1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gantz Manga Thread

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Potterondrugs, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Potterondrugs

Potterondrugs Seventh Year

To those of you familiar with Gantz you now it is dubbed as Japans most graphic and violent manga ever, which may be partially true but it also has a very rich storline with an abundance great characters. The progression of the main protagonist throughout the story is one of my favorite character developments ever and I am actually a little shocked no one has mentioned it ont his forum before.

Description/summary
    - http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=3641

Where you can read it- http://somemanga.com/manga/Gantz/

So to those who are reading it what do you make of the Invasion of the big aliens and the Kurono and Kei situation?

2. Solomon

Solomon Heir

GantZ is graphic and violent, but the most graphic and violent? That seems a bit much.

3. Potterondrugs

Well thats what it's promoted as and I wholeheartedly disagree but If thas what your looking for it does provide that as well

4. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Oh, I read it. I know what GantZ is like. I just refuse to underestimate Japan.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

Gantz is full of crack. An autistic fat girl while dreaming gave the instructions to construct Gantz, the ball, which is mass-produced by the Germans. They have billions of dollars' worth of hyper-advanced tech several times more superior than the equipment of any military power of the world, yet whoever administrates Gantz intentionally refuses to distribute them when the planet is being invaded by aliens.

It's pretty stupid. The thing about Gantz is that any speculation about the plot is destined to go nowhere because the author is so aggressively vague about everything.

I liked the hunter who cleared the game seven times, but he died pretty fast. :/

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  6. Solomon

Solomon Heir

Yeeeaah, I don't really think too much about GantZ's overarching plot. As far as I see it, it's basically just there to present shitty situations for the characters, being a very character driven story and all.

7. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    If an autistic fat girl whispered designs for technology centuries beyond our time I'd be impressed. If she said 'Alien Invasion. We're fucked.' I'd believe her too.

8. Potterondrugs

When was a manga ever supposed to make sense? somehow in Naruto Ninja have modern technology(like bluetooth headsets) but haven'tbeen able to get heir hands on an m-16?

9. Solomon

Solomon Heir

That's nonsense. Why would they even want an m-16? Their armies can pull dragons made of fire out of thin air.

I get where you're trying to go with that, but it's retarded, and hell, the fat girl was basically a red herring anyways.

10. Potterondrugs

I never came into Gantz with the expectation that everything should be presented to me with an explanation like Star Trek or something. I kind of enjoy how everything is basically utter choas and weird beyond beleif. However I see why some people don't like that and to each their own. Besides I get the feeling the manga is heading in the direction of explanation what the hell has been going on both in terms of Gantz itself and the alien invasion.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  11. Solomon

Solomon Heir

I'm not even necessarily disagreeing with you, though I think explanation is a good thing so long as it's handled properly. I just think your arguments are retarded.