1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Winter 2010/2011 Anime Season

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Dark Minion, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

And here is the Chart: http://thecartdriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/Winter-v3.jpg

Mirai Nikki only gets one OVA as some kind of 'pilot' episode, listed for December 9

Beelzebub starts on January 9, Wolverine is listed for January 7 (US release).

Also January 7 the third episode of Black Lagoon - Robertas Blood Trail will be released.

And, of course, Febuary 2:
    Kara no Kyoukai - Shuushou
    - the finally final chapter of Kara no Kyoukai.

There are a few more I'll give a try, but half of the animes this season seem to be fanservice.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  2. KaiDASH

KaiDASH Auror DLP Supporter

I'll probably be watching Beezlebub, Madoka Magica, Dream Eater and Mitsudomoe.

Gosick and Starry Sky I'll watch if the initial reviews are favorable.

3. Phantom of the Library

Phantom of the Library Unspeakable

Wow, I literally have almost no interest in watching any of those.

I'll probably watch Kimi ni Todoke. I actually haven't finished the first season, but I liked the show enough.

Also, totally did not know that Wolverine and Supernatural were being made into an anime.

Sadly, they will be terrible. Iron Man pretty much set the standard for how bad they're likely to be.

This actually made me think about Harry Potter as an anime. It was discussed in another thread and I thought to myself, "Meh, couldn't be that bad. I'd probably watch it."

Then I realised it would be made by Japan.

Hogwarts would be in Japan. Incantations would be in Japanese. Dumbledore would be an old pervent, modeled after Master Roshi. Hermione would likely smash everyone with a gargantuan hammer and Ron would eat retarded amounts of food and it would be oh so hilarious. :facepalm

Anyway, /offtopic.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  4. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Hey cool, Freezing.

... But any happiness I have with this chart was instantly destroyed when I saw:

"Mahiro Yasaka is chased by aliens one night until Nyarlathotep saves him. "Nyarlko" is a formless Cthulhu deity who can take on the shape of anyone it wishes, but particularly the shape of a silver-haired girl."

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

5. Phantom of the Library

Yeah, I'm not even that big of a Lovecraft fan and I thought, "God fucking damn it, is nothing sacred?"

6. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Harry Potter in Japanese was basically Zero no Tsukaima. I definitely got a Harry Potter vibe from the whole magic school portrayed there. Well, a Harry Potter who's England is in the middle of a World War. And he flies a WW2 plane against Dragons and stuff. And wields a magical sword.

Man, I need to watch that series again.

7. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Beelzebub is the only one that I'll watch since I've been following the manga for quite a while. Everything else looks absolutely retarded.

8. Rehio

Rehio Bad Dragon ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Meh. I'll watch the first couple episodes of everything before I write them off.

Even Cthulhu. l;jasdflsjdflsdl;fj. Every time I think of it I take SAN damage.

FUCK. I HATE YOU JAPAN.

9. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yeah. I facepalmed hard over that. I mean what the hell. Originally I was thinking "Ohay. New horror anime..." Then I looked into it.

..What? Did you not see Tailenders? It has a T-rex. On roller blades!

You ... didn't know about Supernatural? We've been bitching about it for fucking ages in the Movie/TV section...

As for Iron Man and Wolverine... yeah fuck that shit hard. IM Anime was just so fucking ... no. And the character design just looks god awful. Like someone thought it would be a good idea to give Nick Simmons a job drawing anime because of his failed comic/manga...

SHUT UP, YOU FOOL! ONE OF THEM WILL HEAR YOU AND THEN WE WILL HAVE TO KILL YOU FOR INSPIRING THEM!!!

But seriously... Not looking forward to a lot... Kara no Kyoukai - Shuushou, Black Lagoon, and (surprisingly enough that I am a fan of it) Ah! My Goddess. Tailenders might be interesting though.

But seriously, wtf. >_>

-04:53:58- (&Vash) I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother!
    -04:54:04- (&Vash) ... what the hell is this shit?

or worse... Dragon Crisis:

Seriously? His Second Cousin? I get attempting new an original things, Japan, but second cousin?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  10. Phantom of the Library

I've been avoiding the Supernatural thread for ages, since I'm still only half way through season 5 and didn't want spoilers.

/behind the times. lol

Might have to check out the dinosaur on rollerskates, at least for the novelty.

But for now I must drag my ass to work. :facepalm

11. Jibril

Jibril Headmaster

[​IMG]
    Demonbane all over again! Die! Die in a fire!
    --- --- ---
    The Supernatural OVA may be good. Will keep watch on the Wolverine anime. I wonder how the Japanese raped that.

12. Phantom of the Library

Semi necro. First episodes just aired for a few shows recently.

Personal pet peeve time. I can't stand when they just toss in an explainer for back story in anime. I was watching the first episode of Infinite Stratos (seems terrible) and they decided that the best way to introduce the 'childhood friend' character was to simply have the protagonist think to himself, "Oh, blahblah (some fucking Japanese name I didn't bother remembering) is acting so cold after not having seen each other for six years. Is that any way to treat a childhood friend?"

Seriously? This is by far the laziest way to introduce back story. Or, as nearly everyone puts it, telling as opposed to showing. I mean, you have, at minimum, twelve episodes to tell your story, half of which will be pointless filler. They really don't need to save time by glossing over this.

For me, this really just drives the point home that anime is created by artists and marketing teams, not writers, which really is a shame.

Anyway, as for the actual show, it is predictably bad. I won't bother explaining what was clearly going to make it bad (super harem, pseudo-mechs, etc) but rather the fact that it fails at being even what should have made it somewhat redeemable.

There is no war. Apparently, the suits have been banned from use in wars for no fucking reason due to the "Alaska Agreement." Instead, they're used in entirely pointless competitions that somehow prove how awesome your country is (that and cooking competitions.)

On top of that, the show also just doesn't make sense at times. Turns out that the protagonists older sister (who is his homeroom teacher :facepalm) is some uber awesome champion that disappeared after winning some kind of competition. Fine, whatever. I'll accept that, as her little brother, he might not know what's going on with her life at all times.

Except five seconds after he says that she disappeared, every student in the room goes into rabid fangirl mode, saying that she was the entire reason that they joined the academy.

Really? That's 'disappearing?' Last I checked, if hordes of girls are stalking your place of employment, your location isn't exactly unknown. The fact that she was working as a teacher shouldn't have surprised him.

As is, this is simply going to be a super-harem romcom, with occasional symbolic battles between lovers in shitty CG suits.

/rant off.