1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Computer Building Things!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Ched, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Hey guys, so, I'm going to try to build a Desktop. I have no experience at this whatsoever, and honestly I'm not even sure I've ever even looked inside one before.

It shall be an adventure.

I'm running all of this by a few friends of mine as well as posting here to get their input, but you all seem to be very computer savvy so I figured why not post here?

I'm also posting on HardForum for advice and discussion, but since no one over there knows me I'm not sure how well that will go.

I have a lot of work to do also to actually finalize parts selection. As you'll see in a second I'm in the very early stages of figuring things out.

Processor -- This is the part I'm having the most trouble with. I can get a brand-spanking-new i7-2600 for $300 on Newegg, which is only $20 more than the i7-870 someone had suggested, so that seems like a great deal. But it might be overkill and I might find myself wanting a new computer before it maxes out, so I don't know what to do. There are some QuadCore Xeon's available on Newegg for prices in the $200 range (as is the new i5-2500 which scores crazy high on the performance charts), but despite reading and looking I am still at a loss. Hopefully someone can convince me of something! Hyperthreading is a "future proof" option that it seems wise to invest in at least given that I don't know what kinds of software I might want run in a few years.

Motherboard -- (1) How much would you spend on one and (2) how many of all these slots do I want to have to make sure I have room to expand and add things later? I am concerned about getting one that is too small and wanting to add something to the computer and not being able to do so. As for which one I get, well, I need to pick a processor first. The two primary form factors seem to be ATX and MicroATX, but I'm not sure why you buy a smaller one for a Desktop that was fewer ports? At least most seem to have 2x USB 3.0 ports. Any particular brands you like/hate?

Graphics Card
    -- Leaning towards the Radeon 5700 for $130. If I want to spend a bit more I could get a Radeon 6850 or a Geforce GTX 460 for around $200. I'm just not sure -- I do want to play games other than WoW (like Dragon Age and Starcraft II) and have room for future games, but this if this is a part I'll upgrade in 2 years will I even notice a big difference then? I don't think any Chemistry Software I'll be running while doing a Postdoc will require anything worse than these games do, and if it does by some chance I can always upgrade.

Power Supply
    -- Found lots of these. Assuming I want "room to grow" for later upgrades, how much should I get? I was looking at these two 650W ones for now. The Antec is cheaper but I have read better reviews about the slightly most expensive Corsair.

Case -- I found several at around $50 that the good people of the interwebs seem to be strongly advocating (Antecs and Cooler Masters mostly) but I haven't looked into this too seriously yet. I want something with plenty of room inside and good airflow though, I've had too many issues in the past with overheating to want to worry about it with a Desktop. Is there anything I need to know about picking a case other than to make sure my chosen motherboard size can fit inside it? I don't need to check for extra holes or anything do I? And it seems like half the things have "room" for fans but don't come fully loaded with them?

RAM
    -- Someone explained Dual vs. Tri-Channel RAM to me and said that Tri-Channel probably wasn't worth it yet given the extra motherboard costs, is that about right? Any particular brand of memory you'd recommend like Corsair? It looks like I can get 2x4GB for around $100 and 2x2GB is half that, so either way I should be good on cost so long as I have extra slots on the Motherboard for more I guess. But if I get 2x4GB maybe extra slots aren't really needed because I won't need more than 8GB even in a few years? What about speed -- I know that faster (1600) is likely to be superior to the slower (1333 or 1066) speed, but for optimal performance are you supposed to match this speed to something? The Front Side Bus or the MoBo or ?

Hard Drive -- I want to get something with good performance, obviously, and that will work with the 6GB/s SATA thingy that all the motherboards are bragging about having. That is, unless I'm wrong about that connection being related to Hard Drives, but I think it is. I also want room to add a SSD in a year or two if I decide I want one (or get one for Christmas). Do I need to check something on the MoBo or elsewhere to make sure that's a valid option? Anyway, haven't worried about this too much yet either, but I'll probably stick with a brand I recognize like Western Digital or Seagate unless given another suggestion. What about 7200 rpm vs. 10k rpm? Anything else I should know?

