.

5. Captain Trips

Captain Trips High Inquisitor

Ah, one of my current favorites.
    5/5 from me

6. ashura

ashura Third Year DLP Supporter

What a breath of fresh air! Three-dimensional and competent characters, original AU plot, shades of grey, and a Harry characterization that just completely and utterly works, I could go on and on and on. Your take on Riddle is one of the most fascinating I've ever read and I can't wait to see just where he'll go. This is one of those fics where I have no idea what the fuck I'm gonna read next but I don't feel lost either and it's such an awesome feeling! I do wish the plot progressed just a little bit faster and that Harry spent more time with the minor characters but even with those small nitpicks, this is definitely a 5/5 fic for me.

7. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Despite the story being good, your typing skills need some work. Have you tried using the bloody enter key? Please use some common courtesy and type out your sentences better.

5/5 for the story. Good job.

8. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A solid 4/5 from me. Can't in good conscience give it a five, but it definitely belongs in the library.

9. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I tried reading this a while back, but i really couldn't get into it. I remember getting bored around chapter 8. While the characters may play their roles well, I just didn't enjoy the plot, or find any of the characters really that likable. 3/5 from me.

10. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

Pretty much what Ellisnade said. I tried reading it but it bored me. I didn't find the story engrossing and it felt a bit of a drag to me. I won't rate the story just yet. I might give it another try later on and see if I like it any better then.

11. Kratos

Kratos Squib

I said I was a fan in my intro thread, I'm a big fan. Just some points that I enjoy about this story:

Harry's growth is done well, too often Harry just starts reading books and practicing on his own, and then BAM, suddenly he's god. I was worried when Riddle started mentoring him that this would happen, and so far so good. The scene with Ron worried me a bit, with the super-magic, so well see.

The politics and especially the OC auror are fantastic elements.

Lastly the entire AU universe is very well developed, I love being suprised when the next canon character is introduced in some slightly altered form, loved pettigrew.

Awaiting the update with bated breath.

12. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

I've highly enjoyed this story so far. I can see how some people can say there are pacing issues, but around chapter 18 it really picks up! Like Kratos said, the AU aspects are delightful! All of the characters are well introduced and have a sufficient, if not amazing, backstory!

My favorite character has got to be Tom Riddle. He's got a lot of the original character traits from the canon, tempered with some humility and acceptance of his past and mixed with the insanity that is Voldemort. It would be nice to see more Tom/Voldemort interaction.

My only gripe right now is this: How did Peter get into Hogwarts? That whole scene kinda seemed contrived just to kill Pettigrew off just because.

EDIT: My question hath been answered. That's what I get for marathoning, details often get missed. A thousand thanks. :cheers:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  13. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

Wasn't there a scene where Peter came out from under the willow?

I agree with a few of the posts here about it being boring, but I just couldn't keep away in the end. I feel it's down to how the story is told, not giving us all the information at once. It kept me curious anyways. And now that I've read it all so far, the plot is keeping me interested, and of course Riddle is aswell.

14. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

^

The twists on canon are great; it seems like Zennith has carefully considered every character's place in this AU world. Tom Riddle is my favorite character, but I'm also intrigued by Dumbledore and what he's up to currently.

Definitely worth a read. 5/5

15. Zennith

Zennith Pebble Wrestler ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    And I've finally gotten this next update out. Check it out either in the WBA or on FF.net.

16. Nemrut

Nemrut The Black Mage ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    When I started to read this story, I told myself that if this is another "Ron is a jealous, close-minded Slytherin hating snob" type story where he does nothing right and is hated by almost everyone, than I am out of here.

I was really pleasantly surprised that this was not the case and that I really loved where you went with the Ron story line, really realistic and believably written.

Loved the story, the characters were awesome and the last chapter ended on a mean cliffhanger.

4/5 for now with a tendency of being 5/5 if the story ends well, which I think will take some time.

Great job.

17. JenosIdanian

JenosIdanian Professor DLP Supporter

Evil cliffhanger, Zennith! Gotta say, the new chapter was really good. I thoroughly enjoy your characterization of Tom Riddle. I can truly say it's one of the best, if not best, that I've ever read. His internal struggle with the aborted legacy of Voldemort gives him such depth of character.

There are still some minor polishing issues, such as:
    EDIT: I'm not sure what you meant here, or maybe I'm just missing something. I don't know, either way, awesome chapter all around. A solid 4/5.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2010
  18. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Ok, excellent story is excellent so far. I love the complete au, and having Tom Riddle being kind of redeemed is a great character. Overall there's nothing I don't like, though I think the story could get kind of slow if you don't keep updating it quickly. I can't wait for the next chapter.

4.5/5

19. EthyleneGlycol

EthyleneGlycol Second Year

You've created a brilliant story with a refreshingly original plot, set of characters, and a universe I have not yet seen in the fandom. Your characters are fully fleshed out and each chapter is as engrossing as the next. The only problem I've seen so far is that there are still many chapters that seem like they could have used another read through to clean up some of the typos and awkward sentences; not a dealbreaker for me, as they aren't all that plentiful.

As deserving of a 5/5 as anything I've read.

20. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

I read this sometime ago and although at first I was skeptical, this turned out to be a very good read.

5/5 material.

Like some others, Tom Riddle is my favorite character here. You paint him with a very three dimensional personality; a "good" guy who is on the precipice of becoming full out evil. The scene where he succumbs to his urge to release dark magic goes a long way to express this. I even find myself hoping that Riddle will give in to his adolescent urges and become a full out dark lord who isn't just canon Voldemort with a brain but something else with different ideals.