1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Hurricane Suite by The Pro - T - Naruto

Discussion in 'Naruto' started by RustyRed, Nov 30, 2010.

1. RustyRed

RustyRed High Inquisitor

Title: Hurricane Suite
    Author: Inert aka Dr. Snakes aka The Pro formerly known as "The Six Paths of Creation"
    Rating: T
    Genre: Adventure
    DLP Category: Alternate Universe
    Pairing: none so far
    Chapters: 12
    Words: 90k
    Updated: July 16, 2016
    Published: March 9, 2010
    Summary: An average orphan in the village of Konoha, Uzumaki Naruto grew up with lofty goals and the single mindedness to reach them. He climbed his way to power with guts, determination, and the instinct of a born fighter. He wouldn't have it any other way. AU.
    Link: FFN

So this is basically an AU where Naruto didn't have the Kyuubi sealed into him, and has to rely on his own abilities to succeed. It's 8 chapters in at the moment. It's only real detractor, in my opinion, is that it starts off with a Naruto who is a little bit... I don't want to say 'robotic' but definitely more subdued than his canon counterpart.

But things quickly pick up from there, and this story does some things that I've never read in another Naruto fanfic. Without giving too much away, one of the most intriguing divergences, on what would be the very first page, asks the question of what would happen if Kakashi had failed Naruto's first genin team.

Aaand it basically gets more awesome from there. The fights are handled especially well, and Naruto is still 'special' enough to be interesting without the kyuubi. Really entertaining stuff so far.

edit: Whoops, haha, sorry about the link. :p

Checked by Minion, October 7, 2015

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2016
  2. Calis Clayr

Calis Clayr Seventh Year

One of the smallest countries in the world
    This, especially in the latest chapter. The teamwork aspects and the sheer number of possibillities in a fight between shinobi are superbly done.

3. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Might want to fix the link a little bit.

4. azrael

azrael Professor

Agreed, I've been following this and I like what's there so far. I think it's a refreshing change from the majority of Naruto fics (and from the manga itself). For the most part, the author does a good job of introducing the changes he has made to canon, and it's pretty sound technically. Parts of the plot are a bit hard to swallow, such as
    the direct-to-chuunin program for people failed by jonin senseis, and the friendship between the Third Hokage and Danzo.
    Otherwise, I think it's really good. 4/5

5. Onii

Onii Slug Club Member

Very good read 4/5 for me atm, lets see where he takes it though.

6. Shouldabeenadog

Shouldabeenadog Death Eater

Very engrossing. One the one hand I loved seeing this side of Naruto, this side of the politics. On the other hand, it feels weird to be reading about the peripheral events; to not be involved in the middle of the canon "main action." Not bad, just weird.

4/5

7. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Definitely an excellent rec. The premise is interesting and the story has been engrossing so far. Gritty and, for a martial world, very realistic. 5/5

The author's other Naruto story is also promising, but it was just 2 chapters in last I checked. Too early to put up for review but worth keeping an eye on.

8. Kang

Kang Denarii Host DLP Supporter

Been following this since chapter 2 - its fucking amazing. I love the premise and I love how they are carrying it out.

5/5

9. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

It's a good story. Naruto is handled well, the characterisations of most of the characters are great, and despite the somewhat stilted dialogue at times, it doesn't bring down the story that much. My only question is, where's the conflict? Naruto trains, does missions and trains some more, and becomes ANBU.

But the tasty shadow war that could have been built from a Sand-Sound-Leaf war wasn't used to its full potential before the attack, instead giving us an Earth-Grass-Waterfall problem. Now it's good, but it just doesn't seem that urgent. Mizuki's extended-canon status as a spy for Orochimaru isn't shown here, which is a shame because I think it really could have fleshed out their relationship so far. He seems to have fallen by the way-side for now, and I guess we'll have to wait for more updates to see his situation.

So for now, a 4/5, eagerly awaiting more updates to see a 5/5.

10. Kari Black

Kari Black DA Member

I needed a good Naruto read today, and DLP comes through again. I thought it was very good. I do agree that the whole Mizuki (and the sand-sound-leaf) situation was way downplayed; I thought that was a little odd. Sometimes the flow of the larger storyline comes off as a little choppy to me. Hopefully, that'll get better as he goes. Nonetheless, 4/5 for a damn good read.

11. Grubdubdub

Grubdubdub Supreme Mugwump

This is a great rec. The premise is refreshing as the author doesn't make Naruto special in any way and doesn't make excuses for him - he is good because he practices, that's it. Most fics that go this route tend to give Naruto a bloodline or some sort of mastery with no justification, so it's refreshing.