Optical Drive -- There's plenty of them around for fairly cheap. DVD-burners are available at $25 a pop or so, and not that much more if you want it to play Blue-Ray, so it's not a major cost. However if I want to add a second optical drive later (for copying discs directly or something) is there anything I need to know to make sure I'm future proof? Also what about specs on these things, is speed or brand very important?

Operating System -- eBay is selling what appear to be valid, unopened copies of Windows 7 64bit Ultimate for under $100 so I'm going to try to pick one of those up once this I know for sure I'm going to try this.

Other -- Am I missing anything I might want or need but don't know about like a Network Card, Sound Card, Thermal Paste, Fans, etc? I'm very new to this still and despite all my reading I'm still feeling out of my depth.

Monitor -- I have one that I am using at the moment and am expecting another a gift, so this is not relevant to cost, but if I want to connect the computer to a TV later to use that as a monitor that would be a nice option to have. I just don't know what port I need for that to make sure I have one. Speaking of -- a lot of these graphics cards say that they can show resolution at 2500x1600 or something, is there a way to get an LCD/LED monitor rated at 1920x1080 to show that?

TOTAL: $750-$1000+ (not including the OS, which is within my range. I'd prefer to keep it to $900 though, as that's about what I won in November)

Any commentary is very welcome. Thanks much!

2. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

3. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    On the topic of the PSU, I'd really recommend getting a modular one. Basically that means that you have the PSU unit with a load of sockets in it and a selection of cables. You plug the cables in to the PSU and components as needed. It really does make cable management so much better inside the case. Tucked away cables are good because they don't block the air flow.

With regards to the case, I would recommend not skimping. It's easy to focus on the more technical hardware but a good case is, I think, surprisingly important. Again, this is for heat management reasons. As you're running all those high end components (though the i5 and i7 run pretty cool) you're going to want a case with several fans, plus it's good to have one made from a good quality metal, which acts as a heat sink.

For motherboard I'd definitely recommend ATX over micro. When constructing the computer it can be a bitch to find that you're missing a pin from the header, or that the PCI slots are really close together, etc. Unless you have space issues and need a small computer, I'd definitely go larger (which in turn forces you to get a larger case).

6GB to 8GB of RAM is good. 4GB seems a bit small to me.

You might want to look in to getting an SSD drive for your OS, and a regular HDD for storage. Using a SSD for storage is a bit of a waste.

As you say, motherboard depends on your other choices. Just make really sure that the motherboard you're getting is compatible with all of your components. Also, as the video on the Newegg page you linked explains, depending on what chipset you combine with which processor you get different capabilities. From the sounds of it you'd want to go with a P chipset, which is the one which supports a graphics card.

4. Finicky

Finicky First Year

I definitely agree on the modular power supply. 650 watts should be fine for what you're talking about.

You should probably choose a cpu first, and that will lead you to a motherboard. If you're looking at intel, skip the 1366 socket since it is generally more expensive, so that would mean socket 1156 or 1155. The 1155 is the one that just came out. If you want the newest stuff, the i5 2500k is supposed to overclock very easily to high speeds. For high overclocks, you should look for a beefy cpu cooler. In my opinion, hyper-threading shouldn't be your primary concern, since it is hit an miss for performance improvement. I would go for a quad core cpu. (Note: The socket 1155 cpus without the "k" won't overclock much at all. You need the unlocked multiplier. All socket 1156 should be overclockable through base clock. If you don't want to oc, ignore this.)

As far as motherboards go, I personally like Gigabyte, but many of the brands are good. The best thing to do is to just check reviews. If you plan on overclocking the cpu, I would check an enthusiast website to see if they have any info on a motherboard you are looking at.

I have a 5770, and it plays WoW, Starcraft II and Mass Effect 2 very well. For the most demanding games, you would have to dial back the graphics settings. The gtx 460 will give better performance, but at a higher price. I don't recall the hd 6800 series benchmarks well enough to state an opinion. If the gtx 560 is coming out soon, it might be worthwhile to look at.

