1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Pettigrew a weakling?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ixazncha0six, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ixazncha0six

ixazncha0six Raptured to Hell

Do you think Pettigrew is a total punk like what Canon says? I would imagine he was very shrewd to be able to trick the whole Ministry and blame it on one person. I think he might have been powerful since, he killed a lot of people with one curse. I believe that he was a skilled, I we heard that he was weak from teachers. What if he was just hiding his abilites from people? He would have to be competent to bring Voldemort back to his old self. I believe he is a coward but I think he was a shrewd person midly strong wizard.

2. Master Slytherin

Master Slytherin Headmaster

:looks at title: Yes, yes he is.

He's an unregistered animagus. They can't have known he was a rat who went down the sewers.

Since he was in first year? Unbelievable.

He literally followed instructions word for word and still got some wrong.

3. Evil Shnitzel

Evil Shnitzel High Inquisitor

Hmmm while I'm think Pettigrew is not powerful or knowledgebale wizard he still hides some of his abilities. We are assuming that Cannon Dumbledore didn't know who was the spy. Then how Peter hid it from Albus about a year?

4. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think that fanon exagerates Peter's lack of magical ability. In canon, we're told that he's a bad wizard, compared to Sirius, James and Remus, who are some of "the finest students Hogwarts has ever seen".

So even if he's a bad wizard compared to them, he may still be resonably skilled - he did, after all, become an animagus.

5. ixazncha0six

I agree with you on most of those things, but how did he woul,d have to be mildly competent in order to find Voldemort and escape from Dumbledore who had sources looking for him.

I don't think he was hiding it since 1st year since I believe that when he first became a Death eater maybe he became more powerful than what he was in school.

6. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

I don't think you need some great power to become Animagus - only patience and power of will. And Peter seems to have both of these in spades (waiting 10 years as a rat, cutting his own finger and hand off). After all, Skeeter became Animagus and she doesn't seem too powerful, right?

7. ixazncha0six

Yeah I know, but you have to have some power in order to blow up the whole street and then turn into a rat. Also the prophecy in PoA Pettigrew was the only person who found Voldemort when Dumbledore was still looking for him.

8. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

That's very vaguely explained. What are the chances of 13 surrounding muggles dying and Sirius (who was the closest) surviving? To me, it seems that these muggles were all grouped together and away from both of them, instead of all over the street (in which case he would have killed Sirius too). So no, I don't think he blew the whole street up - remember who controls the Daily Prophet.

There's no proof that Dumbledore ever searched for Voldemort. Actually, he had no reason to, since the Prophecy would prevent him from hurting Voldemort even if he DID find him.

Not to mention that after Harry's first year, Dumbledore learned from Quirrel exactly where Voldemort was hiding (Albania). Seeing how both Harry and Ron knew that too, and Peter was hanging out with them at time, it's easy to asume that the rat had learned Voldemort's location even back then.

9. ixazncha0six

That is true, but he must have used a powerful curse in order to kill the 13 people and then turn into an rat without Sirius seeing him do so. In Poa it seems like it takes a few second to turn into a rat.

Also he must be pretty sneaky if he could have played Dumbledore without him finding out (let's assume he had no idea) but I think that Dumbledore did know. It was pretty clever of him to trick the whole goverment that he was dead.

10. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    He could have easily used one explosion curse at a group of Muggles huddled together. You don't need alot of power if there huddled together a simple explosion can kill them all.

Clever my ass. The ministry had no need to even look for Peter. They had Sirius, the man who betrayed the Potters, they could charge him with murder and treason and be heroes, besides Peter to them was a martyr, he died for a cause. Find him alive, no more martyr, no more popularity for Ministry.

Dumbledore didn't need Peter as he thought himself, Sirius was the man who betrayed them, or going on the popular Manipulative!Dumbledore, if Sirius was free Harry couldn't be in his grasp.

He was led by his hand for both resurrecting and the transformation for a rat. Also, Voldemort the most powerful wizard next to Dumbleore led Peter Pettigrew in the resurrecting and guess what HE STILL SCREWED UP...face it hes a dumbass.

