1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Gundam Wing Fics

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by Sin Saiori, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Since some of the other fandoms I frequent seem to be stagnating somewhat I decided to venture out into others. Namely Gundam Wing, arguably the best Gundam universe ever.

I'm looking through FFN right now for good stories. I'm not looking for a particular one, but does anyone have any stellar recommendations?

Preferably over 10k words, any genre, romance or not.

Bonus points to anyone who can list a good Wing/Seed crossover where the Wing pilots show up and stomp the living shit out of the whining, angst-driven Seed pilots.

Thanks in advance.

2. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

Yardwork is pretty much the only decent Gundam Wing 'fic I've encountered so far. It's set some years after the series and features the adventures of Heero in suburbia.

Highlights include: Heero's Gundanium riding lawnmower, the first boyfriend of his daughter's that he wasn't able to scare off ("Is that a real gun? ...cool!"), and a genetically-engineered rabbit created by OZ.

You might have guessed it's pretty much total crack, but it's also hilarious. You're gonna be wading through a lot of slash to find anything better.

EDIT: Also, point of order. Athrun and Kira were emo, sure, but Dearka and Yzak were made of concentrated awesome ("STRIIIIIKE!").

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  3. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Mmm, I already noticed the point about the slash. And yeah, I could use a good laugh about now, so I'll read that one after I finish the one I found. Thanks.

4. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Yardwork is the best Gundam fanfic ever.

Incidentally, it is also the only Gundam fanfic I've ever read - since I was discouraged by the prevalence of yaoi in the fandom. But well, I liked DB Summers from his Ranma and Azumanga Daioh fanfiction, so I gave this a try. It's pretty damn awesome.

5. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder First Year

F all of you. Universal Century is the Gundam Universe. Followed by G Gundam, then Turn A, then I don't give a fuck about the rest.

Depending on what you're looking for in a gundam fic, the best damn one I read was set I think in ZZ era on outskirts of mining colonies and was absolute badassery. Its name excapes me at the moment, meh.

while Wing had the convenience of playing on many cool ideas and designs, it was mangled by sunrise quickly into the realm of implausibility (not that 50m tall robots are plausible...) the whole thing screamed of poor execution and characterization (Wu Fei I'm looking at you).

6. ZeroTheDestroyer

ZeroTheDestroyer Auror

Practically all G wing fics are Yaoi. You'll have to ignore those themes if you want to read a good G wing fic. Incidentally Yardwork is one of the gundam fics I've never read. I regret taking this long to do so.

7. Luda

Luda Seventh Year

I don't know if I agree with you, I'd probably be more inclined to say 00 was the best, followed by Wing, then everything else. Seed and Seed Destiny have the dubious distinction of being the shittiest Gundam series in history and that's in terms of anyone's objective opinion. I've watched a bit of UC and I respect it, but certainly not my favourite.

In terms of Gundam Wing Fanfiction, yeah it is pretty hard to wade through all the slash to try and find something readable, and Heero/Relena is generally like the Harry/Ginny of the Gundam Wing World (i.e. cliche and painfully fluffy/angsty to read)

8. Sin Saiori

Sin Saiori Death Eater

Being a huge fan of all things Gundam, I've watched every iteration of it except for SD for obvious reasons. Tried and true, Wing is my favorite followed close second by 00 and G.

Jeez, I know I wanted to branch out into different fandoms, but the sheer amount of yaoi in all the Gundam series is mindblowing. I'm having a really hard time finding anything else worth reading.

9. Nemo

Nemo Second Year

There's also this lady who does some fairly decent UC 'fics, I'll have to scrounge up her profile.

She did a long-ish AU where Char ends up hooking up with Kycilia Zabi (whose horse-faced-ness was explained as her not eating because of stress), but it quickly wasted a promising start by spending a lot of time and effort on making sure every main character got paired up with someone. Oh, and Anavel Gato ends up killing Amuro. Gato? Fucking Gato?! Seriously?

Most of her shorter fanfics were a lot better, though. There was one where Char decided not to backstab Garma (at least so far), so Garma ended up becoming the ruler of Zeon after his father died unexpectedly. The 'fic was about how his brothers (and sister) reacted to that news. As you might expect, Space-Hitler didn't take it so well.

EDIT: Well, that was fast. Here's her author page on FFNet. Reconciliation is the first 'fic I mentioned, the second is Reading The Will.

EDIT 2 SON OF EDIT: Reading it over again, I highly recommend Reading the Will if you're a fan of UC Gundam. It's a nice character study with a subtle touch, and also has quite a few humorous bits sprinkled throughout (Gihren immediately assumes that when Garma wants to marry a blonde, he's talking about Char), even if Garma is a gigantic pussy. Then again, that's canon, so.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  10. Cannonfodder

Cannonfodder First Year

Believe me, Gato becomes at least 10x badass after watching Stardust Memory. Crashes a space colony into Earth and goes kamikaze in a giant mobile armor and doesn't afraid of anything.

Amuro's death is a lot more pathetic in the novelization of 0079 anyway, He gets killed by stray fire in the middle of A Baoa Qu and becomes some sort of Newtype Force Ghost.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  11. Thorn

Thorn Professor

Not a fic rec, but a bit more to the conversation. Give a check to Gundam Unicorn. From what I can tell, it's the newest in the series. Only 1 episode out, next in October. It sounds gay, but it's pretty epic. Episodes are about 50 minutes long. From what I can tell, it takes place maybe 100 years after the original, but I don't know enough about it to confirm.