1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

Oneshot The Crown of Mètis by Megii of Mysteri OusStranger - T

Discussion in 'Dark Arts' started by Stalin's Pipe Organs, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Stalin's Pipe Organs

Stalin's Pipe Organs Auror

Title: The Crown of Mètis
    Author: Megii of Mysteri OusStranger
    Rating: T
    Genre: Drama/Spiritual
    DLP Category: Dark Arts
    Pairing: N/A
    Words: 17,054
    Published: April 25, 2011

Summary: 1957 A tree in Albania, she said. Straightforward enough, right? Not if someone else got there first. Tom's journey in acquiring the vessel for his fifth Horcrux just got that much trickier. An exploration of White Magic. Canon-compliant. Longshot. OC
    Link: The Crown of Mètis

I always like stories that focus on Voldemort. This one is one of the most engrossing. Voldemort is very well characterized along with the OC in this fic, whom I wont spoil.

Unequivocally 5/5

Always nice to find gems like these.

Checked by Minion, Nov. 25, 2012

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2012
  2. Voice of the Nephilim

Voice of the Nephilim Death Eater DLP Supporter

Very high quality piece. I especially enjoyed the forays into the nature of Light magic, which was handled with a grace not often seen.

Easy 5/5

3. T3t

T3t Purple Beast of DLP ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I'm giving it a 5/5, but mostly for uniqueness. While the writing is good, it's not amazing. The rarely-explored content of Light/White magic and Tom Riddle/Voldemort's search for power as well as his character development is what makes this a great piece of work.

4. Nooblet

Nooblet Sixth Year DLP Supporter

Loved it. Haven't been enamoured by a non-DLP story in a long time, and this really captivated me. As mentioned, it had a very interesting take on Light magic, and both Voldemort and the OC were very well written. Definitely deserves the Library.

5/5

5. Aekiel

Aekiel Angle of Mispeling ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    I quite liked it. Verdandi was an interesting character and light magic was approached with a view to making it more down to earth than most try.

5/5

6. The Berkeley Hunt

The Berkeley Hunt Headmaster

Not worth 5, but a solid 4/5. As stated, explores new territory, but I wasn't totally drawn in by the writing, and the formation of Voldemort's and Verdandi's relationship was glossed over making the later portion harder to believe. That said, a great read with some really cool concepts that should be explored further.

7. ParseltonguePhoenix

ParseltonguePhoenix Unspeakable

Eh. I want to like this. It's pretty well written, gives us a new look at certain magic, and Voldemort as a protagonist (when done well) is generally fun.

But I don't. For me, the first couple of paragraphs (as a summary of Voldemort's travels and studies) was the most interesting part. I liked what the author wanted to do, and that's create an equal and opposite character for Tom Riddle and his magic of choice, but I don't think it was really pulled off.

One of the problems for me was the parts where we're shown Light Magic as based on the bodily fluids of a virginal witch. Saliva and piss, as purifying agents of a magical field? Come on.

I was also pretty bored with the OC and the relationship between Tom and she. I might be the odd one out here, but I don't care for the story.

I'm going to give it a 3/5 strictly for the mechanics and concept. It was, again, well written and creative... but I finished it and the first thing that came to mind as a description was "meh."

8. ASmallBundleOfToothpicks

ASmallBundleOfToothpicks Professor

High quality, but the execution was a bit off. Verdandi seemed a bit passive, and I found her to be a little unlikeable for it. I would put this at a 4/5 for sheer quality of writing and concept, but a definite plot failure, in that there was no tangible conflict.

9. Garden

Garden Supreme Mugwump

5/5, and well deserved.

10. Brown

Brown Third Year

Liked it a lot. Minor issues with execution.

4/5

11. Portus

Portus Heir

I must've been in a fever-dream (again), but I could swear I've already commented on this.

It's very good, and I can see some peoples' disappointment about
    there not being an epic fight between Voldemort and Verdandi at the end. Also, the description of Verdandi went a long way toward my thinking of her as Cate Blanchett from Elizabeth, though not necessarily in a good way.
    Nonetheless, I really enjoyed it, weirdness notwithstanding.

4.5/5, rounded up to 5/5 for the originality.