1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Windows XP Themes

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Richard, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Hi guys, I was wondering if there were any theme programs like StyleXP that works with Windows XP 64-Bit? I tried using StyleXP, but apparently it doesn't work with 64-Bit XP. I don't like the Windows Theme changer. Thanks to anyone who can point something out to me.

2. Zombie

Zombie Black Philip Moderator DLP Supporter

3. Nae

Nae The Violent

WindowBlinds

Stardock has lots of products for this kinda customization. But don't try to use too many. It causes a very degrading affect on your CPU performance, and a lot of times, can permanently replace your windows files (icon files in most cases).

Also, if you want a vista feel to it, Brikopacks.

Don't mess if you don't know what you are doing. You should really upgrade to a new OS, like Windows 7, if your processor is capable of 64-bit support, which means its relatively new.

4. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I'm making my system a Dual-Boot with Windows 7 32-Bit and XP Pro 64-Bit. I wanted XP on my machine. I'm installing Windows 7 later today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

5. Nae

Nae The Violent

Then why not install vmware or virtualbox and run xp on that? Will make your work pretty easy really.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I don't like using virtualization for OS's. It's limited.

7. Nae

Nae The Violent

Okay, forget Brikopacks. Not compatible with x64. Haven't been able to find something similar. WindowBlinds is okay though.

8. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

How much memory do you have, by the way? If you go over 4GB, you'll want to have 7 64-bit.

9. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

I have 4 gigs of RAM.

10. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Wat? Why the hell would you not use x64 Win7?

11. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Why would I want to use Windows 7 64-Bit?

12. silverlasso

silverlasso Minister of Magic DLP Supporter

If you ever want more than 4GB of RAM, you should get the 64-bit version (32-bit can only handle up to 4GB). There are also minor performance benefits depending on whether the applications you run have been coded with 64-bit in mind.

13. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Well, I'm not getting more than 4Gigs of RAM. I don't particularly need more than 4. 4's enough for me. All I do is play computer games and that's about it. And watch movies on occasion.

14. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

Because as time goes on, we're going to see more support for 64-bit programs, and those newer programs are going to inevitably support Windows 7. The number of programs that will run on Windows XP 64-Bit is waning. It's already hard to find games that will run on it reliably, because it just isn't a machine that testers target, which makes troubleshooting user problems very difficult. I read a Tech Support post just this morning on a game publisher's website regarding an XP64 user whose game was unplayable: "some gamers on XP64 systems have the same problem, but we don't have XP64 machines, so we can't test it, and can't fix it. Ever."

I don't believe that attitude is unique to that publisher, nor to the games industry as a whole. I'd be unsurprised if it's a growing trend throughout IT.

If you want to look at the direction we're heading, then I'll point you in the direction of tech savvy Windows gamers - Steam users. Here are the current stats of their Feb 2011 hardware survey. I have to admit that even I was surprised by the #1 OS on the list.

Code:
    Windows 7 64 bit     37.15% (+1.79%)
    Windows XP 32 bit    22.46% (-1.20%)
    Windows Vista 32 bit 12.83% (-0.50%)
    Windows Vista 64 bit 10.80% (+0.62%)
    Windows 7            10.68% (-0.31%)
    MacOS 10.6.6 64 bit  3.74%  (+2.16%)
    Windows XP 64 bit    0.91%  (+0.01%)
    MacOS 10.5.8 64 bit  0.39%  (-0.07%)
    MacOS 10.6.3 64 bit  0.35%  (-0.17%)
    Windows 2003 64 bit  0.28%  ( 0.00%)
    MacOS 10.6.5 64 bit  0.19%  (-2.21%)
    MacOS 10.6.4 64 bit  0.11%  (-0.11%)
    Other                0.11%  (-0.02%)
    Popularity isn't reason enough by itself, but it's consequences in the form of what OSes the gaming, IT, and software industries will support lends it considerable weight.

If you have the option, then I'd recommend XP 32-bit, and Win 7 64-bit if you want to run both XP/7 and have 32/64 support. With Win 7, make sure that you get at least the Pro level - that's the one that comes with superior XP compatibility. That feature [and IPSEC] was well the worth the extra $100 Pro cost me. I suppose you'd have less use for it if you're dual-booting though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
    Nae
  15. enembee

enembee The Nicromancer DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Why on earth would you want XP x64?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  16. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Because some of my older games refuse to work with Windows 7 even with Compatibility mode.

I just tried installing UXstyle for Windows XP 64...and the installation is blocking it? Wtf is this garbage?

17. yak

yak Moderator DLP Supporter Retired Staff

There's a bunch of games like that, unfortunately. I keep an XP32 box for those.

I'm honestly surprised that all of your non-Win7 games will run in XP64. It looks like a compatibility nightmare from here.

Remember how I said that a bunch of programs won't run on XP64 and you won't find much support for it any more? This is a prime example. Expect to come across this type of situation pretty frequently.

Windows XP x64 blocked? I can't install Uxstyle on my 64bit version of windows xp.

18. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Oh well. I'll use Tuneup for styling windows then. Even though it won't change the stupid background image in the program.