1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP The Star Empire by RahXephon - M/NC-17

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Pasta Sentient, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Title: The Star Empire
    Author: RahXephon
    Rating: M / NC-17
    Genre: Sci-Fi/Adventure
    DLP Category: Dark Arts/Time Travel
    Pairing: Possible serious Harry/OC...Also a Rapist Harry

FF.net Stats:
    Chapters: 65
    Words: 382,420
    Updated: September 4, 2013
    Published: October 24, 2012

Summary: A reviled Harry Potter was imprisoned and exiled into space. Many centuries later, he wakes up to a solar system devoid of magic, but infested with crime, piracy and corruption. He adjusts to this violent era like a fish to water. Dark!Harry, AU, OCs.

Reposted on ff.net October 2012 with almost identical content. though scenes violating ff.net's rules are removed. Apparently the author intends to continue the story.
    Fanfiction.net: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8637910/1/The-Star-Empire-The-Succession-of-Magic

Review: Personally I think this fic deserves a solid 4/5 so far. The very fact that it is original and does not go the route of a crossover makes it very unique in my eyes. RahXephon's Dark Harry is a tad unbelievable at times; I would have liked a better explanation of Harry's descent into evil, but overall RahXephon meshes this Harry into a new Universe quite well. The Universe is what makes this story so unique. It is a futuristic setting but not a crossover. The OC's seem to be given some thought and I can see a good bit of character development approaching in future chapters. All in all, a good solid fic that I will be watching with interest...

Checked by Minion, January 19, 2014
    Former older versions of the story have been taken down. If someone knows where to find an older copy of the story, please inform the library staff.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  2. iLost

iLost Minister of Magic

The writing seemed decent, but there was a bit too much exposition at the start. To be honest I lost interest in it. So no rating.

3. Randeemy

Randeemy Headmaster DLP Supporter

Sounds horrendous.

Also a world devoid of magic seems rather pointless when magic is the biggest attraction of Harry Potter.

4. Tenages

Tenages Order Member DLP Supporter

The writing is simple and formulaic. The author constantly gets idioms and and such wrong, but seeing as English is his second language that's understandable to a degree. It is irritating, however, just how often it happens. In the first chapter there's far too much tell and almost no show, although that improves later. The author also severely overuses passive voice.

The plot's ludicrous and doesn't seem all that well sketched out. It would work far better as a crackfic than the serious work the author seems to be going for.

Objectively it's terrible. Normally I would rage on this fic. Despite all that for some reason it entertains me and I find it far more enjoyable than most of the stuff out there. I'm enjoying Harry in such a different setting kicking ass. Guilty pleasure I guess.

Recycle Bin worthy I think but definitely no more.

EDIT: I think the reason I like it so much is that it's very different to most of the stuff out there. The author takes it far from the traditional boundaries of Hogwarts. That takes guts and some originality and it enhances what would otherwise be a weak fic.

3/5

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  5. Pasta Sentient

Pasta Sentient Disappeared

Magic is still in the story...however Harry is the only Wizard left that we know of.

6. Anarchy

Anarchy Half-Blood Prince DLP Supporter

Seems like a worse version of Browncoat, of course without it being a crossover. Perhaps its a bit unfair to compare it like that.

7. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I stopped reading partway through chapter 2. Severely in need of a beta who is fluent in English.

8. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

I couldn't get into the flow of reading Browncoat, but this is very easily readable, despite the errors. Enjoyable. 4/5.

9. Greener

Greener Sixth Year

I like the premise behind the story - basic 'world vs Harry', but it's all after the fact (and what precisely happened after is still a mystery). I hope that the author doesn't write himself into a corner (and have to make it over-the-top to compensate) with the limits that he's placed on Harry's power, but I am glad that he's not falling into the superpower!harry trap.' And the realism he bring to the SF aspect is very appreciated.

You can see that his characters each have own motivations and background, and while some of their details can be plainly written (stated rather than revealed), he's trying to flesh out his primary ones.

It's an enjoyable read, not a favourite, but one that I'll read whenever he comes out with a new chapter. 3/5

10. gbbz

gbbz Professor

Extremely enjoyable and well balanced. As most fan fiction stories this one would greatly benefit from a decent editor, but nonetheless not only is the basic premise sound but the execution goes well beyond average.

Harry is limited in his power and has to rely on others, which introduces several different characters. Humanity has advanced and developed in 1000 years, but has only colonized the Solar System, which brings me back to really old SCIENCE fiction stories.

All things considered, a very satisfying read that promises nice space opera candy for all of us.

4/5

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  11. calutron

calutron Unspeakable

This isn't a half-bad story, strongly recommended for scifi nuts, it also comes with a fast update rate. (4/5)

12. Portus

Portus Heir

Awful. Just awful. And yet I've read all 10 of the posted chapters, and I for one HATE space opera stories. I've never read a SW novel and I hated most every star trek episode I ever suffered through.

It's the guiltiest of guilty pleasures, and I'll read more if it doesn't take too long to update and/or finish. Plus I want to see Harry fuck Claris. There, I said it.

13. gbbz

gbbz Professor

We all do.

14. Rhys

Rhys High Inquisitor

I was pleasantly surprised by this. Sure there are the rampant errors, but the nifty job the author's done of world building makes up for it to me. This fic also has a concrete goal for Harry, which is something these sandbox experiences tend to lack and something that'll pay off as the story moves on.

This fic reminds me of Hotpoint's stuff more than anything else, where you know it's just popcorn but you can't stop eating it. 4/5

15. Antivash

Antivash Until we meet again... DLP Supporter Retired Staff

This barely qualifies as harry Potter. Its A character with only a vague resemblance to Harry in appearance and having magic. To be completely honest, this wouldn't be a terrible story if it was posed as ORIGINAL fiction, vs Fan fiction.

That said, its a terrible terrible story. Bad characters, bad ideas, bad execution, thousands of thousands of troupes... But I can't look away.

-5/5 to the tenth power of ten million.

16. merchantofam

merchantofam Fifth Year DLP Supporter

I wouldn't say its the one of the worst stories I have read, nor would I say its one of the best. However, for being somewhat original I have to give the points to what would've been an average story.

I have to admit there are some parts of the story that make want to cringe, or at the very least scratch my head and wonder what the hell is going on. Otherwise it's a decent fanfic.

Ditto! :facepalm

17. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I gotta say, I tend to look at a story where it says "rapist main character" and just have absolutely no desire to read it. :/

18. aaltwal

aaltwal Auror

Unless it was written by Vash.

19. Innomine

Innomine Alchemist ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Nope, still haven't read Vash's rape fics.

20. Rynonis

Rynonis Slug Club Member

And when I saw the world described I thought for sure Firefly! But nay it was not to be. I will just have to content myself with reading Browncoat. At least there is one good one...