1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

USB 3.0 vs eSATA

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Rahkesh Asmodaeus, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

So I'm running out of space on my laptop, and looking at getting an external HDD. And since my laptop has both of these ports, I have no idea which is better/faster. Any opinions?

2. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Whichever is cheaper (I guess eSATA). There's no way you can reach eSATA's limit of 300MB/s and if USB 2.0 is any indication, you won't be getting more than 50% of supposed speed from USB 3.0 (which is beyond reach of most hdds too).

You should also be aware that eSATA takes less processor time.

3. Archangel

Archangel First Year

My preference would be for eSATA. This isn't based on a great deal of knowledge about either, but I would expect eSATA to be more mature (USB 3 is what, a few months old?). Also, while USB 3 has some huge theoretical throughput, in practice USB 2 never came close to its maximum; I imagine it's fundamentally pretty similar so would also not expect it to reach anywhere near the published numbers. Should still be enough to max out a hard drive, admittedly.

4. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

eSATA. By a long shot.

The only benefit USB3 has over it in your circumstance is that it will provide power so you could buy a bus powered USB3 external hard drive. If you want speed, an eSATA external hard drive or HDD enclosure will provide speeds as if it were a normal HDD plugged in like normal to the SATA port. Thats all eSATA is, a sata port with a different connector. Meaning with a externally powered external HDD that has eSATA it will be very fast.

5. coleam

coleam Death Eater

If you're planning on only connecting it to your laptop, I would probably pick eSATA. However, if you want it to be more portable and usable on other computers, go with the USB 3.0 (it's backwards compatible with USB 2.0).

It also depends on what size you get. The WD MyBook (USB 3.0) has similar throughput speeds to an eSATA device, but is pretty large. Smaller USB 3.0 devices tend to be slower (some not much faster than USB 2.0). Currently, the biggest problem with USB 3.0 is that it's spotty. Some devices are excellent, and others are complete crap. eSATA is a pretty maure technology now, so the differences between devices are going to be less extreme.

Prices aren't too much different ($120 for a WD 1TB eSATA, $140 for the USB 3.0 version on Newegg), so it really comes down to a matter of personal preference.

*Edit* You can also read this article.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  6. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

This. I believe I mentioned quite a long time ago that I setup an eSata based harddrive array. Essentially I have a 10 TB HDD array setup in a raid 1 format, that ultimately connects to a dual core desktop setup on my network as a media server. The array acts just as an internal HDD would. It's been there for about a year now, constantly connected with no issues. Truth be told, You'll never really reach even close to the maximum transfer rate with conventional HDDs, and probably not with SSD's either (though they're so expensive I can't imagine using SSD's for media storage).

7. Murton

Murton DJ OEM DLP Supporter

They have already maxed out SATA II's capabilities with SSD. SSD's are insanely fast compared to normal HDD's. They have yet to defeat the next SATA standard, SATA III, as far as I know.

For speed, SSD's are king, use them for OS drives and for applications requiring fast hard drive access and write speeds. Use normal HDD's for storage.