For ram, you're probably looking at dual channel, but that just means you buy two sticks (come as a pair in one package). I think 4 GB is plenty, but if you plan on doing something very memory intensive, it wouldn't cost too much more to upgrade. I would try to find some that operates at 1600 mhz. Slower might hurt performance, and faster probably won't show much improvement with the intel cpus.

For the case, the best thing to do is look for a style you like that fits the motherboard and graphics card while providing good airflow. I'm using a cooler master 690 II advance, and it has been very nice so far. It appears to be $80 on amazon. A case will usually come with fans and places to mount extra fans. I wouldn't worry about the extras unless you get high temperatures.

hard drive = 1 TB samsung spinpoint f3

For the optical drive, just go to newegg and pick one with a bunch of good reviews. Most have similar speeds, and I usually limit the speed anyway so it doesn't get loud. Adding a second drive is easy as long as you have the extra power cable, data cable, and drive bay. (Same for adding hard drives).

If you use the stock cooler, you don't have to worry about thermal paste. For a new cooler, check to see if it comes with any, and that will usually be good enough. Most motherboards have sound and networking built in. For me, those are usually adequate, so I don't know much about either of those in card form. If you want wireless internet, you can either buy a pci card, use a usb receiver, or set up a wireless router to receive a signal.

The graphics cards that I talked about all have hdmi and dvi-d outputs, so if your tv can take that, connecting is a snap. If you lcd is 1920x1080, that's its max resolution.

Advice:
    An ubuntu live boot cd is good for formatting hard drives.

When the system is up and running, use a ram test and a hd test to make sure both are operating well.

Don't fry anything with static electricity. If the air is dry, a wrist strap might be nice. Otherwise, judicial use of the technique "touching conductive metal" would probably work.

If you get a big cpu cooler and have a mATX board, put the ram in before mounting the cooler.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  5. DvorakQ

DvorakQ Seventh Year DLP Supporter

Give toms hardware forum a try, they're a super friendly group.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31-322.html

If you aren't afraid of overclocking, heres a fun AMD build you might wanna look at:
    http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/batuchka/Untitled-1581.jpg
    735 bucks + 100 for OS (after rebates 789 w/out rebates) This build is definitely more geared for the gamer with the intention of crossfiring in the future.

I took a look at viewtiful's guide and think thats a great place to start.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  6. Ched

@DvorakQ -- Thanks man. I've done a bit of looking at Tom's Hardware but haven't posted yet. Once I have things a little more nailed down I'll definitely do that.

The gaming build looks good, but I do have one question. That one, as well as most of the other gaming builds I've seen, tends to focus primarily on the GPU (spending approx $300) as opposed to the CPU.

My plans were to spend $300 on the processor in order to make sure I was future proof and simply upgrade a cheaper ($150-200) graphics card as needed.

I.e. I'm building not for the now, but for the future.

Is that a valid thought process or am I missing something? Everyone else I see seems to be doing something more like your build says to do. But if I'm really going overkill on the processor I could probably be convinced to tone it down and just build again in 3 years instead of hoping to get a processor that'll last me for 5.

Besides -- I doubt I'll be overly picky about my games. I've never gamed on anything but a laptop of some kind, usually on Low-Fair settings, and find that WoW runs "just fine" by my standards on netbooks.

@Finicky -- Good information! I'll incorporate it into my building process.

I've never used Linux (Ubuntu) outside of when it was running a computer for a NMR I was using. I'll read up on Live Boot CDs for formatting. Got any good links about that?

Wrist Strap now added to my list of things to buy. They're cheap and the peace of mind will be worth it.

@Taure -- Modular, got it. I checked that out on Wikipedia and it does appear to make things a hell of a lot more convenient.

Thanks for the other info as well. I was considering going ahead and getting an SSD anyway if my budget doesn't get stretched too far. If I wait and add one later I'd have to re-install Windows on it and that'd be a pain I expect.

@Viewtiful
    -- Thanks! Awesome guide. Very awesome.

As for as builds being for gaming, well, that's fine. Right now I'm operating on the assumption that any programs I might need to run in the future will run on a computer capable of mid-high end gaming. The only change I'm keeping in mind is that if I need to run CPU intensive programs (as opposed to GPU intensive) I want to have a nice, future-proof CPU in addition to a nice GPU, just to be safe.

