1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

iPad reviews?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nuhuh, Nov 25, 2010.

1. Nuhuh

Nuhuh Dastardly Shadow Admin Retired Staff

hola gang,

I'm thinking about buying an iPad with a compact keyboard for my class note-taking purposes.

Besides that I just want to browse on it a little, play some music while I write.

Have any of you used the iPad, have comments on its usability, battery life, multitasking capability? (apparently an OS update lets you multi task now.

2. Link

Link Order Member DLP Supporter

Note taking on a glass screen is really awkward - maybe do a quick sketch or something. If you want a keyboard, then a laptop is simply enough.

I've got a 12 inch Asus laptop (not a netbook) with a quad core CPU that lets me takes notes, can make photoshop or 3DS max work well enough, and most importantly isn't from Apple. Also, the notebook is quite thin (like 1" thin) and weigh 1.2kg IIRC. And the battery lasts about ~8-10 hours (can last about 12 hours if I work on Word with minimal screen luminosity and wifi off).

I've held an iPad in my hands, though I haven't really used it so I can't tell from experience though.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I have one (wifi, 64GB) and love it for very many things, however writing is not one of them. I find the mechanics of copy-pasta too clunky to be effective. It's not seamless enough to let me keep my train of thought while using a finger to highlight and drag the copy/paste bar around. I thought it'd be a temporary thing, that I'd get used to it with time and it wouldn't be a distraction, but that hasn't happened. If I want to write, my first instinct is to grab a laptop proper and hack away.

For note-taking, where you aren't striving for perfection, this may not be a problem. You will need an external keyboard, since the touch-keypad isn't practical for more than a few lines of text at a time. As an ebook reader, it's outstanding; I particularly like reading in the dark and this suits me. Web surfing is acceptable, provided you don't visit many Flash sites. Battery lifetime is entirely adequate--unlike working on a laptop, I don't find myself compulsively checking how much battery I have left.

It's light and easy to carry around. The interface is much cleaner than other touch-pads I've played with. It's not quite a general-purpose netbook replacement, though it's pretty close for those whose needs map well onto what it does well.

4. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

I have one for about 4 months? now, and aside from the subscriptions from Star Wars clone wars and a few newspapers, I mostly use it to read online comics and ebooks.

I don't get why you have to buy a separate keyboard, since I found fairly easy to use. (Never tried to use it on note taking though)

The battery life depends on usage of course, but I had used it for eight hours straight playing fighter plane/ watched a few episodes of clone wars before it got below 20 percent, with sound.

I suggest lowering the brightness to the second to the lowest setting, since I found it hurts the eyes after extensive use - even more than my laptop. I suggest you get earphones for it too whenever you travel, since the Ipad's speaker's aren't that good, except maybe when you're indoors and there's no noise.

I found no lag in any of the programs I used in the ipad, it's all very smooth, despite closing programs and using new ones in rapid succession.

I strongly suggest you get an Ipad case if you decide to get one, one that could be used to prop up the ipad if you're watching a movie in it.

[​IMG]

(The case I have looks similar to this)

Picture quality is superb when I'm viewing albums.

The problems I had with Ipad, is whenever I travel to an area without a wifi connection. You can still view off line pages, but aside from bluetooth, there's no usb port that I can use to store up or change files and I had to buy an adaptor.

5. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

We use them at work for remote note taking/monitor/checklisting what we have completed. I fucking hate iPads and they're pretty useless unless you jailbreak them and get flash to working, along with other multitasking tools.

The keyboard is terrible, and getting a compact one defeats the whole purpose of having an iPad. If you really wanted, you should just get a netbook or something small like that one dude suggested. I wouldn't listen to Pers, cause while he works on super computers, and is a super-hero by night, he's a consumer whore like everyone else. Get something that you're going to have an easy time using.

6. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

That.

My Not-Boss has one, and while he is insisting there isn't anything better than that, the moment he needs to write texts he switches to his macbook.

I just use my simple, lightweight, 8 hour long battery netbook. I open it and within 45 seconds I am able to write and surf. I close it and it shuts down on its own. I have an Apache Webserver running on it (for downloaded mangas and other stuff), MS-Office and that's all I need, and all that is not running on an iPad.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2010
  7. Shezza

Shezza Renegade 4 Life DLP Supporter

I hate them...

That said, the latest OS patch for the iPad was supposed to be enable multitasking and a bucketload of other cool things.

Seriously though, can't we convince you to get a nice ASUS netbook or wait out for the HP slate?

8. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

I use an iPad for client presentations, since it controls KeyNote pretty nicely. It's also nice for letting clients feel like they have a hands-on part in the building of their website, since OmniGraffle lets them play Note-taking is easy if you have a wireless keyboard.

