1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Complete End of the Line, by Shewhoguards - T

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Shinysavage, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    Title: End of the Line
    Author: Shewhoguards
    Rating: T
    Genre: Angst/humour/crossover [Discworld]
    DLP Category: The Alternates/General
    Pairing: None (discussion of some canon pairings, mainly Remus/Tonks)
    Chapters: 8
    Words: 30,933
    Updated: October 31, 2008
    Published: July 22, 2007

Summary: "Hell was, Snape decided, a crowded railway platform.Post Deathly Hallows. Contains spoilers."
    Link: FF.net

Basically, a series of one shots about those characters who didn't survive until the epilogue, being shepherded onto the eternally delayed train from Platform 9 3/4s. To say more about the concept would be to spoil. Very well written, funny at times, yet heartwrenching when appropriate. Well worth a read.

4/5

I have searched for this, but couldn't see it anywhere, despite the age of the story. Apologies if I missed it.

Checked by Minion, January 11, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2013
  2. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I read this a while ago. I liked it more than I care to admit, 5/5. Haven't read Discworld so I probably missed some references, but it was good nonetheless.

3. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Wow. I'm glad I've read at least one Terry Pratchet book. The one with Miss Susan and the time-guy, I think. But, this made this fic all the sweeter. It was pretty fluffy throughout, with a bit of Prachet's humor, but not quite on his level. The characters were pretty good, especially liked Salazar. Rowena was great as well. Death seemed a little off, though, but it has been awhile, so meh.

Writing was great, dialogue flowed, etc. A bit contrived since all you needed was love to get on the train, but not that big an issue.

All in all, I loved it. (I even teared-up with the one with Fred and George.) 5/5.

4. SmileOfTheKill

SmileOfTheKill Magical Amber

I was not a fan. I never felt like there was any amazing insight about any character in this story that other one-shots of this type try to have, and is honestly the biggest problem. Then the smaller problems included that the fluffy feeling fell as flat as the humor did. The ending chapters also started to introduce far too many characters I didn't care about, most of all the Founders.

2/5.

5. Portus

Portus Heir

Haven't read Discworld so parts were lost on me. I liked the Guard but the chapter on Peter was just awful. I lost interest there, then tried to keep going but X'd out partway through the next chapter.

I give it a 2.5/5, but in fairness, the "death personified" and "the afterlife is a train station" always pisses me off when it's written as real. The only reason I liked its use in DH was because (a) King's Cross was in fact a gateway for Harry from one world to another, and (b) Harry wasn't really dead and it was his mind's way of presenting the in-between to himself.

As always, YMMV.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  6. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

Hmm, maybe this fic would be more enjoyable for those more familiar with Terry Prachett's work. I can see why the light-heartedness could put some people off, but I guess I went with it considering that's Terry's tone and stories. (Least the one I read.)

7. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

If you're not familiar with Sir Terry Pratchett's work, go read it. Like now. Your life is not complete until you've experienced it.

That said, this series as a whole, was crap. The only one I liked at all was Tonks', and even then it wasn't the quality of the writing, but for a couple of the images he put forth. The rest was bland, boring, mediocre pap. 2/5

8. Lamora

Lamora Definitely Not Batman ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Swear I've seen this before, though maybe not on this site. I liked it and still do. 4/5.

9. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

A few individual chapters I liked, but as a whole, it was weak. It didn't mesh together well at all. The train station metaphor was stretched and irritating. It focused far too much on characters I don't give a crap about and didn't bring anything new to the table. No real character insights and the attempted humor simply wasn't humorous. It doesn't capture Pratchett's tone at all.

2/5

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  10. Silas LaCroix

Silas LaCroix Squib

I must admit, that I am not familiar with Terry Prachett's work, but I find this fic very enjoyable. The writing and its light-heartedness appeals to me for some reason. It is good to know a few minor characters motivations in life and in death, and I also enjoyed the founders' characterization. Death's personification is awesome, as is the train metaphor I would give it a 4/5, not 5 because I don't get the last chapter, probably because my unfamiliarity with Discworld.

11. Shinysavage

Shinysavage Madman With A Box ~ Prestige ~

High Score:
    The last chapter definitely references Discworld more directly, specifically Thief of Time
    The teacher is Susan Death, Death's granddaughter, and she has a history of taking her students through space and time to facilitate learning

12. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

That's the one. Couldn't for the life of me remember it(also too lazy to use google.) Great read.

/off topic.

Story is still good in my book.

13. Alabastard

Alabastard Muggle

Liked it, give it 4/5 stars. I tried reading a book Terry Pratchett co-authored, but I eventually lost interest in it. This I liked though.