PDA

View Full Version : [WIP] The World Without by Lunaludus Scribex - M - Fate/Stay Night

Oxy
10-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Title: The World Without
Author: Lunaludus Scribex
Rating: M
Genre: Fantasy
DLP Category: Alternates
Pairing: none known
Chapters: 13
Words: 127,641
Updated: May 23, 2012
Published: August 7, 2009
Summary: Tiger Dojo 1 AU/continuation. One refusal does not end the story...nor one casualty, the battles. Even without Emiya Shirou, the Grail War goes on. -IN PROGRESS-
Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5282769/1/The_World_Without

After googling around at TV tropes I came across this fic. An AU where Shirou Emiya refused to participate in the Holy Grail War. Without Saber he got killed (well not exactly dead, but he is as good as dead). Saber in turn became the servant of Sakura. A FSN with Sakura as the main heroine.

I will tell you in advance that my knowledge of FSN Heaven's Feel is not as great as I would wish it to be. I have only watched the anime. As such I can't criticize a story if I have little knowledge of it, beside the obvious like grammar or vocab ofcourse. Which are all well done. Anyways so far the story has been very entertaining for me. It might, or might not, be a pleasant story for people who know the FSN Heaven's Feel story thoroughly. Regardless I would recommend people to give it a try.

4.5/5

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

SmileOfTheKill
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
The hell is this story doing in the recycling bin? This story along with Chaos Theory is the best stories in all of Fate/Stay night that I currently know of, and this is in the Bin.

iLost
09-06-2011, 09:12 AM
^Completely agree. I read that through a few months ago and was pretty entertained. An easy 5/5 if I've read one. I think I had meant to post it here For Review, but I guess I forgot.

For those that are Sakura fans, this fic is definitely not for you. For those others, its interesting. The tension with Saber in Sakura's family is very well done, though at times it lends vaguely towards drama, but it wasn't off putting.

I liked the style of writing done, they've got experience and know pretty much what they are doing. The story was engaging, since I really had no idea what was going to happen next. And nothing is made easy for the two main heroines. Due to Saber's unique position, and Sakura's, well, personality, they have to struggle through.

Also, the pairing is Sakura/Saber, since OP didn't list one.

One thing I didn't really like or get into was Shirou's fate. Basically, what the author continues to do to him, though I think he plays some role later on in the story.

Ilya is pretty fucked up in this.

So final, 5/5.

DemonicInfluence
09-06-2011, 12:51 PM
I'll third the opinions in those two posts. This story is quite entertaining, especially since it doesn't have Shirou play much of a role. This last chapter was a good change in that it had some action. However, I feel Sakura was a bit too inactive and just a passive observer, especially since she basically watched Shinji get killed.

KaiDASH
09-06-2011, 08:09 PM
Yeah but she just watched
shinji be a complete monster to everyone
so I think it's pretty understandable.

Like the others, no idea what this is doing in recycling.

Hashasheen
09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Like the others, no idea what this is doing in recycling.

Mods don't really look at this section. They probably saw an early 1-star from some douche and just put it here and never checked again.

Jarik
09-08-2011, 06:31 AM
Another fan of here.

My favorite FSN fic apart from In Flight (which is a crossover, only half counts). Such a good update too, after the nothing dream sequence that was last update.

A good concept overall. A lot of scenes I've wanted to see in FSN fics appear here

Including Shinji getting brutally fucked in front of everyone.

I think the little background interludes from Shirou's point of view are awesome. It'll be pretty epic when he does eventually trace his whole body and go nuts.

Overall a 4.5/5. Definitely not recycling bin material!

Shame we'll have to wait for so long for the next one given this author's update rate.

Dark Syaoran
10-04-2011, 12:29 AM
I have mixed feelings about this story. While the writing is undoubtedly good and the premise is original, I find myself struggling to care about the main characters used. People who don't mind reading stories about side characters taking the lead won't have any trouble, though, and certain bits of the story I love.

The parts involving Shirou and Ilya - first the torture, then the strange bond that develops later on - are my favourite scenes of the story. They are the main reason I follow it.

Edit: Moved thread from bin. Didn't even know it was there.

Tehlaziboi
10-04-2011, 01:32 AM
^That's the only reason I follow it. I've taken to skipping much of the chapters to read those parts so I can't give a solid review. But what I can say is that the author keeps Shirou and Ilya generally in-character. Pyschopathic loli and all.

SmileOfTheKill
12-20-2011, 12:38 AM
It updated. Anyone else more amused by what happened with Rin than anything else?

Jarik
12-20-2011, 08:40 AM
I liked the chapter. The thing with Rin and Ayako was a bit cheesy - but in a good way. And somewhat believable given Rin's character - she tries to be the perfect magus, and yet is still quite sentimental.

Still remains my favorite non-crossover FSN fic. I think unlike a lot of people, I don't have an aversion to reading fics where side characters take a main role.

KaiDASH
12-20-2011, 10:22 AM
I lol'd when

Lancer got masterjacked again

Good update!

DemonicInfluence
12-20-2011, 11:56 AM
I lol'd when

Lancer got masterjacked again

Good update!

That was pretty funny. I was hoping for more info on the Shirou and Illya sideplot, but alas.

yak
01-21-2012, 04:45 AM
I just read this. I agree with Jarik, this is my favourite FSN fic. The writing is masterful, the characters are brought to life, I can't tell where canon ends and poetic licence begins, and even this fic's weakest chapter brings much insight into the motives of established canon characters who I had thought I already knew.

5/5. Good work from Lunaludus Scribex.

Nemrut
01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Weird but I seem to have enjoyed this significantly less than you guys. The story focuses too much on Sakura and her misery to be truly enjoyable, especially since Sakura doesn't really do anything against it and in fact tries to keep it that way.

However, Rider, Saber and the thing between Ilya and Shirou is certainly interesting.

3/5 from me.

Banta
05-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Updated (http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5282769/13/The_World_Without).

Archer fucks Sakura. Independent Action indeed.

Jarik
05-23-2012, 11:15 PM
The interaction between Illya and Archer was pretty cool too.

Interesting to learn that the memory/dream connection between Shirou and Illya works both ways. Though instead of fostering understanding, seems to just create more resentment in Illya.

Was funny to see Rin trying to make a variety of excuses as to why she couldn't help Sakura with her prana problems.

KaiDASH
05-24-2012, 12:49 AM
Fun update, I had a huge grin most of the way through.

DemonicInfluence
08-05-2013, 06:02 AM
Uh wow, this was updated. It was an infodump chapter, but I still liked it.

SmileOfTheKill
08-05-2013, 07:12 AM
Infodump chapter? God damn. I hate how any chapter that isn't pure action is considered infodump.

On a more serious reaction to this update.

IT UPDATED YAY YAYAYAYAYAYA!

Jarik
08-05-2013, 08:19 PM
Got all excited when I saw the email notification come through and had to wait all day until I got home til I could read it.

Love this fic. It still remains one of my favorite FSN stories. Always really enjoyed the interaction between Sakura and Rin.

And I agree with SmileOfTheKill. This wasn't infodump at all. The only infodump was Archer explaining Servants to Ayako. It was more just scenes dealing with the aftermath of the previous chapter.

The only reason it feels somewhat empty is because of how long it's been since the last update.