The battles, as mentioned, are wonderfully choreographed, and show very well the versatility of Ninja and their might, while being realistic and not exaggerated and overbearing.

The OC's are fleshed out and don't bother me at all, which is unusual.

While the plot hasn't taken every direction I would have liked it to (as mentioned by others), it's interesting enough and offers a fresher look on the political world of Ninjas than most fics do.

My biggest problem with this story is the focus on battles. While they are great, I feel like character-development is often neglected in favor of battle scenes - and dialogue is much too rare.

All considered though, this is a very enjoyable read that manages to stand out, even if it's not the best thing since sliced bread. 4/5 for now.

12. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

This is Awesome. My only fear is that it'll get stuck in the mediocrity. Then again I think its a bit unfounded since even without HOLYSHITPOWERS!Naruto he still kicks ass.
    5/5

13. purple

purple Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

It does seem a little too action orientated, but the action is well written enough that it doesn't change the fact that this is a very good story. My favorite parts always seem to be the ones where he's interacting with other people outside of combat, those just seem to resonate with me better than the actions. 4/5 for now.

14. Lion

Lion Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This is one of the better Naruto fics I've read. It doesn't have Naruto spamming around jutsu and it doesn't make Naruto special in anyway. 5/5

15. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Eh.... I'm more than a little underwhelmed by this story. I liked the characterization of the chunin squad, and I liked the fights (very well done!), but I think I 've finally found the most boring characterization of Naruto that I've ever had the misfortune to read. If you just changed his name, he'd lose any real definition as a character. He doesn't fee like a person; he's just a skill set and a uniform. I think that the author has gotten a little too wrapped up in the idea that Naruto "isn't unique". I also think the author could use a better outline, which may help with the choppiness and awkward timeskips.

I give it a tentative 3/5, with potential to bring it to 4/5 if the author does something to differentiate his Naruto's personality from the rest of the faceless mooks in his story.

@darklordcuddles: :facepalm You fail. Naruto is in ANBU ROOT black ops by, what? 12? 13? This is just another Super!Naruto story with the pretend twist that Naruto doesn't have any special abilities except being a Determinator.

16. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

I liked it well enough. His update rate is rather slow though.

Another thing is that he doesn't do detail. Like, at all. There are so many time skips it's hard to keep track of them -- I didn't realize the Chuunin exams had already started until he was ordered to go into the Forest of Death. I might have missed a mention of it, but that seems like something important to say, as it involves the entire village.

The lack of detail is actually refreshing most of the time, it allows the story to move just that much faster. However, there's a balance that should be kept, when the author should detail something rather than just ignoring it or saving it for later in a random paragraph. Like the Mizuki incident, for example. It ended abruptly on Naruto and Mizuki getting ready to fight each other. Normally that would be fine, but in the next scene he doesn't begin with the aftermath of the battle. The author moves directly into a new arc of the story. Only after a few paragraphs do we get the information we're wondering about, that Naruto beat Mizuki and put him in jail.

17. Magus

Magus Groundskeeper

I have to say I was quite dissapointed in this considering how highly praised it was. The main character might as well not be Naruto, though this seems to happen to many of the other characters the author writes. The various Naruto cast-members feel like strangers and considering how padded out with OC's they story is I found it interminably dull.

Well written but dull.

18. ketz3r

ketz3r Second Year

Update.

The action is still awesome but I'm beginning to agree with magus. It's getting dull.

19. Rahkesh Asmodaeus

Rahkesh Asmodaeus THUNDAH Bawd Admin DLP Supporter

Meh. You guys are complaining about that, but why? You're on DLP, we mostly hate canon Harry. That's why a lot of our stories reflect that, and we make Harry stronger, smarter, or just more awesome.

I'm just looking at this story as a what if. What if Naruto didn't get limitless amounts of energy? What if Naruto wasn't hated by everybody and feel the need to be acknowledged? He might have been a very different person. This is the person he might've become.

But I can see your point. What the author should have done in the beginning was try to explain why Naruto was so different from his canon counterpart, somehow.

20. Celestin

Celestin Dimensional Trunk

This. I'm all for AU personalities, but if you start changing everything about character you risk making him completely unrecognizable from his canon counterpart and that's just one step from creating OC (and that one step is changing name of that character).

As for fic, I like it, but it's lacking something. Not sure what exactly. I'd give it 3.5/5 rounded to 4/5.