11. ixazncha0six

Your right, I know that he is a dumbass and weak but I think that he must have some skill in order to kill those muggles and still turn into an rat right after it. I'm just trying to start a discussion about Peter, but he is coward and dumb but no one answered how Peter could play Dumbledore and the order like a fool. Granted that Dumbledore most likely knew about him, (Proabably not because J.K does not have the guts to make him into the realistic manipulative!Dumbledore.)

12. Dark Lord Rostam

The Order follows Dubledore, so if Dumbledore knew about it, but showed no reason to suspect him they wouldn't either even Mad-Eye, he may be suspicious of everyone, but he never follows his intuition. It doesn't necessarily saw you need power to be able to transfrom after your first time, so what he used two spells. One simple explosion curse at a group of huddled muggles and a diffindo curse at his finger very little curses and he transformed. Also keep in mind he has a small form so it most likely takes less power.

13. Lutris

Lutris Jarl Dovahkiin DLP Supporter

And remember, in canon, it says that the muggle authorities were told that it was a 'gas explosion' or something similar. If, by chance, Peter knew enough about the muggle world (not likely, but possible) and was able to aim at a pipe- high pressure, as well as him being cornered on a 'busy street' makes his murder of thirteen people not that extraordinary.

Not a particularly powerful wizard, but in the right frame of mind, correct position, and a healthy amount of luck, Pettigrew may have been and is extremely useful.

14. Xanatos

Xanatos Professor

I was thinking along the lines of peter accidently hitting a gas pipe osr something, im also sure the maruders had to help him along with the animangus transformation, so i would agree with people, not powerful, but lucky

15. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Dumbledore wouldnt have had a complete idiot running around in the Order

Nor would Voldemort bother with a completely talentless oaf, he would have killed him once he had the info regarding the potters location...

Well thats what i would have done anyway

16. Dark Lord Rostam

he never had a chance to kill him as he most likel had to go to the Potter's right away. Also, after he was a spirit Peter was one of the only Death Eater's to be able to help him as he was believed dead. After he came back he needed all the manpower he could even if that meant keeping Peter. Plus he's a rat that's a good spying implement.

17. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

personally i like how jbern portrays him in to fight the coming darkness.

18. Yarrgh!

Yarrgh! Pirate King

Peter is just another nameless sycophant kissing Voldemort's feet.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ok...he rats the location of the Potters to Voldemort. Voldemort should have killed him right there, but understandably, he decided to take care of the kid who could kill him.

Voldemort gets blasted away, and ostensibly, Peter takes his wand from the wreckage...there's no other way that Voldemort would get it back. This is aother thing to prove that Dumbledore knew...if Voldemort died, then why wasn't his wand there? Someone had to have taken it.

Nowhere does it say that Sirius didn't know that Peter turned into a rat. He knew, which is why he began laughing...the little bastard had tricked them all. As many of the others said, a simple explosion wouldn't be THAT hard for magic to accomplish. Obviously, if the muggles lived, then they would have known that Peter was the one to blow the place up.

He didn't stay in his rat form out of patience or whatever...it was just something that he HAD to do. There was no alternative...either hide as a rat, or live as a hermit, without food or anything being guaranteed. Atleast as scabbers, the Weasleys would feed him.

It was just a bunch of coincidences...or a glaring plot hole. Thre's no way that he could have KNOWN that things would happen that way. He had no way to know that Sirius wouldn't be interogated. It was just a last second decision, one that paid off.

He already knew where Voldemort's spirit was, so hunting around in a forest in his human form wouldn't be dangerous, considering he had a wand. Then, he was probably given directions...Voldemort wouldn't trust anyone to do something without his specific input on the matter, at least not on a topic this important.

19. Niffler Lord

Niffler Lord Headmaster

Peter Powerful? Not a chance. The impression from the books is that he was a weakling hanging off the coat tails of James, Sirus and Remus. It took him longer to learn anything and wasn't that good once he did learn.

On the other hand he is cunning and resourceful when it comes to survival. There is no question of that. He did not have a lot of time to plan his escape when Sirus confronted him but he managed to fool the world.

In short he's a rat!

20. Dark Lord Rostam

Also, he wasn't planning on Sirius even coming after him remember Sirius trapped him with muggles watching, it was a spur of the momen choice he had.