Tentative Build -- Parts based on comments from DLP, 2 buddies of mine, and another forum.

Processor: Up in the air here. Supposedly the Price/Performance for the i7-2600k is vastly superior to everything else, so that's my "expensive" option.

What's the best sub-$250 option out there right now? There are a plethora of i5-processors hovering around the $200 range, including the newer ones, as well as older i7-processors. That doesn't even touch on last generation Xeon chips, which I understand are generally solid despite their age.

I can look at benchmarks here, but that doesn't tell me much about future-proofing or other aspects.

Motherboard: Assuming an i7-2600k processor, I checked out P67 and H67 motherboards and tentatively added an ASUS P8P67 to my list. It appears to have lots of ports.

If I get a more reasonably priced processor I'll pick a different Mobo, but I do think I want to stick with ATX instead of going smaller.

Graphics Card: 5770 vs. 6850 vs. GTX 460 -- Leaning strongly towards the 6850.

However I do see that the Geforce 560 is supposed to be coming out soon, as someone said, so even if it's not in my price range it might force something else to drop in price.

Not sure which brand to get -- guess I should read reviews and find one with good fans/warranty that's preferably somewhat quiet.

I'd like to get something even nicer, but I expect that anything will be impressive given my past gaming standards. To date I have never gamed on anything but a Laptop, and while my laptop is nice (Thinkpad FTW) I've always kept settings at Low-Fair for optimal performance.

Power Supply: Corsair 650TX at present. However it isn't modular. I changed from the Antec 650W because I was told that the Corsair is better because it has more amperage on the +12V rail, making it higher quality.

Corsair does offer the same PSU in Modular form for a bit more money (Looks like about $30 more) -- think it's worth it?

Case: For now leaning towards the Haf 912 unless I hear other cases recommended. I'm not set on this one by any means, but it has good reviews from what I've seen so far.

Memory: Tentatively 2x4GB Ripjaws but I might go up to 1600 instead of 1333 if this build doesn't get too expensive.

I think the FSB or whatever of the processor is 1333, so unless I overclock it's going to cap out there anyway, right?

Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint F3 looks like a brilliant recommendation. Definitely getting one.

I'm strongly considering going ahead and getting an SSD for this build instead of adding one later. Apparently if you want to run your OS off of the SSD it can be a pain to re-install/transfer it from one Hard Drive to another. How big is Windows 7 these days? I'm guessing I'd want a 64GB drive, if not more, so I have room for other programs as well.

Any suggestions? Tentatively looking at a Crucial 64GB. Adding an extra $120+ for this may or may not happen though, depending on my final build -- this is purely in the land of "Oh, wouldn't it be nice if..." My Mobo did have a 6Gb/s slot though, so I picked one that could take advantage of it.

Thanks again guys! Am I missing anything obvious here?

7. DvorakQ

I'm not exactly certain how processor heavy your chem programs are gonna be, but for most users that plan on gaming too, GPU's are where the bottlenecks occur. Future-proofing... meh.

cpu: methinks someone has their heart set on that i-7. Go for it :b its gonna be good for a decent while. I'm leery about future proofing personally. i-5 2500k (225'ish) is what I would buy, but thats because I care more about the now and would like to spend more on gpus. (I think its because I always get penis envy when new stuff comes out so i tend to rebuild in 2.5 year cycles on avg)

hd: SSD's are still in the early adopter phase. srsly, just wait a year or so if you're actually serious about keeping stuff within a budget :)

ram: Do you really need 8 gigs? w7 chomps much more efficiently than vista. 4 gb should definitely suffice and you can always buy more later.

8. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

On the subject of cases I have a HAF 932 and it's awesome. From what I've read the entire line is pretty solid, so 912 is probably among the best in its price range.

A 6850 is a very nice card, and looking at benchmarks it scales incredibly well when crossfired with another 6850, much more so than the 5XXX series, so there's definite upgrade option later on there. A 6950 might be beyond your budget, but it's worth noting that you can flash the BIOS on it to make it a 6970 very easily.

