1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Scabbed Wings by Cacasenno - T

Discussion in 'Almost Recommended' started by madeyemoody, May 7, 2006.

1. madeyemoody

madeyemoody High Inquisitor

Title: Scabbed Wings
    Author: Cacasenno
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Angst
    Pairing: Harry/Ginny (mentioned 3 times)
    Summary: Powerful but alone, Harry refuses to be convinced to return after he sets out to do what he promised with his 7th year. hbp spoilers. LAST CHAP UP! FINISHED!
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2487951/1/

Great post HBP story in my opinion worth a whirl. Harry creates his own horcrux and trains under Regulus and you meet ollivander again gets betrayed by regulus and finds out the significance of harry's eyes and his mother and a good twist on the power of "love"
    4 out of 5 stars:****

Ending after the final battle is shit harry/ginny marriage proposal

2. SuBzEr0

SuBzEr0 First Year

Oh god thax for the review now i know not to read it

3. TheIllusiveOne

TheIllusiveOne Raptured to Hell

Ugh. This makes me want to vomit. Hermione crying because Harry might be using the dark arts. Blah.

4. Mordecai

Mordecai Drunken Scotsman –§ Prestigious §– DLP Supporter

High Score:
    over all, its not bad, jsut a the H/G bit is a tad over powering, and the last chapter jsut sucks in general

5. TheNoLifeKingUK

TheNoLifeKingUK Muggle

Good Stuff

6. Patrik f

Patrik f Guest

I read this before but I could never get past the first few chapters and I dont quite know why I dont like it I just dont...

7. Cell

Cell Gunner of The Black Poison DLP Supporter

I always thought it was slash.until I read a little,the romance is too much.

8. darklordmike

darklordmike Headmaster

This one was a chore to read, even though it's only 54k words.

It's a post-HBP fic, and it incorporates horcruxes and Regulus in a fairly innovative way. The real trouble isn't with the plot so much as the rushed storytelling and the liberal amounts of angst and gag-worthy romance.

Going off to find the horcruxes on his own, Harry quickly discovers that Regulus Black is still alive. Regulus is basically crazy, but (supposedly) trains Harry in what he needs to defeat Voldemort.

When Harry returns from his 'training,' he and his friends spend ridiculous amounts of time angsting over whether he's gone dark. The Ministry even tries to arrest him because they think he'll become the next Voldemort.

All of it is patently stupid, given that Harry's actions are barely even grey by any reasonable person's standards. He whines and bitches endlessly about killing a Death Eater in self-defense, horrified that he used magic to kill someone. Blech.

The romance is Harry/Ginny, of course, and it's straight out of a soap opera. They have true lurve, but Harry feels unworthy of her. He says things like this to himself literally every chapter:

The endgame involves Ollivander, Harry's mum's secret occupation, and a truly bizarre battle that includes Sirius. It could have worked if the author had spent more time trying to make it all cohere.

tl;dr: it had some promising elements, but their combination wasn't handled well at all. The bad outweighs the good.

EDIT: The original claim above, that Harry creates his own horcrux, is misleading. The author introduces something called an 'agoncrux,' which is not the same thing.

2/5

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009