1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Superman gets a new look

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Covil, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Covil

Covil Fourth Year

Coming to a store near you it's Super-emo-man.

And at last Superman himself, long a man who stood cheerful in the face of wangst and emos, has fallen.

2. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    For fuck's sake. First Devil May Cry, and now this?

3. Krogan

Krogan Alien in a Hat ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I think a little piece of me died inside when I read "the all new politically correct Superman to coalign with Baracks zeitgeist", why did anyone think this was a good idea?

4. Ash'Ura

Ash'Ura Totally Sirius

The change is only for the earth origins comics, so it's not too late yet. Still, it's not really a suprising change since everyone seems to be cashing in the emo, twilight vampire look. Also, Superman's not the only with a new look. Wonder Woman's got one too.

5. The Santi

The Santi Professor

Saw this about a week or so ago. It still makes me rage. The fact that the article I read called this version a more "twilight-based brooding Clark Kent" made me want to stab someone.

6. Krogan

High Score:
    .....................Twilight......
    .......................................Twilight based....

The cancer is spreading, where the fuck is Blackwatch when you need them?

7. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Also, he's a vampire now. Or what's with the eyes?

8. Krogan

High Score:
    Heat Vision, his eyes actually glow bright red like that even now when he's going to use it.

9. Dethklok

Dethklok Order Member

The power of Christ compels him not to tell you.
    Reading this article gave me a better angle on 'emo/Twilight Superman'. It doesn't sound terrible, but it doesn't sound good either.

We all know that beyond all the bullshit and existentialism Clark Kent is Superman and vice versa, and it will always be that way. Being who he is and what he could do, Clark could never stand by and be just another human going through his life. Superman at the same time could never be in costume and on point 24/7. He was raised as a human, as Clark Kent. Both aspects of Kal-El fit each other.

This comic could have done less with the wringing of the hands and twiddling of the thumbs on a foregone conclusion of Clark Kent=Superman and had a better transition into the action/supervillians etc. of this story.

I'm a little disappointed in J. Michael Straczynski. This is the guy who did Babylon 5 and Rising Stars, one of my favorite TV shows and comics respectively, and he couldn't get that doing a 'realistic', if you can call it that, take on Superman, an unrealistic, larger than life character, would crash and burn?

10. Fiat

Fiat The Chosen One DLP Supporter

I knew I was in for something retarded when I read the words 'obama's america' and 'Barack's zeitgeist.'

I was just expecting a totally different type of retarded. I was expecting 'Kal-El is a terror baby! Repeal the 14th amendment so more aliens like him can't be brought here illegally! We need to strengthen our border with space!'

11. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

I've read this comics and it's has some interesting bits, like when young Clark is looking for a job he wants to do (you can imagine that after showing little of his real skills everyone wanted to hire him on a spot, be it football team or research lab).

But idea of emo Superman is bad. But to add insult to injury, guess who become real badass in this comics? Jimmy Olsen. Yes, him. I like Jimmy Olsen, really. I think that showing him as a real photojournalist (we all know what crazy stuff they do to make a good photo) is a great idea. But when it is him, standing before an army of aliens invaders and telling them about making photos to show a truth, that makes Superman to start behaving like, well, like a Superman, then you know something isn't right there.

By the way, that's strike two for J. Michael Straczynski, because his story in regular Superman comics also isn't that good. It had interesting premise, but right now it is medicore at best, boring at worst.

EDIT: Or should I say, strike three and out? Because new Wonder Woman also is his doing.

12. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Wonder Woman-now with my mom's 1996 coat!

Seriously, every female I know over 30 had that coat in the 90's.

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

If your mom looks that good wearing it, tell her to hit me up :awesome

On topic: seems like the logical route for a rebooted Superman to me. Every other alien species with gobs of power at their beck and call have been depicted as outright evil - I think a moody teenager is a small sacrifice. Happy-go-lucky klutz got old in the 90's. As for the hoody, well...it's a helluva lot better for concealing one's identity than a pair of glasses.

And let's be honest: if you could shoot laser beams out of your eyes, you'd make them smolder at any given moment, on principle. That issh trancends good guy/bad guy imagery.

14. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

Well, maybe but not in this comics. He only use hood in the beginning to set a mood.

And if there was one thing that made me cringe when reading this comics, it was a issue of secret identity. In normal universe, Clark started using glasses much earlier before he moved to Metropolis. I can suspend my disbelief that because nobody saw him without glasses, they can recognize him as Superman. There? He went on various interviews to jobs as Clark Kent, many of them high profile job like mentioned above football player, and all this looking as Superman. Hell, he went to Daily Planet day before invasion, also looking as Superman, so Lois and everybody else have a good look at him. But the next day he wears costume and nobody recognize him. Jimmy makes some very good photos of him and still nobody recognize him. And after Clark comes back to Daily Planet wearing glasses, nobody even asks him about it. It was just stupid even for a comics book.