9. Ched

I don't think they're that heavy now, honestly, at least not bad enough to justify the i7-2600k. But I am hoping to use this for 5 years, and 5 years from now I think the processor might be able to still run things that other current ones would struggle with.

I haven't got much of an ePeen for gaming rigs. I've literally never done gaming on a desktop, well, apart from playing Warcraft II in Junior High. I'm used to <60fps and Low Settings, so anything that will play High now and Medium later will probably amaze me.

You're the second to tell me this, so I'm probably gonna go with it. Apparently Intel and Crucial are gonna have a new wave of nicer ones coming out in a few months at reasonable cost.

Stupid Question Incoming: If I buy an SSD later, how much trouble is it to get your OS and programs transferred over to it? I mean, you can't just copy & paste Windows.

I don't really need 8GB. But it's $90 instead of $50, and someone told me (perhaps incorrectly?) that 2 sticks are better than 4 for making sure things stay efficient. So my thoughts were to go with 2x4GB instead of 2x2GB now and 2 more later.

If my budget starts hurting though I'll probably cut costs somewhere like this where an easy upgrade path is available later.

Thanks DvorakQ! Love the input.

Good to have confirmation from someone who is familiar with the brand, thanks.

Also good to know about the Crossfire option with the 6850. I think the new Mobo I selected since my first post has the option. However it would probably be 1.5-2 years before I feel the need for a GPU upgrade, and would they still be available then?

Thanks Viewtiful.

=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

Slightly Separate Subject: Monitor isn't included in the cost here because it's a gift, but I've been trying to pick something that I will be happy with.

I'd prefer greater than 1920x1080p like this Asus, but that one is rather large and the con is that it's a TN panel (which are supposedly ugly in comparison to VP and IPS). The Dell U2311 is an IPS monitor and supposedly beautiful, but since it's IPS instead of TN the response time is slow which might have adverse effects on gaming. I personally prefer the look of LED to CCFL. All the nice monitors I'd really like are outside the range of "gift giving" and I wouldn't want to spend that much on one anyway (Eizo comes to mind as a good brand, as does Benq).

So I'm left at a loss as to the best sub-$300 monitor out there. None of them combine all the goodies into one package, and I can't decide if a non-TN panel would show noticable ghosting in games. I like the Asus, but without seeing it in person I'm hesitant to purchase.

If no comments on Monitors no worries -- I have one I can use until I decide, but I am on a 2-month-ish time limit on giving it back to who I'm borrowing from.

10. Viewtiful

Viewtiful Groundskeeper

Graphics cards tend to stay on the market for a good few years as far as I'm aware. I know the 4000 series is still available to buy and they were released back in '08. Also I've got the Pro version of your board, and I know from reviews that yours has the option to crossfire too, and it's a great all-around board too. ASUS tend to make pretty kickass boards.

11. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Good advice for the most part, and I'm just going to say again that it's a total waste of time to try to "futureproof" a PC. And just for good measure: YOU CANNOT FUTURE-PROOF, don't even bother trying. Buy components that meet your needs now, with the understanding that anything you buy today will be completely outclassed by what's available in 2-3 years, whether you spent $1000 on your system or $4000.

For example, if someone tried to future-proof a gaming system three years ago, they would have bought something like a C2Q Q9650, a GeForce 7950 GX2, and DDR3 RAM (and paid a hefty premium for a MoBo to support it). A system along those specs 3 years ago would have probably run about $3000, and today it would get absolutely crushed by the $850 "Excellent" system in Viewtiful's link.

12. Ched

I was basing my "future-proofing" talk on a friend who did the following...

Intel Core 2 Quad 9650, 3.0ghz
    4gb DDR2 memory
    Intel G33 Mobo
    128mb Radeon 9600

He's upgraded the graphics card twice since 2006 (to a 256Mb and more more recently to a 1Gb) and says that that is the only thing he's changed on his machine since he built it.

The processor has apparently not yet come close to maxing out, plays WoW/SC2 on high settings, plays newer games at decent settings, and generally keeps up and is expected to continue keeping up for another year at least.

