1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pokemon fan-games and Rom Hacks

Discussion in 'Pokémon' started by Hashasheen, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

Question to fellow pokemon players:

Are there any fan-made games/hacks focused on playing a member of Team Rocket, the Orange Island anime season or a re-done version of the original 3?

2. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Yeah to the first two, but it's likely they're not completely finished. I'll go hunting.

Also, the last one? Yeah, Gamefreak themselves went out and remade the first games this one time - FireRed and LeafGreen for GBA.

3. Hashasheen

I'll be grateful for whatever you look up. :D

Doh!

4. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

There is a fangame called ToxicPurple, not anywhere near finished, and I don't think it ever will be, looked set to be a supurb game. The game starts off with you being inducted into Team Rocket and you get a ratatta as a starter (I think). Then your first mission is to steal a pokemon. Download the demo if you want to pass an hour or so. I don't have the link offhand but it's over in the pokecommunity forums.

5. Red

Red High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

There is a Pokemon Orange(or Naranja) version where you can play as either Ash or Misty and go through the Orange Islands in much the same manner as the anime. You know, with surfing Lapras and all. I played part of it, but gave up out of lack of interest. The only drawback of the game is that it was originally in spanish so the translated version is lacking in some areas, but it's still playable.

6. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Naranja is also glitchy as fuck, or at least it was when I played it. But still somewhat enjoyable. ToxicPurple was my other recommendation - great potential but unlikely to be picked up again and finished.

Seriously, the hacking world is like Harry Potter fanfiction. There are shitloads of them, most of them lacking in anything resembling good spelling/grammar, most of them abiding to similar templates (Most popular Pokemon hacks are either Gold/Silver remakes, Yellow remakes, play as the bad guy games or try to create original regions and fail miserably), and weeding out the good ones requires its own forum, which doesn't exist at the moment... and even the good ones aren't even finished most of the time, and never will be.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2010
  7. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

I tried to start a hack, got the first town done graphics wise, but the scripting is really difficult and timeconsuming for someone who isn't a programmer.

8. Hashasheen

Goddamnit, I can't find any place to download it right.

9. Tomatta

Tomatta Seventh Year

Are you a member on the forums? Might be worth asking someone to upload it for you.

10. Hashasheen

Yeah I am, but the one on the forums is just the alpha version (or at least the one on the first page is and slogging through 75 pages for it isn't appealing at 3:16 in the morning...)

11. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

My question is how do updates work? Do you have to start over from scratch with each update, so is it better to wait for the hack to be finished first?

12. MattSilver

MattSilver The Traveller

Generally, I think people just start all over again. I know I did, but I think it's possible to not have to. You just gotta save in a spot that won't get changed in the next update (Like in the Pokemon Center top floor, though some hackers create a specific room or something for you to save in that you can just exit in the new update), and rewrite the new patch over the ROM when it comes out. I'll go test out a few I have on hand and report back in this post.

EDIT: Yeah, I tried it with two different hacks - Shiny Gold and Rijon Adventures. I took two versions of each and played through the earlier versions for a bit, before saving in a safe spot. I rewrote the ROMs with the new patches, and I immediately noticed that Shiny Gold had had it's tile upgrade only seen in the more recent version, and Rijon's menu interface had changed to it's newer one. So, yeah, it's possible. Just don't change the name of the ROMs or the save states, hope like hell that nothing has changed between versions in such a way that'd cause things to crash, and everything should be just peachy.

So now, I'll skip this stupidity and just answer your question: In general, people do play as they go, either starting all over again each beta or rewriting their games if they can. Some wait for the finished product, and they probably won't get it.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2010