1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a Roman Legion style book

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by zUzaque, Aug 26, 2010.

1. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I'm looking for an interesting book set in the ROman Legions, or some such setting.

I loved how Codex Alera wasn't stuck in the Medieval time period, but I don't want all the magic hooplah. Battle scenes are key, and a look at the common soldier would be nice, but i'd like it from an officers perspective as well.

Thanks a bunch!

2. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Old as, but still awesomely epic, Glen Cook's The Black Company is one of the best you'll find. The White Rose (Book 3) is the best in the series.

3. NoxedSalvation

NoxedSalvation Temporarily Banhammered

Try the Videssos cycle by Turtledove, it's fantasy, but the magic is pretty low key. First book is this one:

The misplaced Legion

Another good read with a timetravel/scifi element thrown into the mix is this:

Belisarius series- Book 1

It`s the early times of the byzantine empire, around 530 AD, with a twist. Follow general Belisarius on this way to become the most revered military leader of all times.

4. CosmosGravitation

CosmosGravitation Professor

Sounds like Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle series is what you're looking for. No magic, purely historical fiction. Link to wikipedia.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  5. Koalas

Koalas First Year ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This series is beyond great. If you're looking for Legion reading material you can't skip this.

6. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

I'm currently reading Latro in the Mist by Gene Wolfe. It's about a Roman mercenary who fought for Xerxes and has some mythological elements. The book contains the first two stories in the series, but another sequel was released fairly recently.
    [​IMG]

7. IdSayWhyNot

IdSayWhyNot Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Yo guise, I need a good, reliable webpage from which I can buy e-books. Amazon and iTune store have been fucking around recently when it comes to books (apparently it's a problem in my country) so I need another option.

Any recs?

I've been trying to get these books y'all mention and have gotten nowhere. -.-'

8. zUzaque

zUzaque Seventh Year

I started reading Simon Scarrow's Under the Eagle series, and it's EXACTLY what I was looking for. Fun read, some politics, epic battles, characters that you can relate to. Thanks so much, I'll try the others after I'm done with this series.