1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanical Keyboard

Discussion in 'PC Discussion' started by se7en, Feb 21, 2011.

1. se7en

se7en Professor

My roommate spilled juice all over my keyboard the other day, and I'm currently typing on a partially cleaned keyboard with a very sticky space bar, so I decided to shop/browse for a new one.

Now why not just get a regular keyboard that you can get from a friend or garage sale for two dollars?

I figured since I am a CS major and I'm on the computer for multiple hours days weeks at a time, it made sense to get an expensive keyboard that would be comfortable and responsive.

I have a friend who told me about mechanical keyboards and how they were built differently than regular rubber domed keyboards. I don't know all the specifics or anything but if anyone wants to know more: here.

Anyways, I ran into a poll quite a while ago, here on DLP, talking about college majors and there seemed to be a lot of CS majors out there. But then of course I realized soon after that DLP is a fanfiction forum and the majority of the members write on the keyboard tons.

I'm thinking of trying to get a FILCO Majestouch Tenkeyless the two on the left, but I have no clue about what kind of switch I want to get. I'm leaning more towards MX Cherry brown, but I haven't firsthand used a keyboard like this so I don't really know what to expect.

Does anyone here have a mechanical keyboard?

:3

2. JohnThePyro

JohnThePyro Headmaster

Yes, I have one. It's common knowledge, a mechanical keyboard is far better than your standard rubberized membrane ones available on the market. They last longer, and generally provide a better typing experience.

http://www.daskeyboard.com/

Buy it, love it, send me a stripper cake in return for tipping you off.

/Thread.

3. Perspicacity

Perspicacity Destroyer of Worlds ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

Where idiots are not legally permitted to vote
    High Score:
    I used to use a first-gen Matias Tactile Pro keyboard for my Mac and I still get it out when doing a lot of keyboarding. It uses individual alps switches for each key and the feedback is comparable (I think superior) to even that of the old IBM keyboards, which are the gold standard for such things. The thing is heavy, though, and loud enough that I am not allowed to bring it to work. I don't use it at home so much anymore--it's hard to use the computer late at night when it keeps people up. Still, a great buy if you can find one.

Matias made a Tactile Pro II that sucked ass and had serious quality control problems. Avoid it. Supposedly they are making a Tactile Pro III now, but I've not used it and can't comment.

4. se7en

se7en Professor

I researched a little bit more about the Das keyboard line, and figured out that they do student discounts inside the US. I thought that was pretty cool.

The only thing that I don't really like is the glossiness of the frame and the num pad. I have a smaller desk so I don't have much room for my mouse. Ideally, I would have a tenkeyless keyboard. I tried to look, but I didn't see any other sized boards on the Das site.

5. Dark Minion

Dark Minion Bright Henchman DLP Supporter Retired Staff

At work I still have an older (probably once expensive) mechanical Cherry keyboard and prefer it over the usual shit that comes with new computers. Though as we all work with open office doors the people at my end of our floor can listen to me typing.

Some coworkers actually don't like this kind of keyboard, as they have to press each key further down, though that's exactly why I prefer it.