As for it being a toy...meh. I've integrated it into my day-to-day fairly seamlessly. It helps that I didn't have to pay for it either, but I wouldn't be as adverse to buying one as I was when they first came out. That said, it's effectively kept me from buying any sort of netbook, as I can get a laptop for barely $100 more than a netbook nowadays.

To answer you directly, Nuhuh, I would say "go for it."

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  9. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
  10. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

11. Seratin

Seratin Proudmander –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Whoa. Srs racism up in that thar blog.

12. Militis

Militis Supreme Mugwump

13. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

1. I hate that fucking song.
    2. I bet they could've done an epic cover of Wham's "Last Christmas" with iPads and iPhones.
    3. I really hate "Feliz Navidad."

14. Oz

Oz For Zombie. Moderator DLP Supporter

Wow, those guys are so trendy.

*slams head against the desk as hard as I can*

15. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Back on topic: how hot do iPads run if you use them for a couple of hours?

16. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

A bit warm, after I played a two hour movie on it, but not as hot like how those old macbooks and laptops burning your thighs after an hour.

17. Oz

I messed around on one today for about half an hour, and my review is this:

It's an iPod Touch built for someone like Hagrid. Cool gadget, but no way I could see myself taking notes on the thing in class or the like all day.

Coincidentally, I found an iPod Touch on the ground just outside the shop. Found a pic of the guy who owned it in the thing and looked around for him, but no dice. Now I have a new iPod. :awesome

18. Blaise

Blaise Golden Patronus

You could've go into the mail app and dropped
    him a note, if you were really intent in giving it back.

Just sayin'.

19. Oz

/didn't know it had a mail app
    /has formatted already
    /is enjoying his iPod Touch. :3

* JBlaise (JBlaise@dlp-AB4C0191.wdc2.dsl.speakeasy.net) has joined #darklordpotter
    <JBlaise> o/
    <JBlaise> \o
    <JBlaise> \o/
    <Blue> o/
    <Clepsydra> JBlaise: I got a free iPod Touch :D
    <JBlaise> Lol no
    <Blue> He stole it from a Ruski.
    <JBlaise> You just stole an iPod touch
    <Shuujaku> o___o
    <Shuujaku> He just obtained an ipod touch.
    <JBlaise> Again, noooo
    <JBlaise> He stole it the moment he found out who the owner was
    <Blue> That women he stalks?
    <JBlaise> ...?
    <Clepsydra> I hardly found out
    <JBlaise> Oz doesn't stalk no wimminz
    <Clepsydra> I know what the ude looks like but that;'s it :p
    <Shuujaku> lol but you do know, Oz?
    <Clepsydra> Blue...
    <JBlaise> Clepsydra: Mail app
    <Clepsydra> ... mail app?
    <JBlaise> Yes
    <JBlaise> the little icon with an envelope
    <Clepsydra> it's an iTouch not an iPhone. o_O
    <Clepsydra> ... lol
    <JBlaise> It can still get mail, derpsauce
    <Clepsydra> well it's been formatted now...
    <Clepsydra> xfd
    <JBlaise> qed: you stole it
    <JBlaise> lol
    <Blue> No, in all seriousness that woman you said was like so many miles north of you and you were going to cycle to her.
    <JBlaise> He's a dumbass for losing it, but you still stole it
    <JBlaise> Blue: ...
    <JBlaise> LOL
    <JBlaise> Evanna Lynch ?
    <JBlaise> you 'tard
    <Clepsydra> Blue: ... Evanna Lynch?
    <Clepsydra> You tard
    <Clepsydra> ...
    <Clepsydra> WTF
    <JBlaise> XD
    <Clepsydra> BLAISe
    <JBlaise> HAHA
    <Clepsydra> STEALING MY MIND
    <Red> ...
    <JBlaise> I STOLE IT
    <Clepsydra> BEFORE I EVEN THINNK THE THOUGHTS
    <JBlaise> IN YOUR FUCKING HEAD
    <Clepsydra> WTF
    <+Jangel> Snoop Dog accidentally spills some hot butternut reduction sauce on T Pain’s arm eliciting a loud, auto-tuned scream. Which of the following would decrease T Pain’s perception of pain?
    <+Jangel> I lol'd.
    <Clepsydra> BUCKETS!
    <Blue> You got a black man in your head o_O
    <+Jangel> HOT BUTTERNUT REDUCTION
    <JBlaise> Foodie fag
    <JBlaise> Using foodie terms
    <JBlaise> furealz
    * Veri has quit (Ping timeout)
    <JBlaise> But yeah - Oz
    <JBlaise> Strong thievery.

20. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter