1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Attention Seeker by Helaros. - K+ - (Oneshot)

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by AbyssalDaemon, Apr 23, 2006.

1. AbyssalDaemon

AbyssalDaemon First Year

Title: Attention Seeker
    Author: Helaros.
    Rating: Everybody(K+).
    Genre: General/Angst .
    Pairing: None.
    Words: 437
    Published: May 7, 2005

Summary: Harry tells Dumbledore why. Post-war, one-shot.

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2383922/1/

Something I just found while looking around fanfiction.net somewhat AU given how the story was written before the HBP was published but still a good story.

Checked by Minion, October 10, 2016

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2016
  2. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Short, but okay.

3. tridentwatch

tridentwatch Looked into the void

I loved it! Even though it was short it was awesome. One of the best one shots i have read. Seriously good. Try it and you wont be dissapointed.

4. ChuckDaTruck

ChuckDaTruck Overlord

I liked it a lot. A VERY good one shot.

DEFINITELY worth a minute. Its that short. Concise, compact, and exceptional. Its less than a thousand words, but not one is wasted.

5. Lady Almaren

Lady Almaren Seventh Year

I loved it! Finally someone has realized the potential of the Hufflepuffs. :)

6. Mrriddler

Mrriddler High Inquisitor

Somewhere high, somewhere low and somewhere in bet
    Quite true about the Hufflepuffs. And no one would expect it until it's too late. Mwhahaha.... :twisted:

7. razz

razz Seventh Year

Yeah, this is cool. A pity the author basically only does one-shots.

8. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Well I think it is well written, and it is a very interesting concept. The story is just too short in my opinion to be in the Library. I could be wrong, but this is more of a drabble then one-shot.

I'll give the story a 4/5 personally in what's there.

However, given the fact it's too short really, I'd give it more of a 3/5. If it were longer, I'd say definitely Library worthy but I'm not sure with this. However, I will say I liked the added touch of Hufflepuffs being in his inner circle because they are the ones most loyal.

9. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

It's pretty good, but left me wanting more. At 400+ words, it's barely a scene, let alone a complete fic.

It's a great premise for a story--Harry conquering Dumbledore and Hogwarts with an army of loyal Hufflepuffs--but as it stands there's not enough insight into how Harry became what he is.

5/5 for the idea.

3/5 for the actual story; it's hard to recommend something so short and undeveloped.

10. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

3/5 it is. If there had been just a bit more background it would have been much better. The premise is different, so I'm tempted to go for a 4, but the brevity robs a good bit of the enjoyment.

11. Lordenere

Lordenere Squib

Harry could never overpower Dumbledore at Hogwarts. Voldemort couldn't do it so Harry sure can't too.

Good idea for a AU fic.

Shortness kills the feeling of the fic and that's why I give it 3/5.

Huflepuffs. Be afraid of them.

12. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

???

I didn't get it. The writing is good, but the shortness of it and the lack of a point or a punch line killed it for me. 2/5.

13. sincostan

sincostan High Inquisitor

Terrible. If you read a one sentence description of the story, it would be no better or worse than the story itself. I hesitate to even call this prose. 1/5.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  14. FlyingShadows

FlyingShadows Squib

High Score:
    Enjoyed the way the Hufflepuffs were in the inner circle because of their loyalty however it seems he judges them by their house alone which is as unrealistic as slytherin=evil. The fact he managed to take over Hogwarts is somewhat unrealistic
    Overall I liked the idea behind it but the underdeveloped way it was executed ruined it for me.
    3/5

15. ScottPress

ScottPress The Horny Sovereign –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    This is all setup and no payoff. "You taught me to hate"? We get nothing in the way of explanation, it's not the least bit fleshed out. It reads like a Dumbledore bash fic reduced to a one-shot that fails to be thoughtful. It's absolutely possible to write a short piece and express a lot (Cauterize), but this isn't one of those.

The worst offence it commits is inserting repetitions and bursts of purple prose when it's already less than 500 words.

This fic is like a breath of air. Tasteless, colorless, lacks solidity and forgettably short.

Giving it even 2/5 for lack of typos and such would be a stretch. 1/5, because the page might as well be blank.

16. Majube

Majube Order Member DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey, stop making fun of air! Honestly I found it pretty terrible myself but lots of what's in the DLP Library before 2007/8/ or even 9 is pretty bad. Give it a 1.5/5 myself and found it pretty unclear as well they didn't explain anything and didn't develop the aftermath of Dumbledore death, the fallout and what th- why does Harry think Dumble shy's away from attention?! The author's other story on the other hand https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2430459/3/Not-the-Best-Start
    has a lot of setup an no payoff as well!
    Repetition

17. The Pro

The Pro Seventh Year

High Score:
    Rubbish. This is legitimate rubbish. I hesitate to even call it rubbish in the first place, as that implies it had some level of worth in the first place. A few hundred words does not make a good oneshot except for the most talented of authors. This author is not one of them.

There was nothing remotely good about it. The prose was bland. The characters are bland. Hell, even the bloody "atmosphere" the author attempted to create was bland. This is in no way worth more than 1/5.

18. Nazgoose

Nazgoose The Honky-tonk ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter DLP Gold Supporter

High Score:
    1/5 from me. It's just too short. I like the general concept of just having a scene where Dumbledore and Harry sit down to talk about how things ended up like this, but like ScottPress said, there's no real explanation. Just "You taught me to hate" isn't nearly enough.