1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete The Balance of Power trilogy by KrystalRoze - K

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Nymph, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Nymph

Nymph Second Year

Title: The Balance of Power (4 stories)
    Author: KrystalRoze
    Rating: K
    Genre: General/Drama
    Pairing: H/G (VERY mild)
    Summary: It's Harry's fifth year and he's finally able to escape the Dursleys only to find that Voldemort has other plans. After numberous failed attempts to rid himself of the Gryffindor brat, Lord Voldemort now knows he must change tactics.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/426481/

Well if you have a lot of time on your hands, like I do, I would recommend this story to you. All 4 of the stories were finished before OotP came out so it has some very ineresting and original ideas. The best part of the story is probably Voldemort's characterization. He is not some insane, stupid Dark Lord who can't add one and two together, but is smart, cunning, and very manupulative. I haven't finished the series myself yet, but I'm more than half way through them. Give it a try.

P.S. The total amount of H/G is probably no more than 5 paragraphs for the whole series. I just skipped all of it. Don't let it scare you away from the series.

Book 1: Harry Potter and the Slytherin Connection
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 78,922
    Updated: August 10, 2004
    Published: July 27, 2003
    Summary: It's Harry's fifth year and he's finally able to escape the Dursleys only to find that Voldemort has other plans. After numberous failed attempts to rid himself of the Gryffindor brat, Lord Voldemort now knows he must change tactics.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1447698/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Slytherin-Connection

Book 2: Harry Potter and the Unexpected Inheritance
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 38,467
    Updated: August 20, 2004
    Published: August 10, 2004
    Sequal to Harry Potter and the Slytherin Connection. The plot and the themes continue. Voldemort continues his manipulation, Harry becomes and Animagas, Harry is arrested, more about the balance of power and the title comes into play.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2006321/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Unexpected-Inheritance

Book 3: Harry Potter and the Trelawney Prophecy
    Chapters: 21
    Words: 83,764
    Updated: September 15, 2004
    Published: August 20, 2004
    Sequel to the Unexpected Inheritance. As the most powerful 17 year old wizard in the world, will Harry succumb to Voldemort's manipulations and become the Balance of Power? The fate of the wizarding world depends on one single choice.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2021674/1/Harry-Potter-and-the-Trelawney-Prophecy

Book 4: Harry Potter and Salazar's Talisman
    Chapters: 22
    Words: 102,102
    Updated: December 9, 2004
    Published: October 1, 2004
    Sequel to The Balance of Power trilogy (The Slytherin Connection, the Unexpected Inheritance and the Trelawney Prophesy). Post Hogwarts. Can Harry get out of this last mess – alive? The manipulation continues.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2078709/1/Harry-Potter-and-Salazar-s-Talisman

Checked by Minion, Dec. 10, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2012
  2. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

I've read these...they are indeed brilliant. They should be read simply for how well the author does Voldemort. And the H/G is indeed so mild that even I can ignore it (not to say that I wouldn't have preferred him with somebody else). IIRC, this was the series that I got the idea to have Harry learn to fence in Happy Red Prince from.

3. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Interesting. I am on the fence for whether I'd recommend this entire series or not, but in the end I think I fall into saying that yes, I suppose I would. If the writing in the first story was as good as that in the fourth, then it would be a yes, but despite a somewhat interesting story it's just hard to get through the start due to the writing style. Keep that in mind if you decide to try them, but it does improve somewhat.

I just read all four of them in the past week. I must admit to being captivated by the story, even when it was being poorly told. If the author was to go through and re-write this story I think it would make my top 10 list, but only if.

I think one thing that helps is that these stories were written in between GoF and OotP. I honestly believe that's a great time frame for great fiction, and I wouldn't mind if some authors would go back and do AUs at that point now, despite having further canon material to work with. It seems to inspire more creativity as there isn't an Order, Horcruxes, or Prophecy.

Let me give a basic rundown of the story. No big spoilers outside of the spoiler tag though, so don't worry if you keep reading after it.

Harry leaves the Dursleys to go with Sirius after his fourth year because Sirius has gotten his name cleared. As soon as Harry is away from the wards at Privet Drive, Voldemort begins his manipulations of Harry. Harry leaves to go to Voldemort to protect his friends and family, and ends up negotiating their safety with Voldemort in return for coming back later to learn things that Voldemort has to teach him.

