1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot XRay Specs by Rorschach's Blot - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by Xantam, May 7, 2006.

1. Xantam

Xantam Denarii Host

Title:XRay Specs
    Author:Rorschach's Blot
    Rating: T
    Genre: Humor
    Pairing: Harry/Multi... I guess
    Summary: Oneshot Luna orders a pair of XRay glasses from the back of a non magical magazine.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2924437/1/

This is pretty damn funny. It seems it was inspired by Nonjon and Eppy the House-elf, so props to them.

2. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

He seems to get quiet a bit from Nonjon, doesn't he?

... What a half-assed effort. He writes too casual IMHO, and it lessens the quality.

Last edited: May 7, 2006
  3. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

LMAO, I loved it.

4. BlueMagikMarker

BlueMagikMarker Pirate King Yarrgh's First Mate

Just read it... it really wasn't funny at all. The author didn't even try... and he didn't give any real explanation for half of what Harry did. Also the fact that Harry thought he was dreaming for months... that seemed like it should have been a bit more important to the story than he made it.

Overall... Yawn.

5. CGB

CGB Auror

The idea itself was funny. But I think he could've put some more effort in it. So, if you don't have something better to do ... just read it.

6. cast2007

cast2007 Guest

Nice

Luck duck Harry getting all the girls. Well, he can dream can't he.

7. nonjon

nonjon Alumni Retired Staff

I like to think so.

Of course I also think I get quite a bit from Mr. Blot. Hell, it was discussions about "Make a Wish" on his yahoo group (and a conveniently timed movie on cable) that gave me the plot bunnies for "Where in the World is Harry Potter?" (which come to think of it, I should be proud of. It was Make a Wish that gave me bunnies for that one, and since then I've written two longer sequels to it completing that lil trilogy, and he's just now winding down Make A Wish. Go nonjon super-writing power!)

As for the idea he "writes too casual" I can see where you're coming from, but for a humorous fic I guess I don't expect much. Goodness knows enough people love his stuff that it doesn't bother them. Though I have that same sort of complaint for his more serious stuff like "Old Soldiers," but in humor genre all I can say is... meh, as long as it's funny.

And this was funny. Not his funniest, probably as good as an average chapter of Make a Wish in my opinion, but I've seen some unfunny "humor" fics from lesser authors. And I'd much rather an average one-shot from one of the funniest authors.

8. Xiph0

Xiph0 Yoda Admin

I agree, usually, I just saw this as one of the more.. eh? It seemed to have more potential then most humor bunnies that I've read through, kind of hoped it would've been written serious-er but not tight-assed. It was amusing, but his Blot-inserts kind of killed any lasting amusement, casual writings nice when your writing, but you should go through and cut them out/reword, imho.

My issue with this, and the reason for my short-like "half assed" comment, was that it seemed like he took a half-an-hour* and wrote out something that he thought would be amusing, which actually was.

*Yes, I do realize this is a hypocritical complaint, but I'm miles away from Blot's level.

9. zEROfrustration

zEROfrustration Second Year

Well, I'm a big fan of Rorschach's Blot, especailly his Make a wish, and I enjoyed this XRay Specs. Trust Luna to get the real thing LOL.

10. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

R'blot is so hit or miss. This story had a fun premise, and I really wanted to like it, but it's clear that he wrote it in the space of five minutes.

All of the girls are OOC, we don't get to see what happens in Harry's new room, and the ending was one of the stupidest things in fan fiction.

2/5 - He didn't even try to make this one live up to its potential.

11. Korisovra

Korisovra Headmaster

I enjoyed it from a more technical standpoint than anything. As said elsewhere, it was knocked together in about 20 or so minutes which detracts from the overall enjoyability.

Still. I think it deserves a 4/5 for originality if nothing else.