1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Different, Uncrowded Pairings

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by mehetabelo, Apr 25, 2006.

1. mehetabelo

mehetabelo Guest

First, let me say straight away, that I haven't gone through all the posts yet, not even close to all of them. Ever time I try and get around to it I end up getting dragged away or start writing. I know I'm not a prominent member of the boards or anything, but I do read them occasionally, so I figured I'd start taking a slightly more active role, or try to.

So, I've been going through every single (straight) pairing there is, thinking about them, and most seem to be getting a little crowded. Granted there's a few that people haven't really gone into much, like Harry/Lily, because of the fact that people are sickened by it, or disgusted by the thought, but I'm wondering if anyone can come up with some good pairings that haven't been used much at all.

Like, how often do you see a Harry/Rita? I mean, seriously, she's in the books off and on, and she's about the same age as Narcissa or Bellatrix, and the actress that plays her really isn't that bad looking.

Or, for that matter, Sibyll Trelawney. I mean, based on the actress she plays, while (given her current style) she doesn't look that great, clean her up a little bit, fix the hair, take away the glasses... voilà she's not such a bad looking woman.

There's also a few other teachers, Vector (who is considered a witch by JKR's notes) or Sinistra, who Harry has class with but she never seems to get mentioned at all good or bad.

To get away from teachers, lets look at other options. Madam Rosmerta, she's described in HBP (I recall reading about it just the other day) as a "curvy and attractive bar­maid" and based on the next comment " for whom he (Ron) had long nursed a soft spot." Ron likes pretty women, and if he likes Rosmerta, well she's probably damn good looking. Why has no one written much about her? I believe I've seen one fic that worked with it, and it was a while ago, I don't even remember what it was about.

Now, I'm going to reveal two of the people I'm working on writing stuff about (though they may just be one-shots), I'm not sure, they're not exactly short stories at the moment.

Two recent entries, as of HBP, both I've never seen or heard of before, so if I'm mistaken and they have been used (or if anyone has used any of the others above) let me know please, I'd be interested in reading them.

First is Mrs. Zabini. Let's see what HBP has to say about her.
    "Zabini, who was interrogated after McLaggen, turned out to have a famously beautiful witch for a mother (from what Harry could make out, she had been married seven times, each of her husbands dying mysteriously and leaving her mounds of gold)."

How can that not have *some* appeal for writers out there? People seem to like Narcissa, and Bella, making them out to be gorgeous woman that are (generally – which greatly annoys me) brought over from the dark to be at Harry's side. Now, we're given a drop dead gorgeous woman and no one even writes about her? I know people like to ignore cannon, hell, I like to think of Blaise as a female still, though I've tended to avoid it in most of my work lately unless it's already in the story. Not that anyone's read much of my current work, since it's unpublished for the most part.

Alright, and the other one. This is a bit of a longer stretch, but let's talk about it anyway. People like to do time-fics. Harry jumps back in time and takes on a whole entourage of women who all want to get into his pants. Usually he ends up in the time period his mother was in school, or all the way back to the time of the founders. Well, why not Merope Gaunt? I mean, having Harry being Tom's real daddy isn't a new idea at all, and I don't really like it – though it could be amusing – but she did wander around London for months after Tom left her, and there's all the time before then, Harry could have popped around anytime. I don't think Tom'd be happy to find out Harry had a romp with his mother at some point.

So, anyway, I'm through taking up space for now. There are even stranger pairings, and I'm working on a couple, so I won't give away *all* my thoughts just yet, but I'd like to hear what others have to say about the above, or others that haven't been brought up. If this is a bit of a repeat post – yes, I've read a lot of the pairing posts but most of them end up being people ranting – let me know, and I'll go read it.

.mehetabelo

2. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I believe Cervus is writing a story that will either have Harry/Sinistra or Harry/HJones. Dont see much of them around. The most I've seen of Sinistra in a story was when Harry came to the school in his seventh year, was a total badass and saved her from being raped by some dude. She started getting all flirty with him.

Some of those pairings you mentioned dont sound half bad, though I dont think magic herself could clean up Merope Gaunt.

3. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

If you do a Sybill/Harry fic, keep in mind she stares into balls made of crystall All day long.

Harry/Petunia, Harry/Sister, Harry/Fem!Harry, Harry/UnnamedStudent are all I can think of in the "Not done a lot" department..

Even H/Bella and H/Narc have there fair share..

Anyway, good to see you're going to be a bit more active.

4. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    Gaunt's like the Ginny of the oldies, slut and dirt poor....that said your other pairing ideas are fantastic...I'm looking forward to the Mrs. Zabini one.

5. mehetabelo

mehetabelo Guest

HJones? er? I don't recall a Jones.
    edit: nevermind, I remembered. Hestia's not a bad idea.

And to address Merope Gaunt, she is a reaction to her environment, I think, with some work and some proper sustenance she could probably be a lot better. You can't expect her to look like a model after living in a shack with a family that can't even keep clean. It really doesn't say much about her in the book anyway, lets see...

"
    There was a scuffling noise in the corner beside the open window, and Harry realized that there was somebody else in the room, a girl whose ragged gray dress was the exact color of the dirty stone wall behind her. She was standing beside a steaming pot on a grimy black stove, and was fiddling around with the shelf of squalid-looking pots and pans above it. Her hair was lank and dull and she had a plain, pale, rather heavy face. Her eyes, like her brother's, stared in opposite directions. She looked a little cleaner than the two men, but Harry thought he had never seen a more defeated-looking person.

And...

