1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP If I Ruled the World by EarnestScribbler - FR15 - DW/B:tVS

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Anya, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Anya

Anya Harley Quinn DLP Supporter

Title: If I Ruled the World
    Author: EarnestScribbler
    Rating: PG15+, FR15, T
    DLP Category: Misc
    Pairing: Canon couples from the end of season five.
    Summary: Buffy doesn't die at the end of "The Gift." You'd think that would be a GOOD thing, wouldn't you? AU after "The Gift." Obviously.
    Link: If I Ruled the World

Best Doctor Who/B:tVS crossover ever.

2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Not much to go on. A little more summary maybe before I devote time to it. Most crossings with Buffy tend to leave a sour taste in my mouth.

3. Anya

I would put a little more in my description, but that would spoil it!

Sigh. But if you really want to spoil yourself this is the challenge that it grew from.

4. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

I have a question, but to be insulting, but, why did you rec something with only 7500 words, that hasn't been updated since February?

Also to offset the potential insult in this, I have to say that I love your avatar and sig. Where did you find the pic for your avatar?

5. Anya

Because it's a good story and I think it deserves to be in the library. I'm allowed to do this.

deviantart
    and
    waitforit

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  6. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

I realize this, so long as you realize that generally the length for library fics is above 10 thousand words. Its kinda what makes them worth reading. Telling where something is going from several five paragraph chapters is allot harder than if you have 10k or 20k words to go off of.

I'm reading it now while playing minecraft. Will give a review in about 20 mins.

7. Anya

I want to shoot you.

8. Calz

Calz Oh, I Got the Mic Now!

Shut up.

There are things that have been put up for review with vastly less words available to judge it on, and there are things in the library that never make 10k words period, nevermind when they get submitted.

If someone wants to submit something, they can, last I fucking heard. Go troll the people tossing in bullshit stream-of-consciousness run on sentences as stories.

9. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

You tell her broham. She needs to learn the mawfucking rules up in this bitch. Clearly she's not been here long enough to understand that DLP is about lengthy qualitative fanfiction. Not short oneshots or fanfics that are under 10K.

Geez Anya go back to the kitchen and make yourself useful or something, instead of posting trash like this. :p

But seriously Anya. Decent rec. Thanks.

10. Anya

I have learned the error of my ways. Do you want mayo in your sammich?

11. White Rabbit

White Rabbit Hippity Hoppity DLP Supporter

Nay. Dijon mustard, if accessible, please.

12. Anya

Of course it is accessible! It is my duty as a woman to be prepared for anything a man might need.

13. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Ok, so, basic plot is
    MASTER!BUFFY in both universe's sense of the word.
    Author seemed to get The Master's character mostly correct. Can't say about the other characters, we haven't seen much of them at all. From what I could tell the grammar was mostly correct, but the nitpickers will probably correct me on that. Really I would have combined the first six chapters into a prologue, then wrote a similar length second chapter, possibly ending that chapter with an offhand meeting with one of the doctors companions. The length itself is the only real major problem, though the author had plenty of ways to potentially screw it up had they continued it.

Overall there's really not much length to judge it, but going to go with my gut and say 2.5. If the author updates with a decent length chapter I'll consider it library worthy and up my ranking to 4. The two main points that give it that low of a ranking are the fact that it seems to be abandoned, and having a very short length. Otherwise it's quite good.

Yes but the VAST majority of those below 10k words are ONESHOTS and are taken to conclusion in that sense. This is a chaptered fic. An incomplete chapter fic from someone who has only 1 fic above 15k.

Also I'm not protesting to her putting something up on the library she can put up anything she wants. I'm protesting to the fact that short, seemingly abandoned, incomplete, chaptered fics aren't really library worthy. If it was a complete fic, I wouldn't be protesting at all, nay I'd be complementing the fic for it's quality. But as it is I don't know whether it's a wild giraffe or a Porsche.

To judge an in-progress fic with only 7k words is like trying to judge a dancer from a single movement. You can't really tell WHERE it's going, and it might just trip over as soon as it starts to move.

From visiting this forum for awhile I know that for things in the WbA people tend to wait for around 15k words, at the least, before they rec their fic for the library. And things like Rise of the Hose of Rockwood, have been sitting in the for review quite a long time for exactly these reasons.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2010
  14. Anya

Spoiler tags or I will have to keeeeeeeeeeel you!

15. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

Fixed. Really you find out pretty much in chapter one, but if you insist.

16. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

Earnest Scribbler is a really good author who I wish would update more, though if I had to choose I'd rather he update the sequel to this.

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    THis made me lol.

Length has jack shit to do with quality. Rather read an enjoyable abandoned fic, than read nothing of it at all. Those types of crossovers are rare enough as it is, if there's something worth reading out there, i'd rather read it than not.

18. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year

But often in the course of lengthening a fic the author will COMPLETELY screw something up.

Case in point, A Second Chance at Life, started out decent, became good, completely screwed itself up in more recent chapters.

A 10 to 15 thousand word barrier provides you with some solace that the author isn't going to irrevocably screw something up immediately. And actually gives you knowledge in what is going to go on in the plot.

I can tell you 5 ways the author could completely screw this up off the top of my head.

1. Abandoning it completely, rather than the seeming abandonment it's got right now.
    2. Screw up the characters, this isn't something major for me, but for others here it might be.
    3. Keeping the chapter length the same. I despise short chapters. It leaves you wanting more, and with a fic like this, where you've got a 6 months lag between chapters, it becomes really annoying.
    4. Messing up the plot, it's completely possible that this thing could become a spike/master slash/not-slash fic.
    5. Screw up the crossover, alternate universes and timelines are something of a Dr.Who staple, but even within that it's possible to stink up the works.

As to my newness, how many of you remember Yarrgh! getting kicked out? I started lurking here on and off around then. I just hadn't joined because I really didn't read fanfiction all that heavily until now. And what fanfiction I did read back then was slash or shit.

19. Anya

I still want to shoot you.

20. Cappadocian

Cappadocian Fifth Year