1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Harry Potter and Salazar’s Snake by OblivionsPuppet - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by MysterioX, May 3, 2006.

1. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

Title: Harry Potter and Salazar’s Snake
    Author: OblivionsPuppet
    Fiction Rated: T
    Genre: General/Action/Adventure
    Pairings: Not mentioned yet (but I found it while searching for Hp/Gd)

Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2868469/1/

Summary: One ripple once started will spread and expand affecting every other ripple around it one single event can produce such a ripple. Read and see how one single ripple will alter the life of Harry Potter and the wizarding world, forever.

Author of The Jaded Series. Only one chapter looks like updates will be slow. Its good.

2. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I enjoyed this story even if there is onle one chapter, It begun rather well but I will wait for a few more chapters to see if I trully like it or if the first chapter was only a fluke :)

3. sirius009

sirius009 Minister of Magic

yea i searched it by entering h/gabby but it looks like he's not gonna update..

4. MysterioX

MysterioX Professor

I think the author has mentioned that this fic is not his main focus. So yea its gonna be very slow

5. SuBzEr0

SuBzEr0 First Year

Damn and i really liked the way this fic was heading u dont see alot of fics that start off 2nd or 3rd year

6. Myst

Myst Headmaster

Heh, Yea he should focus on this rather then his other one, I perfer this one.

7. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I wasn't overly struck on this fic, to be honest. First off I wasn't too happy about the abrupt departure from canon; it's all very well Harry deciding he's not happy with his past effort at Hogwarts, but there's no real reasoning behind that. To me it just felt like a poor excuse to slip JadedSeries!Harry into 2nd year without the AU background.

Secondly, I wasn't too happy with the scene where Harry gets shot up by gun-toting rookie cops aiming for the AK-wielding carjacker. The scene itself felt very forced; Harry didn't try and, for eg, get off the road into a garden, even when he saw the cars coming, nor did he do anything as the police got out of the cars and drew on the felon. More importantly there's the fact that guns are illegal in Britain, and armed police do NOT roam the streets of Surrey (I should know, seeing how I lived there for 18 years). Even if the carjacker had got his hands on a gun illegally, no way was it going to be an assault rifle, since it'd be cheaper to just buy the car. If the sole purpose of the scene was to have Harry being near-mortally wounded then he could easily have been stabbed instead without the glaring Americanisms.

Third, given that the fic opened with Harry mentioning that underage magic is illegal, I find it odd that there's no explanation for how Harry can flaunt the rules. Obviously he must know he won't be caught, or else why would he risk the consequences of casting spells?

All that said, I will keep reading as this fic goes on, but that's mainly because, having read the Jaded Series, I know the author can write well, which gives me hope that the fic will improve.

8. Rain

Rain Pirate Navigator of the 7 Seas

I really enjoyed reading this story. I liked it more than their Jaded Series, but I suppose I can't really judge by the first chapter. It gave me a "giddy" feeling I haven't been able to find in any of the stories I've read recently.

Thanks for pointing it out!

I think it's worth a read. They write well, and the changes from cannon aren't that unreasonable.

Vayne: I also noticed (its really hard not to) the "plot hole" about Harry using magic over the summer, but the author says there is an explaination in thier author's note. Probably should wait and see before judging that part. Er, and "Americanisms"? You do realize it's hard to recognize these things when you aren't from Britain? (although that one was a bit obvious.) Heh, but yeah, that scene seemed like something out of a cliche action film. I thought it was fun to read, naturally. *snicker*

9. Vayne

Vayne Second Year

I know the author promised us an explanation about the magic use, I just felt it was a little strange that we hadn't had one already, since Harry *knows* he's not supposed to be doing it. Either he should be wondering "Why aren't I getting in trouble for this?" or else know how he's able to get away with it. The fact that the whole issue has just been ignored by the characters themselves is what I'm complaining about.

On the subject of the Americanisms, yeah most fanfic authors aren't from Britain, but if you're going to write a story set in a different country then wouldn't you do a little research to avoid glaring errors like this? I mean if Harry getting shot is absolutely vital to the plot, it can happen here, there are (a few) criminals with guns, but there aren't assault rifle-wielding carjackers or squads of rookie police carrying guns. Essentially, how much can you expect from a fic that the author doesn't care about enough to spend 5 minutes doing basic research for?

10. CGB

CGB Auror

I agree, the action scene was a bit exaggerated. But it seems that this'll be an interesting story. I hope he'll update soon

11. Scrittore

Scrittore Groundskeeper

Alright so, this fic has been seemingly abandoned. It is a whole one chapter long and was last updated over three years ago.

My first problem is with Harry's grades. While CanonHarry! has no common sense, and is a dumbass, he would of gotten an O in DADA.

Also, he would of probably had gotten a higher grade in Potions than Astronomy.

Of course, we got Dursley with the old "Boy!" routine. Then of course, Harry begins to study like Hermione while training like Rocky Balboa.

In fact, I'm sure the author had this in mind while writing how he runs for miles a day:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpgq8tabXOg

At this point, I don't think I need to describe the typical fic where Harry finally wises up, and tries to do something with his life with new clothes, Dobby getting in the way, etc. Oh, and of course the realization that he almost died before.

Of course, it's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but it's nothing special. I'd rate it 2/5 and that it should be taken out of the Library ASAP.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  12. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

What an auspicious summary.

And the story itself is just as pathetic.

1/5