1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Starcraft

Discussion in 'Story Search' started by ASmallBundleOfToothpicks, Dec 17, 2010.

1. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

Has anyone ever read any decent Starcraft fan fiction? I'm interested in just about anything anyone can mention that's well written.

2. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Check our "Other Fandoms WBA" Rymrock I thin it is, is writing one.

3. Ceebee

Ceebee High Inquisitor

Pretty sure there is no good StarCraft fanfiction. The best stuff you'll find if you're looking for stories within the SC universe would be the various official licensed novels that are out and about.

I remember reading http://www.fanfiction.net/s/69279/1/The_Man_Who_Was_a_Dark_Templar a very long time ago, and thought it was reasonably well written, but that was like 8-9+ years ago, so I may have just been impressed because I didn't know better. It's 50k~ words, very much abandoned and about a OC Terran kid with Psionic powers who ends up raised by a couple of DTs, its about his life and how he's going at fitting back into Terran society.

Pretty sure the OC is a self-insert Sue, but I liked it way back when, and a quick look over it now looks like its written reasonably well.

On another note, SC fiction is pretty hit or miss, because Starcraft, as an RTS it is nothing about personal power. If you were writing realistic fanfiction it would probably start with "Random Marine#74 walked out of the Barracks" and end with "and died to a siege tank shell to the face, which ripped through his power armour and turned him into a bloody vapour with a few random chunks and limbs strewn around."

So goodluck on your search, and post if you find anything interesting!

4. Delirium

Delirium Fourth Year

"A Hydralisk named Bane" if I remember correctly was pretty awesome and pretty damn long.

5. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

I'm a StarCraft fan myself. I don't like the direction the series has taken in the lead up to StarCraft II, though: it just feels like Blizzard is "doing a WoW" (see canon retractions, storyline retractions, plot-line elements etc) on the StarCraft universe like they did with the WarCraft universe. (And it's obvious to how big of a fuck-up that is/was!)

Not sure if it's the same fic' as the one that Ellisandre mentioned, but there IS a Harry Potter/StarCraft crossover out there called "13th Stepping Stone." Updates are a little slow, but it's a good read and although it's a dramatic divergence, it still closely follows the StarCraft timeline/canon.

6. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

Well, so far Rymrock's 13th Stepping is the best of a bad lot. Link is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/5604127/1/13th_Stepping

I'd rate this story at a solid 4/5. Good characterizations, strong style, minimal grammatical errors, few typos, etc. etc. The execution is fine, but the concept is a little shaky. What I did find out was that Harry Potter, as a character, does not work well with the Starcraft Universe. However, I really must commend Rymrock on the most credible Arcturus Mengsk I've read to date.

From Rymrock's favorites, I found this: StarCraft: Brain Damage- Link here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4344577/1/StarCraft_Brain_Damage

I'm only about 20 chapters in (of over 100 chapters!), and they are short, but moderately well written. So far it feels extremely fanfiction-y, with transplanted characters from Evangelion, semi-crackish characterizations of the Queen of Blades and the Protoss, and lots of jokey violence. It's part of a larger series which includes Brainstorm and Brain Damage. I'm not comfortable rating this, as it is painfully clear that this is a story written by an author just learning how to write coherent stories. That said it is amusing in a crackish way. From where I am now, I'd put this at a 2.5/5, rounding up to 3/5 for the author's persistence and tendency to actually finish what he starts.

The Man Who Was a Dark Templar- Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/69279/1/The_bMan_b_bWho_b_Was_ba_b_bDark_b_Templar

Eh... I couldn't get passed the absolutely abysmal characterization of the Dark Templar. The ghost for a mom I could buy. The escape, while a little thin, was almost believable, but the protoss felt like they were cut out of construction paper. They didn't even possess the depth of cardboard. I will grant you that Starcraft's characterization of the Protoss race in general is a little flat, but this was actually painful. 2/5 for excellent grammar and solid style, but thank Satan this is the only story Super_Loki wrote.

A Hydralisk Named Bane - Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2169320/3/A_Hydralisk_Named_Bane_The_Bane_Series

The premise is just too ridiculous for me to even continue read beyond the third chapter: A psychic hydralisk Mary-Sue named Bane finds itself allied to a chatty, Naruto-esque Ghost named Charley, and they must break out of a Protoss Carrier. They soon find themselves in the middle of Zerg offensive on Tarsonis. The Terran then take Charley's word that Bane isn't dangerous (when both Charley and Bane should have been gunned down) and proceed to feed the hydralisk cheeseburgers. Now, not only are Hydralisks bred from an herbivorous species... but there are just piles and piles of gaping plot holes throughout the piece, in just three chapters, deadfast has managed to completely fail at plotting a story. However, it is moderately well written, with decent grammar, and slightly clunky style. 2/5

Starcraft: The Path to Char- Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6185323/1/Starcraft_The_Path_to_Char

I think this is a troll, but it is a surprisingly well written story up until the author seems to have a wonderful trip on PCP. 3/5 for enjoyably awkward Crack-fic.

Starcraft: Ghosts of the Past- Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6179866/1/StarCraft_Ghosts_of_the_Past

The first decent One-shot I found. Well written, except for a few typos and a rather predictable ending, this is a good example of a solid One-Shot idea. 3.5/5, right on the money. Angsty, a little whiny, but fairly well handled.

Some fiction I found that has passed the mark of Unreadability.

Next Steps by Qwerty-Man
    Naruto of the Shadowed Blade by VFSnake

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  7. Mercenary

Mercenary Snake Eater

A Hydralisk Named Bane

That is some OLD fiction. Like HP and the philosopher's stone old.

I read it when it was first starting out and I liked it but this was YEARS ago.

8. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

It seems like a lot of the enjoyable fiction is fairly old in the Starcraft fandom. There hasn't really been a piece of work that just pushed everyone to write better, sort of like Team 8 and Foxhound in the Naruto fandom.

9. Rym

Rym Auror

I feel obligated to say that this fic improves dramatically as it progresses. I skipped ahead and started with the last story (Brain Dead) and damn, his ability to write makes me jealous. It's honestly some of the best writing technically that I've ever seen in fan fiction (and the storyline is awesome to boot).

Whereas the first two stories in the series might be 2-3/5, Brain Dead is a clear 5/5 from me.

As for my own story, I'm happy to say that after a decent length hiatus and the most intense academic semester of my life, I'm now back at it.

10. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

Good to hear! I eagerly await the next chapter! Also I must agree with you on the Brain X series. Even in the first story, it's readily apparent that the author is growing some serious skills. Where he starts from, technically, and where he ends up is an entirely different beast. I'm through the first 40 chapters, and I'm really beginning to enjoy Brain Damage. It's the big reason I wasn't very comfortable with the rating I gave it. So for future readers of Brain Damage by Toasterman, the first 15 chapters are almost complete fail, then it begins to get better, until it actually becomes a really solid story.

Rymrock, have you read any of the rest of the series?

11. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I had such high hopes for that fic when it first came out. Then the author proved that he didn't really have the skills to write a competent Kerrigan. Plus making Nova the estranged daughter of Mengsk was just lame.

Another fic to avoid is Naruto of the Shadowed Blade. I foolishly clicked on it before looking at the author - and while he writes interesting summaries, his stories suffer from poor grammar, and poor characterization (excessive and pointless bashing). I loathe VFSnake and his stories.

12. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

Thank you for reminding me; I'd happily repressed the memory of that story.:rolleyes:

I didn't get through the third paragraph before I had to X the window and rest my abused eyes. I'll edit that onto the list.