Whether or not it's blown out of the water by an $850 machine at present is kind of moot to me -- because it's still doing just fine 4+ years later and there isn't a need to upgrade. I was hoping to more or less do the same thing.

However everyone but that guys tells me that it's not possible to future-proof a machine because it will get dated too easily, so I have to consider the fact that it might be true.

But then everyone who says that also says that you can't game on a netbook (and you can in my opinion -- I've done it).

I just don't know. Maybe I should back down, pick up the i5-2500 processor for significantly cheaper, and plan on building again in 3 years. I wish I could decide, hah.

Thanks yet again for input -- it's appreciated. I don't mean to sound argumentative and apologize if I do.

13. Nukular Winter

Nukular Winter The Chosen One DLP Supporter

Considering that the i5-2500 kicks the crap out of your friend's Q9650 (for less money!), that's not a bad plan.

/Also, if you're not into high-end gaming, there's no reason why you shouldn't expect 4-5 years out of even the $850 machine. I'm still using a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 laptop for web browsing in the living room. It's about 6 years old and should be usable in that role until it dies.

14. Skeletaure

High Score:
    The reason why his computer is still doing everything he wants it to do is partly because he's apparently only using it for old stuff! WoW is hardly the most graphically intesive game out there.

A big problem with building for upgrading at the moment is that the rate at which motherboards are chainging is insane. It feels as if Intel brings out a new socket type every year. It's almost as if they want to force us to keep buying new stuff...

15. DvorakQ

All depends on you cheddah (and your location) :) -

Honestly, I think you should go with the i5. Its seems to be in your budget sweet spot(best choice before the budget killer since i7 needs an expensive mobo too).

Get a gtx 460 (786mb with the intentions of getting a better card in 2 years; it is still a damn good card).

You should be able to get that stuff at around 760'ish. If you're in kahleefornia that 760->840 (good stopping point... if your state doesn't charge sales tax on interweb stuff I envy you.

Wait for ssd price to drop just a tad(extra 100 buckaroos in the future). I'm sure next black fryday should have some delicious deals.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  16. Skeletaure

High Score:
    Agreed. The i5 is an amazing processor. The difference between the i5 and i7 really isn't worth the money, especially compared to the difference that money could make to other parts of the system.

17. Red Aviary

Red Aviary Hogdorinclawpuff ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I built my first PC over the summer. Went with the i5-750 for CPU and ATI Radeon 8550 for GPU. Runs ME, ME2, Dragon Age, Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and all my older games on high settings very well.

18. Lord Ravenclaw

Lord Ravenclaw DLP Overlord Admin DLP Supporter

Your chem programs likely are single-process programs, definitely look to an i5/i7 for improvement there. The i3/5/7's dynamically overclock a single core if it's being used more than the others (to a shared thermal limit) to improve performance for single-process applications.

As to the person who looks down on hyperthreading, maybe in P4s, but HT in the i5/7's really whoops up in any high-thread scenario especially in I/O bound applications. Obviously, something that's completely compute bound (values in registers, no IO) HT won't do a whole lot, but fortunately for us the CPU is generally bored waiting for I/O to complete and thrives with a good implementation of HT.

I went for an i7 and haven't looked back yet. I'd get it if it isn't too much more expensive, you future proof that much longer. If it's a lot more, just get the i5-2500.

If you want to switch to a SSD later...you can, it'll require some work, but it's doable. The easiest way is to just keep your documents and what not on a different drive and reinstall Windows.

19. Finicky

Finicky First Year

While it's on my mind, I just want to say that I have the Dell U2211, which is very similar to the u2311. It is excellent. I haven't noticed any ghosting. And you don't have to worry about input lag, since it is very low in this series of monitors. Since I looked at a lot of monitors I could be mistaken, but I believe it is an LED edge lit screen. It comes on a great stand that allows height adjustment, tilt, and rotation.

Based on some of the reviews I checked out over the last day: if you get a i5-2500k or an i7-2600k, it would be a crime if you don't overclock it.

Another website to browse around is this.

(Oh, seems Jan. 25 for gtx 560)

20. DvorakQ

Ah darn, there was a gtx 460 768 mb for 94 dollars at tigerdirect today ;b...