1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Abandoned Harry Potter and the Assassin's Creed by Grinning Lizard - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by T3t, Jan 28, 2011.

1. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Title: Harry Potter and the Assassin's Creed
    Author: Grinning Lizard
    Rating: M
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Drama
    DLP Category: Time Travel
    Pairing: None
    Chapters: 4
    Words: 49,105
    Updated: January 27, 2011
    Published: November 18, 2010

Summary: An object in the Dept of Mysteries sends Harry 800 years into the past... an adventure of Crusaders, Assassins, Warlocks and Conspiracy, because there's more to saving the world than killing a Dark Lord. HPxAC TimeTravel. Violent.
    Link: FFN, DLP WbA, PC

To my great surprise, I saw that this wasn't in the library yet. I think we all agree that this fantastic piece of work deserves a place there.

5/5.

Checked by Minion, January 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Grinning Lizard

Grinning Lizard Supreme Mugwump

You'll be surprised lol.

Cheers for rec - I was going to post ~2 more chapters prior to bullying VotN into For Reviewing it, and guarantee most of the responses right now will be 'too soon to rate', but I appreciate it all the same.

3. Juggler

Juggler Death Eater DLP Supporter

I rate it 5/5, because the chances of this actually dropping to 3/5 is pretty low (and I actually think it's 5/5 material of course). But I would've liked to wait for a few chapters for it to come into For Review.

4. T3t

High Score:
    I dunno, I felt that 51k words was enough, but I guess I'll wait a bit longer for my next For Review story.

5. World

World Oberstgruppenführer DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Word count only says so much, I at least have the feeling the story has only just started and the main stuff is yet to come (not to say that nothing has happened so far).

6. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Word count isn't all that matters; you have to take into account plot progression. Not much has happened in the story so far, and a few more chapters would strengthen its case.

That said, I think this is definitely 5/5 worthy. Take as much cocaine as you want if it helps you produce a story like this, GL. :p

Edit: Ninja'd by World.

7. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm gonna refrain from voting for the reasons above. That said, I don't see any reason this shouldn't eventually be in the Library and C2. It's an amazing piece of work GL.

8. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Groundskeeper DLP Supporter

Why is the FFN link sending me to Surfmo?

Edit: Last edited by T3t; Yesterday at 11:47 PM. Ill edit again when I've read whats posted

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011
  9. T3t

High Score:
    Fixed.
    Tooshort

10. Skykes

Skykes Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

Works for me.

11. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Perhaps posted a bit too early, but still, the quality of this story is undeniable.

Ridiculously detailed, giving a huge amount of color and vivid description to a time-period that I have only the faintest impression of, bringing it to life. In places, you can almost see the destitute nature of the times, the harsh nature of life in the Middle Ages.

I'm enjoying the re-construction the GL is undertaking with regards to Harry. Slowly, but surely, we are seeing him harden, become a survivor, someone equipped to deal with these harsh times, and what a pleasure it is to behold.

One thing this story possesses that most do not is the utter mystery surrounding which path will be trodden. In most FF, the reader almost always has a good idea on which twisted path the story will take. Not here, as I haven't the faintest idea. It literally could go anywhere, especially given the artistic freedom in this new world, where one isn't bound to stay within the limits of a canon timeline.

Wonderful work. 5/5.

12. Izzy Azrael

Izzy Azrael Muggle

Awesome read. I'm new to the group, but have been a fan of HP fan-fic for a while. So far only the Potter/Dresden crossover Denarian series has gripped me this well. Yet with how you've set p the characters and story line, i hope you dont leave us hanging. I for one want more.

13. joetheblade

joetheblade Backtraced

really like what has been posted up to now

5/5 for me

14. Jormungandr

Jormungandr Prisoner

My review will be pretty simple: I love this.

The descriptions, the character developments/interactions, they are just fantastic.

Keep it up, mate! 5/5.

15. KrzaQ

KrzaQ Denarii Host DLP Supporter

I like it and it's refreshing to read, but so far it can't be more than 4/5 for me due to my annoyance with too stupid protagonist. That said, I'll keep from voting until we're further into story, because we're at the beginning at best.

16. Johnny Farrar

Johnny Farrar High Inquisitor

I agree with what World said, the story has just begun and despite the word count nothing much has happened yet. I'd refrain from voting now and decide after the story picks pace.

From what is there, I like the writing and the flow and the immersion factor (which is really nicely done), though I do not agree with GL in how he interpreted canon Harry.

17. jarod_jared

jarod_jared Guest

Wow. This review led me to reading the first chapter of the said fanfic, but I think calling it a fanfic is too small a word for a work so vast and wonderfully spiced with intricate details. It's like watching the Rose Window.

Funnily, though, it's not the plot (which is fine, by the way) but the language used within that has enticed me to further on. Am on second chapter now!

18. Ksai

Ksai Third Year

Very colorful, filled with details and overall nicely written... Yet - it is utterly boring. No offence, but the story just does not catch my attention. By the beginning of the fourth chapter I started to skip the text in hope of finding just something to catch my interest.
    Maybe I'm missing something and this fic is a masterpiece, but I just don't see anything catchy about it.

Conclusion: 51,167 words filled with lots of details, character development and zero plot progress. It's like I'm reading one of those summer-training-fics.
    2/5

19. Mustaine

Mustaine Second Year

Great piece of work you have here, GL. Although I don't particularly care for Assassin's Creed, if in the future I need to do some research to understand this story, I'd gladly do it.

5/5

When are you posting the next chapter? I know it will probably take long, but I just want moar.

20. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

While the writing is excellent, I'm waiting for the plot to get underway. Your fic is pretty unique among 50k+ word fics in that I'm uncomfortable rating yours because it feels like it's still too early in the fic to judge.

I'm pretty sure that when this fic is complete I'll feel like it was one of the best fics I've ever read, but judging by the pacing so far that will be a very long time in the future. It really feels like you're setting up something epic and awesome, but we're 50k words into your story and I haven't really seen how this is a crossover with Assassin's Creed yet. But then again I'm not well versed in AC, so I'm sure there's lots of stuff that I am just not picking up on.

Either way, what you have so far is excellent, but I'm waiting. It's definitely better than 99% of fanfics, but it still feels like it only started to really get going at the very end of the most recent chapter.