"I remember she said to me, 'I hope he looks like his papa,' and I won't lie, she was right to hope it, because she was no beauty — and then she told me he was to be named Tom, for his father, and Marvolo, for her father — yes, I know, funny name, isn't it? We wondered whether she came from a circus — and she said the boy's surname was to be Riddle. And she died soon after that without another word.
    "

It doesn't say she's ugly, toad-like, hawk-like, or anything like that, she's dull/plain with a heavy face. It does say she 'was no beauty' but then, we're talking about someone that's been living on the streets for months, maybe living in alleyways and such, not many people can look good after that. Besides, I'm not saying she has to be beautiful, and besides, there's always the old saying 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' so you can't say she's ugly and have someone else think the same thing, there are people in the world (as strange as it is) that like portly woman, or toadlike *shivers umbitch* like women. You never know.

6. mehetabelo

mehetabelo Guest

Petunia is a point, however, /sister /fem!harry /unnamed-student are all stuff outside of cannon, I'm trying to focus on cannon charactors, even if they're not fully developed.

7. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

Hestia Jones, Intro'd in OotP and a member of the Order.

8. Dark Lord Rostam

Dark Lord Rostam Button La Famiglia Midknight

In that thing you call a closet. Better watch out,
    HJones is Hestia Jones a woman in the order who's age has never really been adressed. Merope could be an intresting paring, maybe you could do something like at first she only is going with Harry because finally someone likes her and her father wants his money. Eventually she likes him, father gest mad things escalate etc etc.

9. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Merope Gaunt's looks are also affected by her family marrying their cousins, I'm sure Dumbledore said something like this. She had eyes that looked in two different directions.

10. mehetabelo

mehetabelo Guest

Ah, another I just was thinking about. In the first book there is a woman that can't seem to get enough of Harry named Doris Crockford, she shakes his hand like three times or some crap like that, making it obvious she's twitterpated to meet him.

And LT2000 brings up a good point. Su Li, since she's there and you can never have enough of eastern women.

11. mehetabelo

mehetabelo Guest

This is true, but I can't find a reference to her eyes, and the cousin comment was "

"Marvolo, his son, Morfin, and his daughter, Merope, were the last of the Gaunts, a very ancient Wizarding family noted for a vein of instability and violence that flourished through the generations due to their habit of marrying their own cousins. Lack of sense coupled with a great liking for grandeur meant that the family gold was squandered several generations before Marvolo was born."

12. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

Indeed.

Su Li is canon, though she isnt. She is on the list of students JKR showed in an interview years ago yet she has never been mentioned in any of the books. I guess thats just like Moon, though at least you saw that persons last name.

13. Silke

Silke Second Year

Lets see:

Melinda Bobbin from Slughorn's slug club? Can't remember if there were any descriptions about her though. Her family runs a chain of apothecaries.

Eleanor Brandstone, a Hufflepuff, younger then Harry i think.

Mandy Brocklehurst She's in Harrys year, can't remember if she's been mention anywhere except the sorting since i've only read the HP books once.

Emma Dobbs also younger then Harry i think, don't quote me on that though.

Victoria Frobisher, she's in the Charms Club.

Daphne Greengrass, Sally-Anne Perks, Tracey Davis, Patricia Stimpson, Lisa Turpin, Emmeline Vance, Verity, Laura Madley.
    There are more but i'm too tired to mention more, the point is, there are ALOT of characters never or rarely used.

Finally someone that mentions Merope Gaunt, i've written around 70k words on a HP/Merope story. But it starts when he has destroyed Voldemort and is thrown back in time, so i'm thinking about writing a post-GoF story before i release the HP/Merope one so it doesn't seem so far fetched.

14. ip82

ip82 Prisoner

How about Alice Longbottom?

Post-Voldemort Harry is using Legilimency, trying to cure her. They meet inside her mind (sort of like Matrix) and get to know each other, while looking the way out of the maze. The base for romance could be Harry's pover of love thing (he needs some stimuli to access his powers).

Once she wakes up, Harry starts working on her husband. But they continue their relationship in the real world, while Harry is working with Frank in his mind.

Great ending could be Alice threating to end their relationship once Frank wakes up. In a fit of jealousy, Harry kills Frank's virtual persona... or something like that.

Blah, too much romance. But still, it hasn't been done before.

15. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

How about Hermione or Ginny???

But seriously maybe madame Rosmerta (spelling?)

16. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

I always like the pairing h/katie h/tracey h/fleur h/gabriel h/susan h/alicia...

17. Cervus

Cervus Raptured to Hell

I am indeed writing a Harry/Hestia story. Romance will not be playing a major part in the focus of the plot however. I currently have the whole fic plotted and am in the process of filling in the blanks (actually writing the story). It's coming along well at the moment, though it will be a while before it sees the light of day. I am hoping to get a good majority of the story written before uploading, this way I can at least attempt to stick to some sort of upload schedule. The plot bunny for this really bit me in the arse and I've been spending a hell of a lot of time on it.

When thought about there are a lot of pairings that I haven't seen done before. Harry/Rosmerta sounds like fun. As does Sinistra, Merope, and Alice Longbottom. How about Harry/Miranda Goshawk, author of The Standard Book of Spells series, I bet she could teach him a thing or two.

18. Dark Syaoran

Dark Syaoran No. 4 Admin

I was talking about a Harry/Alice Longbottom story awhile ago, IP. Though it was very... sick and... unusual. Yes...

Anyway, what about that girl that tried to slip Harry love potion? Romalda or something. Cant remember her name.

Who else is there... Myrtle... nah, that's just strange.

19. LT2000

LT2000 Heir

Romilda Vane, and you all are forgetting the true OTP of the series...

Harry/Aunt Marge FTW~!

20. Silke

Silke Second Year

I can't believe i forgot to mention Andromeda.