1. DLP Flash Christmas Competition + Writing Marathon 2024!

Competition topic: Magical New Year!

Marathon goal? Crank out words!

Check the marathon thread or competition thread for details.

Dismiss Notice
  2. Hi there, Guest

Only registered users can really experience what DLP has to offer. Many forums are only accessible if you have an account. Why don't you register?
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Introducing for your Perusing Pleasure

New Thread Thursday
    +
    Shit Post Sunday

READ ME
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Shinobi of The High Seas

Discussion in 'Trash Bin' started by tragicmat1, May 4, 2011.

1. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Title: Shinobi of the High Seas
    Author: Kenchi618
    Rating: M
    Fandom: Naruto/One Piece Crossover
    Status: WIP, 31 chapters, 350k+ words. ~1-2 week per update
    Summary: Naruto's age has passed him by as his time is over. Now he attempts to seek out a place for himself in the new world, and it's bigger than he ever figured it to be! Will be epic in length.
    Link: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/6314806/1/Shinobi_of_the_High_Seas

Guilty pleasure for the most part. I would've given it a 4/5 at the beginning for the plot idea, although I think I'm dropping that down to 3/5 with recent updates.
    His writing is superb( edit: Ok, maybe not so much as I reread initial chapters o,o) , but the voice of each character isn't made properly and I feel as though they are converging and becoming too similar to each other. Fight scenes are good, smut is meh (he does gives warnings and skipping them don't affect the plot). A very good story for a crossover though. Now we just have to wait until somebody could actually give Naruto a challenge in a fight.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  2. Hashasheen

Hashasheen Half-Blood Prince

First fucking sentence of this story:

You feel like revising your statement?

*continues reading 1st chapter*

Yeah, fuck this bullshit. This writer fails at exposition, characterization and dialogue. It's also a crossover with One-Piece, which adds to the fail since those two 'verses don't mesh well. The writer also proceeds to write the english version of the Japanese words right after it, has Naruto mimick Jiriaya's boast, can't even write a decent fight scene:

Fuck this shit. 1/5.

3. tragicmat1

tragicmat1 Death Eater

Ah, wow. It must've been too long since I've read first chapters. In any case though, I'd still give it a try. It's 350k long, and there's probably 200k words worth of junk or stuff that could be better, but there's still a good 150k that I think is worth reading. If anything, it should be a good enough read for anybody that's bored o,o

4. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Yeah there's your problem right there. Most crossovers are shit and this is no exception. The writing is bland, characterization is terrible, and Naruto is an immortal Gary-Stu. If I could give this a zero, I would've. 1/5

5. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

That's pretty much what kills this story completely. If the main character of a story is a flawless immortal, then there's nothing else left in the story to tell. In any case, this author's stories seem to work only as guilty pleasures, and this one doesn't work even as that.

6. Kensington

Kensington Denarii Host DLP Supporter

This is purely a guilty pleasure fic. Characterization is weak, Naruto is stupidly over-powered, the relationships are retarded (Naruto gets practically every girl) and the author has the bad habit of writing fight scenes that go on for too long.

However... the story is fun to read. The author generally has an incredibly fast update pace and the story does make for easy reading.

Depending on my mood, the story itself oscillates between bad and good for me. So I'll rate it average.

3/5.

7. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

Most of Kenchi's work is purely in the guilty pleasure realm. The most readable of them is probably Sealed Kunai.

If there's anything he's good at, though, is producing vast amounts of work. It's a great time waster.

8. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

It says something, when the "most readable" of his stuff is named after that cliche.

And isn't that the one where Naruto is secretly not a dumb happy go lucky prankster but a super!awesome!elite!anbu that was too super!awesome so they(Sarutobi/Jiraiya) sealed his memories/personality/powers. Then the seal breaks during the chunin exams and he shows everyone how super!awesome he is.

9. Synchro

Synchro High Inquisitor DLP Supporter

Yes, that's the one. Though, I have to say, guilty-pleasure-super!Naruto or not, the twists in that story are really entertaining. Its also really far afield from where canon was at a similar point in the timeline, so that's a point in favour.

On the current topic, forgot to put a rating for the story on my last post, so I'll do it here.

2/5

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  10. Tehlaziboi

Tehlaziboi Ninja Meido

Maybe it's because I haven't read Naruto since the Gaara rescue arc or just haven't been following the fandom unless recommended by people, but I have absolutely no idea what this "Sealed Kunai" cliche is. Can someone please explain to this ignorant lamb?

11. Psychotic Cat

Psychotic Cat Chief Warlock

See, once upon a time someone had the bright idea that the jinchuriki -people with nigh immortal beasts of pure slaughtering power sealed into their bellies- are in fact exactly the same as those scrolls Tenten uses to store kunai in.

No ones afraid of a scroll with a kunai in it are they? No of course not, that would be silly. So that proves it, doesn't it. There's no reason to ever be afraid of a jinchuriki. Thus, as soon as Naruto discovers what he is the author will devote the rest of the chapter to wanking on about what an amazingly brilliant piece of logic it is.

Basically, it's an absolutely retarded piece of fail!logic, that the fandom has jumped on like it's a naked woman at well... an anime convention.

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  12. Aerylife

Aerylife Not Equal

High Score:
    Because it's obviously to much to ask to come up with your own interesting analogy so just use a stupid one.

13. Heleor

Heleor EsperJones DLP Supporter

I agree with you in most cases, but in the story we're referring to the sealing in question is the memories of Danzo's training, not the Jinchuuriki seal.

14. TheWiseTomato

TheWiseTomato Prestigious Tomato ~ Prestige ~ DLP Supporter

High Score:
    Like all Kenchi work, it's best for what it is and where it goes, but fairly bad at how it gets there. Interesting in ideas, but execution suffers. Best read through skimming the bad parts and turning a blind eye to technical mishaps. Considering he has something like one million words posted though....the fics aren't so terrible as to negate the guilty pleasure reading time.

Just do yourself a favour and don't read his 'Fullmetal Shinobi'.

Don't.

15. Xion

Xion Robot Overlord Admin

Shinobi of the High Seas has been updated with a new chapter.

Story Stats
    Chapters: 53
    Words: 588,009
    Updated: 2018-11-26 22:08:49 UTC
    Published: 2010-09-11 04:06:50 UTC
    Previously updated: about 1 year ago

Brought to you by Scryer story thread updates.