1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Help

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Mage, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Mage

Mage Chief Warlock DLP Supporter

Hey, so I need some advice on my laptop. It's an Acer Aspire 5670 that is 5 years old I think. It's had a good amount of minor things replaced such as charger, hard drive, audio jack, etc. This is background just to indicate it could be a hardware failure. Two days ago I received a new battery that I put in, worked fine. Yesterday I decided to reinstall Win7, when I was trying to get to BIOS to boot from a cd I couldn't get to BIOS because where the screen to click the f keys usually is there was just a black screen, then it went to the Windows sign in. So I installed it just off the cd, everything worked fine.

Last night I tried to go to display to project the screen onto another monitor but it wouldn't detect it for some reason despite it being plugged in. I restarted the computer, but it never got past a black screen. In the beginning, about when the normal boot screen would come up, it flickers grey then back to black. I can sign into Windows (I know because I can hear the successful sign in sound), but I have been unable to get the monitor to show. I'm hoping I just hit something that turns it off, but I really have no idea. Help please

2. ForsakenOne

ForsakenOne Groundskeeper

Most laptops have a FN + CRT/LED monitor icon that when pressed, toggles display outputs. For example pressing it once may turn off your laptop display (Black screen) and output to external, pressing it again may bring the screen back. Try that just in case, the keys are different in most laptops.

If that doesn't immediately fix it then try plugging the external display in again to see if it will display, once again try the FN+ Monitor button.

Lastly, try to boot into VGA mode or safe mode by pressing F8 during bootup and blindly navigating.

3. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

Check under your FN Keys. Namely, FN + F5 on my laptop switches between a projector and my monitor, etc.