Harry continues to be manipulated by Voldemort, who wants Harry to join him. Harry does a damned good job of resisting for years, but the contract he has with Voldemort to keep his friends safe has him returning to Voldemort's presence somewhat regularly. Harry is brave and powerful, though not overly so until the end when he becomes Voldemort's equal. The bond that develops between Harry and Voldemort is intriguing, and in the end they have come to care for each other somewhat. This appears to have happened despite either of them wanting it as a result of the connections they share.

Draco and Harry become friends. It is mostly a "we are both being manipulated by Voldemort, it's nice to realize that someone else sort of knows how it feels" type of friendship trigger. I think it is well done.

Harry kills Voldemort at the end of the third story, which corresponds to Harry's 7th year. He expects and intends to die but does not. Because of the manner in which this took place, Voldemort returns as a ghost in the fourth story.

Voldemort is very, very manipulative and has a brilliant mind. I really do like the way he is written. If Voldemort was going to try and get Harry to join him, this is how he would probably go about it. He realizes that he needs Harry to join of his own free will, and he attempts to make that a reality.

There were a lot of things I didn't like about the story, and one of them is that Voldemort seemed to go a bit "soft" at some points when Harry was around. That could be attributed to his not wanting Harry to know about certain things, but it still makes it seem like Voldemort is less dangerous than he should be.

Also, gah, I just can't get away from some of the uninspired writing at the start. I kept reading to see what would happen next, but the writing itself drew me in not at all. It did get better, but it took a while and I just had to say that again.

The story is Harry/Ginny, that is true. Like a previous poster said though, there really isn't that much of it at all. It's quite easy to ignore or just read through. Ron and Hermione remain Harry's friends. Ron is portrayed as a loyal friend, but not much else. Hermione is portrayed as brilliant and capable of talking with Voldemort without being trapped by word games. The story in the end is about Harry and Voldemort though, and they are the primary players.

I guess this has gone on long enough for a review. I think I will give it a 4/5. It's not 5/5 because of some of the writing at the start and some of the plot points that needed to be fleshed out and/or fixed. That said, whatever list of things I could make about the problems I had with this story, it *did* keep me reading to the end. That says something too, for me at least.

It's been a long while since anyone posted here -- has anyone else read these stories? I'd be curious about other reactions.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  4. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Ok, so after that long review you left, Cheddar, I felt compelled to read this yesterday. Only the actual trilogy, though. I got a chapter or two into the fourth and gave up on it.

As you said, the writing at first was a bit cringe-worthy, but I pushed through anyway. That definitely improves as time passes, but something felt a little...off, to me.

Voldemort's character is definitely well thought out and well written. This is some of the best characterization of him I've seen in fanfiction, well, ever. The only problem is that he doesn't ever seem to do anything if it doesn't involve manipulating Harry. And sure, Harry is the center of Voldemort's plans here, but it makes the old Dark Lord feel like something more of a grandfather with a sadistic sense of humor and too much personal power.

The main thing that really bothers me is how unrealistic this whole thing felt. The Ministry and the Order both treat Voldemort as if his first reign of terror was nothing more than a minor argument whenever they encounter him. There's no sense of conflict outside of the manipulation of Harry.

The H/G is very mild, and even though I dislike the ship, the way Harry nicknamed her was pretty realistic; I can't really begrudge the author a very realistic, seldom mentioned relationship.

All that said, this is still worth reading, if for no other reason than to see what a semi-original fanfic looks like. We don't see many of those these days outside of DLP authors.

I'd give this one a total of 3.5/5 (points off for lack of conflict and early writing style), rounded up to 4/5. Anyone who's bored but doesn't feel liking trolling through ff.net should definitely check this one out.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2009
  5. Ched

Am I too stupid to figure out how to edit my posts or did I somehow lose the ability to do that? I swear I've done it before on this forum. There used to be a little EDIT button somewhere in the vicinity of the post you made. It's making me mad ^^

?! I edited this one just fine? Why doesn't my earlier post have an edit option by the quote option then? Is there a limited number of edits? Now that I am looking I see that I edited that one before too...

What I wanted to edit into my post was an agreement that this probably is more a 3.5/5 than a 4/5, and that I'm glad someone else read it. Like you said, and like I sort of said, one of the biggest issues is that Voldemort just doesn't seem to be out causing mayhem or spreading fear. You said it better by describing it as unrealistic in places.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  6. vlad

vlad Banned ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's tricksy. You get 24 hours before the edit button goes away.

7. Ched

Thanks, that makes sense. :awesome