1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

Discussion in 'Books and Anime Discussion' started by Absolutista, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

Has anyone read this book? I'd like to hear what you guys thought about this.

I had a shitload of disturbing thoughts after I was finished. That book was powerful...

Damn. I was planning on writing a review of sorts but I don't even know where to begin. That thing mindfucked me big time.

2. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    It's an excellent book - beautifully written, and very moving. I'd recommend it to anyone. The movie isn't bad either, happily.

3. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

It's a very profound book. Also kind of disturbing once you get what's happening. On the whole, though, this is one of those books where I can say that I'm definitely better off for having read it.

And...there's a movie? *acquires*

4. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Yes. Yes there is. And the surprise? Its good. Or, at the very least, it was better than Let Me In.

5. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Yep. Great performances all round, even *shock* Keira Knightly! Although Carey Mulligan is the stand out (Cathy)

6. Inverarity

Inverarity Groundskeeper

Ishiguro is a great writer and this was a haunting, beautifully-constructed novel. It probably shouldn't have been marketed as "science fiction."

(My review.)

The movie was surprisingly faithful to the book, and it's just become available on Netflix.

7. Skeletaure

Skeletaure Magical Core Enthusiast ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I actually found the book to be quite dull. It didn't really impact me at all, emotionally. Mostly because the horrific thing is the basic premise, which you get in the first few pages. Everything after that is just an elaboration of that premise. By the time I got to the end of the book the horror of the premise had long worn off.

The writing itself was excellent, of course. But the story didn't really grab me. The movie looks like it might actually be better.

8. Absolutista

Absolutista Fifth Year

I read it in one sitting, and as I said it left a really strong impression on me...
    For instance the same people who supposedly try to makes the clones lives more bearable(sp), to prove they have souls, are disgusted by then. Late in the book when Kathy and Tommy follow Madame to her house, they are pretty much mocked...That irked me.. And those were the 'good' guys.
    Things like that are what disturbed me.

And the clones acceptance of there fate is so spot on on the lives of so much of us.... Idk, like, trying to run away and hide among 'natural' humans seems so alien to tthen as it is for us doing shit like that dude from "Into the Wild"

9. disposablehead

disposablehead Seventh Year

Ishiguro is a depressing motherfucker. I end up crying like a little bitch whenever I read his books. If you liked this, go for his earlier The Remains of the Day. Possibly the most tragic book I have ever read.