1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Exceptions by believeindreamers - T

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by Lord Supremo, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Lord Supremo

Lord Supremo Second Year

Title: Exceptions
    Author: believeindreamers
    Rating: T
    Genre: Independent!Harry with strong elements of Severitus
    Pairing: None so far, and none on the horizon
    Summary: A sixth-year fic centered around Harry Potter and everyone's favorite Potions Master. Dark Harry! Rated for language and violence. Harry's taking charge, and not everyone's happy about it.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1949991/1/

The summary on this fic really doesn't do it any kind of justice. It is truly one of the most original works I've ever seen, nothing in it has rung any bells of anything I've read before. Its short: believeindreamers only posted 6 chapters/22,000 words, but very worth your while. Definetly one of the best fics I've read in a long time.

2. gabriel

gabriel First Year

not a big fan of severitus or of reformed snape, but this was actually pretty good. well written, most of the chapters were of decent length, morbid enough to keep my attention, and very original. end of the fifth chapter was a bit sappy snape fauning on harry was ooc and it kind of carried over into the sixth, when they stood up to molly it was more in character than holding his hand. harry was moderately powerful but only after intense one on one practice no god-like powers. harry knew that levitation and cheering charms werent gonna cut it with voldemort and embraced the dark arts as a means to an end. well worth a read if for nothing else than a chance at seeing gingin get tortured by some death eaters *crosses fingers, praying to many dieties*
    cheers
    :cheers:

3. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

Took me a moment to realize sabecat had gotten a rename to "believeindreamers" here.

This is written by a fervent Snape!fan, but thankfully not a slashy one. Considering how little was written and how long ago it came out, I think this fic is pretty much dead in the water. Not much point to posting or recommending it either.

But two things, one: Yellow, oww, my eyes! Dear god, why?
    and two: lose the brackets on at least the "Link" so that it's clickable. Or if for some aesthetic reason you want the brackets then edit it to [http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1949991/1/] i.e. [http://www.fanfiction.net/s/1949991/1/][/url9] (without the "9" in the closing bracket)

4. gabriel

gabriel First Year

read this late last night, saw an update of 2/22 just assumed it was this year. well from a snape fan it was suprisingly well written, but as is the case with most decent stories on ff dot net it was abandoned. oh well, thanks for the heads up nonjon

why not yellow?

5. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

What an odd little fic. There's something strangely compelling about it, even though it's only 22k words. Harry goes to Snape to get training in the Dark Arts, and the two become close in a hurry. Harry has a rather interesting animagus form and acquires a new pet basilisk.

I'm not sure I can properly describe the style. It's as if there were supposed to have been twelve chapters instead of six, and the author decided to omit every other chapter. The transition from one chapter to the next is very disorienting. It seems like it was done on purpose.

At any rate, it had a lot of promise, but has been abandoned for over three years. An abandoned fic in the library needs to have more substance.

3/5

6. Manatheron

Manatheron Headmaster

This:

Is setting off all kinds of alarms. No, it's not a spoiler, it's the start of the story.

Hmm... I think mike may have a very valid point when he said it's an odd little fic, but strangely compelling.

Chapter 2: Again, compelling. I think it's in the sense that you can almost see this having happened in cannon if things had gone a little differently, If harry had been a little more jaded to begin with. The first half of chapter 1 is seriously cringe-worthy, but if you can make yourself accept it as the basis, the story is pretty good.

Wince-worthy moments abound however.

Sentimental Snape is wrong on SO many levels, but somehow this fic makes it work.

Chapter 3: Angsty good-as-suicidal!Harry still fails in every sense of the concept. Even if the rest is inexplicably working.

Ah, now the suckage is coming out in force

for a few scary minutes there I actually thought I was going to give this fic a 4.

Damn, and Snape is in character again... well somewhat... He's back to snarky anyway, anything else is just fucking creepy on him.

Remus is a walking cliche' and I just realized that harry is Fatalistic in this fic, which, looking back, should have been really obvious right off the bat.

Also, Empathic Harry Ftl. He doesn't need it, I don't know why the author made him into one.

Chapter 4: Aaaand he's moved into fatalistically Morbid and I no longer feel the need to read any more of it. Final Verdict, Odd, somewhat compelling (I think it's that 'watching a train wreck about to happen' way) but ultimately not good enough.

Comfortably mediocre, 2.7/5 (Call it three) because it's not bad per-say, but it's just not good either.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009