1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot Sole Survivor by Voice of the Nephilim - M

Discussion in 'The Alternates' started by Voice of the Nephilim, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Title: Sole Survivor
    Author: Voice of the Nephilim
    Rating: M
    Genre: General
    DLP Category: The Alternates
    Pairing: n/a
    Words: 16,348
    Published: April 8, 2011

Summary: A plague has swept across Britain, wiping out the Muggle population. Ignorant of his heritage and the magical world, a ten year-old Harry Potter is left to fend for himself against two factions, each plotting and conspiring to find him before the other.

The second place entrant to the March DLP AU contest. Follows a ten-year old Harry Potter, and his journey through a post-apocalyptic world of sorts, where a plague has wiped out almost all of the muggle population.

Checked by Minion, January 9, 2013

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2013
  2. Swimdraconian

Swimdraconian Denarii Host DLP Supporter

A hands-down five out of five. I have no doubt that this story will make it into the Library - this is easily one of the best pieces I've seen over the last year.

/adds fic to favourites

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Agreed - a oneshot ranking up there with Cauterize and SFFP.

4. Hero of Stupidity

Hero of Stupidity Villain of Sensibility ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    It's a good one-shot, but I would like to read a follow up, maybe a few years later scene and if possible a lot of zombie scenes. But aside that intriguing idea, Harrys reaction seems to me a little bit too mature for a little kid.

In conclusion: Goes to favorites.

5. Andro

Andro Master of Death DLP Supporter

So the first scene I'd read from the 500 words board was misleading. I was expecting a zombie apocalypse story, but almost immediately the plot veered away from that. I feel robbed of what was shaping up to be the greatest zombie apocalypse story ever.

It is a good story. Mainly I like the atmosphere and how the plot centers on Harry wandering through the skeleton of society before focusing nicely. Only thing is that Remus was too lackadaisical about trusting Harry to wind up at Hastings Castle in one piece. He didn't have a choice since the Aurors cut their meeting short, but adults just don't trust children with that kind of luck and intelligence.

I do like how the backstory is limited through Harry's perspective, but the ambiguity is too unrestricted to make speculation worthwhile. There's no way to move from "This is what I'm speculating" and "This theory is better than the others."

4/5.

6. Richard

Richard Supreme Mugwump

Wow. Absolutely fucking awesome story! 5/5 from me. This is such a great story, I can't believe how well written it is.

7. Mock Moniker

Mock Moniker Professor

Easy 5/5 from me.

8. Striker

Striker What's up demons?

Very interesting twist at the end there. Great oneshot, though I do wish it could have been continued in one way or another.

Either way I'd give it a 5/5. Definitely Library worthy.

9. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

Great subtle twist at the end. I wish you'd continue it, but its amazing either way. 5/5

10. Silas LaCroix

Silas LaCroix Squib

I can not say anything other, than those before me. It is an awesome story. I loved the way you handled it, and that there are a lot of things you leave open for our imagination. Altough a sequel few years leter would be appreciated.
    Nonetheless, soild 5/5.

11. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Thanks for the kind words, all. I do have ideas to continue this, but right now I have too many other projects, and the ideas for this are too large for me to confront at this point. Political ramifications of an entire population dying off, England becoming a wizarding state, the lack of incoming muggleborns, Voldemort being at war with the rest of the wizarding world for shattering the Statue of Secrecy, stuff like that.

In case anyone was wondering, here's the backstory I was working from. It might have holes, but it was enough to get the one-shot done.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> The backstory:

Voldemort was killed by Harry, as in canon, but resurrected shortly after by the Philosopher’s Stone, which the Lestranges acquired. Voldemort wins after several years, quietly taking over Britain, though Dumbledore and the Order still stand against him.

One of Voldemort’s alchemists (Snape) develops a muggle plague. He uses it as a bargaining chip against the Order, but before the deadline, it’s accidentally released.

Knowing the death of the Dursleys would destroy the wards, Dumbledore sends the Order after Harry, to scour Britain. Voldemort knows Dumbledore hid Harry among muggles, and has his ‘Aurors’ also searching for him.

Voldemort has magical detectors all over Britain, creating a net. He uses accidental magic outbursts to track Harry, though response is slow at first. Only at the end is Voldemort able to find Harry. Knowing his grotesque form won’t endear Harry, he dresses as Lupin (who was captured and interrogated at the house, offscreen).

He sees the value in a magically gifted child, and plans to mold him into a worthy pureblooded wizard, who will carry his flag into the future. Whether this works or not is beyond the scope of this one-shot.

12. Ched

Ched Da Trek Moderator DLP Supporter ⭐⭐

Pretty awesome story. I'm glad that it doesn't continue past being a one-shot given the twist at the end. Don't misunderstand -- I loved the twist, and it was properly subtle -- but if we were to see this story continued I'd rather not have it go that direction so quickly.

5/5 for sure. Very nicely done.

13. Gulliver

Gulliver Second Year

5/5.

/filler